Lever Action Talk Lever Action firearms of all makes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2008, 15:33   #1
Full Member
Points: 3,437, Level: 36 Points: 3,437, Level: 36 Points: 3,437, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11
Marlin 1894 Cowboy update - not a happy camper

Just thought I'd give an update. I ordered the Marlin Cowboy in .44 mag and picked it up January 17. Here it is January 24 and I still haven't been able to fire it. Between work and the rainy weather we are having, it just hasn't worked out.

Anyway, the first night I broke down the gun to clean it before shooting as I usually do with new or used guns I acquire. First thing I noticed was how rough the wood was at the stock to receiver fit. There were actually slivers of wood sticking out where it had been milled. I figured, 'not that big a deal, I'll take the stock off eventually and sand the edges smooth'. Ran a bore snake through the barrel then discovered some nicks on the outside of the barrel close to where it fits in the receiver; looks like the lathe chuck slipped or something. I know they were there when it left the factory because they were blued over. Again, I rationalized; 'it's only a rifle, I'll live with it'.

Then last night I decided that since I can't shoot the gun, at least I'll take the stock off and smooth out the edges. I did both the area where it fits to the receiver and at the butt plate. Used a brown permanent marker to hide any unfinished wood (not a lot because I didn't take any wood off, just smoothed things a little). Went to put the stock back on the receiver when I noticed the front site was way off center of the barrel. I knew it wasn't like that when I picked up the gun so I took my thumb and pushed on the sight. It just slid over in the dovetail very easily.

So, I'm going back to the dealer and I'm going to get him to send the gun back. I'm sure Marlin will make it right; it just irritates me that I haven't even been able to shoot the gun yet and it has to go back to the factory. Hope Marlins service is as good as Henry has a reputation for.
__________________
What part of "... shall not be infringed" do you not understand?!
DennisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 17:21   #2
Full Member
Points: 7,904, Level: 59 Points: 7,904, Level: 59 Points: 7,904, Level: 59
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Der Verge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The unemployment center that looks like a mitten.
Posts: 980
That sucks. I have never heard of lousy quality out of Marlin. I am sure they will fix it all up for you. Sooner than later I hope.
__________________
"That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable"
Der Verge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:09   #3
Full Member
Points: 3,437, Level: 36 Points: 3,437, Level: 36 Points: 3,437, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11
Yea, I went back and forth between Marlin and Henry. Everyone said Marlin was the way to go, much more durable and everything. I guess my usual luck held true; if anyone will have a problem it will be me.
__________________
What part of "... shall not be infringed" do you not understand?!
DennisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 09:19   #4
Ash
Full Member
Points: 5,211, Level: 46 Points: 5,211, Level: 46 Points: 5,211, Level: 46
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Ash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Central Indiana
Posts: 271
That's a bummer. I guess you may have one that slipped through the cracks. I hope they get you a different one.

An 1894C (357 mag./.38 spl.) is on my wish list.

Cheers
Ash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 13:11   #5
Full Member
Points: 3,510, Level: 37 Points: 3,510, Level: 37 Points: 3,510, Level: 37
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
Yea, I went back and forth between Marlin and Henry. Everyone said Marlin was the way to go, much more durable and everything. I guess my usual luck held true; if anyone will have a problem it will be me.
I do not own a Marlin. I am sure that Marlin will make it right.
I have a mid-seventies Winchester 94 and two Herny's.
Wife's Golden Boy .22 Win Mag and my Big Boy .357 mag/.38 Special.
__________________
Every one is entitled to their own opinion,...
As long as it does not conflict with mine!
SpringerGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 18:07   #6
Full Member
Points: 6,808, Level: 54 Points: 6,808, Level: 54 Points: 6,808, Level: 54
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 322
Sorry to hear that SPRINGER GI , I been In that boat before too , don't let it get you down , marlin is going to have to make it right or send you another one . I been thinking about A new marlin lever 357 magnum to , I hope marlins quality has not went down , let us know how you come out .
centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 18:18   #7
Full Member
Points: 6,808, Level: 54 Points: 6,808, Level: 54 Points: 6,808, Level: 54
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 322
very sorry SPRINGER GI , Igot mixed up here , I ment Dennis D , Dennis D send it back I am sure they will make it right , Good Luck.
centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 19:07   #8
Full Member
Points: 3,437, Level: 36 Points: 3,437, Level: 36 Points: 3,437, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by centurion View Post
very sorry SPRINGER GI , Igot mixed up here , I ment Dennis D , Dennis D send it back I am sure they will make it right , Good Luck.
I did have to send it back (actually the gun shop did it for me). The gun shop I usually buy from has a gunsmith in house and he looked at the gun to see if he could just tighten up the sight. He came back to find me while I was browsing and told me it needs to go back because the dovetail slot was not cut deep enough. Now I just have to wait.
__________________
What part of "... shall not be infringed" do you not understand?!
DennisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 19:10   #9
Full Member
Points: 3,437, Level: 36 Points: 3,437, Level: 36 Points: 3,437, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11
I have a mid-seventies Winchester 94 and two Herny's.
I wish I had bought a Winchester as soon as I heard the factory was closing. I did look at a few used while shopping but the prices...
__________________
What part of "... shall not be infringed" do you not understand?!
DennisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 15:42   #10
Registered Member
Points: 3,139, Level: 34 Points: 3,139, Level: 34 Points: 3,139, Level: 34
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Meaux's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 2
1894c

I bought a 1894C 38/357 and fit/finish is great. I got a
wild hair and put one of those red dot sights on it, love it!!
I am sure Marlin will make things right because forums and
such will spread the word quick if a manufacture is putting
out shoddy work...
Meaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 06:22   #11
Full Member
Points: 3,437, Level: 36 Points: 3,437, Level: 36 Points: 3,437, Level: 36
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 11
Thanks for the condolences everyone.

