Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 12:20   #1
Points: 5,289, Level: 46 Points: 5,289, Level: 46 Points: 5,289, Level: 46
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Last Achievements

Henry .22 malfunctioning

I have a Henry lever action .22, and it has been a great rifle. However, recently when I've shot it, sometimes the spent shell won't eject out when I cycle the action. The action opens, and the next round comes up to be put in the chamber, but the spent shell is still sitting there, and then the bullet of the next round just bumps into the back of the already spent shell. This causes a real annoying problem getting both of them out. Anyone have any similar problems? I've tried cleaning it thoroughly, and it still did it. Thanks ahead of time for any info.

Last edited by GunnerDrummer; 12-06-2008 at 12:23.
GunnerDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 21:04   #2
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by GunnerDrummer View Post
I have a Henry lever action .22, and it has been a great rifle. However, recently when I've shot it, sometimes the spent shell won't eject out when I cycle the action. The action opens, and the next round comes up to be put in the chamber, but the spent shell is still sitting there, and then the bullet of the next round just bumps into the back of the already spent shell. This causes a real annoying problem getting both of them out. Anyone have any similar problems? I've tried cleaning it thoroughly, and it still did it. Thanks ahead of time for any info.
Is it the same for different cartridge mfgs ?
Old 12-07-2008, 20:19   #3
Points: 5,289, Level: 46 Points: 5,289, Level: 46 Points: 5,289, Level: 46
Last Achievements

Well I've always just bought the decently cheap stuff (box of around 500 or so, Federal, usually). That might be the problem, but I'm not totally sure. I've shot other kinds of ammo through it as well though. I've never had problems with the federal until recently. What kind of ammo do you use Gossman?

Last edited by GunnerDrummer; 12-15-2008 at 21:32.
GunnerDrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 14:30   #4
Points: 4,150, Level: 40 Points: 4,150, Level: 40 Points: 4,150, Level: 40
Last Achievements

Sounds like an extractor problem. Have you checked to see if there is a lot of crud under the extractor? Send Henry an E-mail, they will respond within one day...they will make sure your problem gets fixed.
ArizonaShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:39   #5
Points: 5,607, Level: 48 Points: 5,607, Level: 48 Points: 5,607, Level: 48
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by ArizonaShooter View Post
Sounds like an extractor problem. Have you checked to see if there is a lot of crud under the extractor? Send Henry an E-mail, they will respond within one day...they will make sure your problem gets fixed.
I second that. Check your extractor. I had a marlin 336 that i bought on an auction cheap and it wouldnt extract the rounds. Replaced the extractor and it works fine. I forgot what it cost, but it was cheap.
Old 03-13-2009, 20:34   #6
Banned
Last Achievements

I tried to find a diagram of a Henry 22 lever action rifle so that I could see what type of extractor and ejector was in the rifle, but had no luck. A couple of things. It sounds like the extractor is pulling the case out of the chamber, if so, the problem could be with the ejector. If the extractor looks OK to you, you might also try really cleaning the chamber well, especially if you have shot any shorts out of it. If the chamber is dirty, it will slow extraction. If the ejector is not working properly, it will not kick the fired round out and the next round will catch on it. Let us know what you find. Is the firing pin also the ejector or is the ejector separate?

Best regards, John K

Last edited by dkac2; 03-17-2009 at 20:21.
dkac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 00:08   #7
Points: 2,431, Level: 29 Points: 2,431, Level: 29 Points: 2,431, Level: 29
Last Achievements

It is the extractor.Had the same problem with a brand new gun.They replaced it and said it had been a problem on a few guns.It has been fixed they say.

SLR
RRMan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 05:52   #8
Points: 2,575, Level: 30 Points: 2,575, Level: 30 Points: 2,575, Level: 30
Last Achievements

Henry has top notch customer service, give them a call or an E-mail, they will either send you a replacement part, or an overnight box to ship your rifle back to the factory for a repair.
Mikeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 14:27   #9
Points: 7,287, Level: 56 Points: 7,287, Level: 56 Points: 7,287, Level: 56
Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1% Activity: 2.1%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by dkac2 View Post
I tried to find a diagram of a Henry 22 lever action rifle so that I could see what type of extractor and ejector was in the rifle, but had no luck. A couple of things. It sounds like the extractor is pulling the case out of the chamber, if so, the problem could be with the ejector. If the extractor looks OK to you, you might also try really cleaning the chamber well, especially if you have shot any shorts out of it. If the chamber is dirty, it will slow extraction. If the ejector is not working properly, it will not kick the fired round out and the next round will catch on it. Let us know what you find. Is the firing pin also the ejector or is the ejector separate?

Best regards, John K
Try here. www.henryrepeating.com/freestuff.cfm
Old 05-17-2009, 22:23   #10
Banned
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by copen View Post
Thank You. I like having as many exploded diagrams for as many weapons as possible.

John K
dkac2 is offline   Reply With Quote