Perfect Union banner

marlin 336 sights help & options questions

12K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  jismail 
#1 ·
hey, i have a few questions and any help would be appreciated.

i know this is a dumb question, but how do you adjust windage on a marlin 336? the manual says "gently tap the dovetail portion in the direction you want to move POI" basically. well, first of all, i'm not sure which part is the dovetail portion. i asumed it was the back part of the sight you look though. i broke a tiny peice off my sight trying to tap this part. :eek:

i absolutely love the way this gun shoots and looks, but i can't seem to get the sights dead on :angry: my elevation is close.

also, are there any sight options/parts that can be ordered to improve the sights. i don't want to go crazy, i like this rifle simple. i'm not really interested in scopes or red dots for this rifle. i just thought maybe there is a better sight out there i could swap out?

thanks!

#3 ·
looks interesting. is it hard to install yourself? any special tools required?

also, many reviews state that you have to replace the front site with this also? is this true? what front site would one use to replace?

thanks for your help.

#5 ·
You might try these.
http://skinnersights.com
I have several styles from them.

I had never done this until I bought one.
Took me about 5 minutes maybe to install both front and rear.

I haven't tried any other manufacturers, so I have no comparison.

Their barrel-mounted one is the closest to the Marlin factory sight.
You tap your old rear sight out, tapping from the left to the right, and tap these in.
You will need to file a hair off of the dovetail because they are pretty much
always made just a shade larger to account for differences in the barrel dovetail.
This is true of all dovetail sights.

Their lo-profile is the easiest - it just screws into one of the 4 holes on top of the receiver.
I have one of these also.

With all replacement rear sights, you may or may not need a new front sight.
Again, pretty much true of all choices, from what I read.
I bought the front sight anyway, and just filed it down until it was just right.

Look over on http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/index.php?board=8.0
This is their forum devoted to the 336.
What these guys don't know about the Marlin hasn't been invented yet.
For some reason, the site is down right now (0800 Sunday), but it'll be up soon.

#6 ·
Their lo-profile is the easiest - it just screws into one of the 4 holes on top of the receiver.
I have one of these also.
are their "low profile" the ones called "express?" i really like these (at least the looks). if you mount a sight on your receiver, i assume you must remove the factory sights. i didn't see any of their sights that fit on the barrel, but i must have just missed them. which are your favorite overall? (looks, function)

and thanks seagoing! actually, i had just came across these in a search last night. now their site is down....typical luck for me ;)

i think the express model looks very nice, probably the best looking option i have seen. seems to get good review on function as well.

the one thing i am concerned about is the replacement of the front sight. there doesn't seem to be any reference like..."this front site goes with this rear sight"....it all just seems like maybe, this will work, maybe not.

thanks for the info on the forum as well, i'm sure that will help a lot!

#8 ·
The "dovetail" is that triangle at the base of the sight where it goes into the barrel. The rear sight is the one you adjust for windage.Just use something like a brass drift & hammer to drift it right or left. The old timers would file the notch on the rear leaf or top of the front to fine tune the sights. As far as after market sights, I've got an XS ghost sight set on the Marlin 1894 and the Williams peep sets on the others. Some places sell the rear Williams peeps by themselves, but I found it's better to get the set with the fiber optic front from someplace like Natchez.com

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cf...il&brand=WU&prodID=WU70018&prodTitle=Williams Rifle Fire Sight Peep Set

#9 ·
The "dovetail" is that triangle at the base of the sight where it goes into the barrel. The rear sight is the one you adjust for windage.Just use something like a brass drift & hammer to drift it right or left. The old timers would file the notch on the rear leaf or top of the front to fine tune the sights. As far as after market sights, I've got an XS ghost sight set on the Marlin 1894 and the Williams peep sets on the others. Some places sell the rear Williams peeps by themselves, but I found it's better to get the set with the fiber optic front from someplace like Natchez.com

Williams Rifle Fire Sight Peep Set - Natchez Shooters Supplies Rifle Fire Sight Peep Set
what do you think of the XS sights? easy to install? do they look/function good?

#10 ·
A ghost ring is a very quick sight & shoot system and is exultant for a personal defense weapon or spooking that game out of brush etc, where you’ll need that quick shot. Peeps tend to be a little more accurate on those longer hunting type shots, (some say they’re as accurate as crosshairs on scopes) and even helps with ageing eyes that don’t want to go to a scope yet.

As far as installation goes with the XS sight the entire front sight is one piece. All you have to do is drift out the old front sight blade ( make sure the sight base is supported on the opposite side or they will break !) and unscrew the two screws holding the base to the barrel and screw on the new one, with a little thread locker (trust me it’s good to use thread locker on these things). The rear sight just screws onto the rear two (scope) holes on top of the receiver.

As for the Williams Peep set, the rear screws onto the receiver just like the XS system, but the front “firesight” uses the original sight base. You just have to drift out the old and drift in the new. Again, make sure the sight base is supported on the opposite side or they will break ! I’ve found that smoothing the edges of the dovetail and base where they go into each other with some emery cloth will make’em easier to start. As far as the original rear, just flip the leaf down out of the way.

#12 ·
Is a 36 close enough to the 336 to use the parts?

I have a 1945 36RC and seem to be having a tough time finding sights that are advertised as specific to the 36. Are the sights listed for the 336 fully compatible? Are all the dove tails, screw holes etc in the same location and size?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.