While I'm sure Marlin will make it right; let me put my frustration into perspective. Say you go car shopping, find the one you want and decide to buy it before you test drive (that's the way it is with motorcycles). You go into the office and pay cash for it. Then, with pride; you walk out to your new car and before you even get in, you notice a dent in the door. You think to yourself "self, I guess it's only a car, I'll live with the dent. At least I don't have to worry about getting that first one". Then you get in, put the key in, grab the steering wheel which comes off in your hand. You say, "that's not right". You go back into the office only to be told "it will have to go back to the factory. It should only take a month or so before you get your new car back".
__________________
What part of "... shall not be infringed" do you not understand?!
DennisD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:37   #12
Full Member
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Vancouver Washington
Posts: 205
I have owned several Marlin lever guns and they have all been great performers and well made and finished. My all time favorite is a 95 in 45/70. This gun will shoot 3/4" or better groups consistantly and is my favorite rifle for hunting in the Oregon Coast rain forest. I did get one 336 that had a stock broken in half right out of the box. I sent it back to Marlin and they had it back to me in less than 2 weeks along with a check for what I had paid for the shipping to them. Don't even worry about it. They will make it good in no time flat.
RDHNTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 08:40   #13
Full Member
Points: 4,410, Level: 42 Points: 4,410, Level: 42 Points: 4,410, Level: 42
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Corpus Christi, TX
Posts: 320
Did you ever get your gun back? I hate to hear you had a bad one, my1894C in .357 is one of my favorite guns. Still looks new after all the abuse it has had being my brush gun as a Hunting Guide.
Seabear1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:56   #14
Full Member
Points: 8,497, Level: 62 Points: 8,497, Level: 62 Points: 8,497, Level: 62
Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6% Activity: 7.6%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 217
Originally Posted by DennisD View Post
Just thought I'd give an update. I ordered the Marlin Cowboy in .44 mag and picked it up January 17. Here it is January 24 and I still haven't been able to fire it. Between work and the rainy weather we are having, it just hasn't worked out.

Anyway, the first night I broke down the gun to clean it before shooting as I usually do with new or used guns I acquire. First thing I noticed was how rough the wood was at the stock to receiver fit. There were actually slivers of wood sticking out where it had been milled. I figured, 'not that big a deal, I'll take the stock off eventually and sand the edges smooth'. Ran a bore snake through the barrel then discovered some nicks on the outside of the barrel close to where it fits in the receiver; looks like the lathe chuck slipped or something. I know they were there when it left the factory because they were blued over. Again, I rationalized; 'it's only a rifle, I'll live with it'.

Then last night I decided that since I can't shoot the gun, at least I'll take the stock off and smooth out the edges. I did both the area where it fits to the receiver and at the butt plate. Used a brown permanent marker to hide any unfinished wood (not a lot because I didn't take any wood off, just smoothed things a little). Went to put the stock back on the receiver when I noticed the front site was way off center of the barrel. I knew it wasn't like that when I picked up the gun so I took my thumb and pushed on the sight. It just slid over in the dovetail very easily.

So, I'm going back to the dealer and I'm going to get him to send the gun back. I'm sure Marlin will make it right; it just irritates me that I haven't even been able to shoot the gun yet and it has to go back to the factory. Hope Marlins service is as good as Henry has a reputation for.
I have to say , all my Marlins are well above average .

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 16:53   #15
Full Member
Points: 13,357, Level: 75 Points: 13,357, Level: 75 Points: 13,357, Level: 75
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 63
are these calibers (.357 or .44 mag) suitable for hunting deer? how's the felt recoil for a 12 yr old girl? i want one and my daughter, who is a great shot and wants to hunt whitetails with me, needs something to shoot.
cheers,
jim

Last edited by justjim; 11-19-2009 at 17:00.
justjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 19:27   #16
Full Member
Points: 4,028, Level: 40 Points: 4,028, Level: 40 Points: 4,028, Level: 40
Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3% Activity: 4.3%
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: minnesota , USA
Posts: 43
since marlin is owned by "freedom group" a segment of cerberus [that also owns chrysler] and they also own remington, bushmaster , h&r , DPMS , and other things - i should think their customer service would be good , if not , i suspect there are hard times comming for the US arms industry ,

give them a chance to make things right
A square 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 07:20   #17
Full Member
Points: 7,302, Level: 56 Points: 7,302, Level: 56 Points: 7,302, Level: 56
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%
Last Achievements
 
masterPsmith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: So. Cal. Barstow area
Posts: 187
This thread is 2 years old !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jim.........
masterPsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:31.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
All information is copyright by Perfectunion.com unless already under copyright.

This site is Gunny Approved