Hunting Forum Hunting general discussion forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 13:11   #1
Administrator
Points: 26,556, Level: 97 Points: 26,556, Level: 97 Points: 26,556, Level: 97
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Ground blind for deer season

A few weeks ago I bought a bone collector dog house blind from the local china-mart. This past saturday 2 of my sons and I went out to the lease, did some scouting and setup the blind.

We followed a creek until we found an oak tree that had a bunch of acorns on the ground and some rubs.

From the oak tree we moved to the north maybe 35 yards and setup the blind on the edge of some underbrush. There is a thicket with a lot of underbrush that opens up to the creek bottom and a pine tree clearing. The blind is setup on the edge.

The spot for the blind was picked for 3 reasons:

Water - Texas has been under a terrible drought, probably the worst drought in 50 years. Due to the drought a lot of creeks have dried up, that is why I paid special attention to water.

Food - Due to the drought, a lot of oak trees are stressed and seem to be dropping immature acorns.

Deer sign - with several rubs in the area, I know there is a buck moving around. I did not find any scraps, so rubs will have to do.

I liked how light, easy the stand was to carry and ease of setup.

When the stand was taken out of its carry pouch, it opened on its own and sprung into position.

On the side of the blind are 2 tent poles that hold the roof up. The end of the pole goes into a pouch in each corner, and then ties at the top of the blind.

Each porthole has a removable mosquito mesh to help keep the bugs out. The mesh is held in place with velcro.
Attached Thumbnails
Ground blind for deer season-dog-house-deer-blind-102211911.jpg   Ground blind for deer season-deer-blind-102211912.jpg