LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 20:03   #1
Registered Member
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%

Tactical Pistol Training

Good evening gents. I am looking for recommendations for pistol shooting courses. Mainly I have NO experience in real pistol shooting besides watching youtube training videos. I haven't been trained or critique in it. I have a 45 ACP and I really need to learn how to properly use it.

Can anyone recommend a good course that is really just teaching the solid fundamentals? I do not want to get into SWAT movement and all the good jazz when I do not have the proper shooting grip.

Some things I really would like.
The course to be 2-4 days long because if I have to travel I'd like to get as much training as I can.
The course done by a very creditable teacher. Someone who has been around and not only is talented himself but makes great student shooters as well.

The school to have multiple courses for basic, intermediate, advanced, etc.

In my experience, different teachers teach different ways so if I learn fundamentals from one instructor and practice practice practice, then go and perform what I was taught and be told my fundamentals are wrong then not only do I have to break habits, I wasted money and time.

If I go to a course that teaches basics then I can come home and while saving up for the more advanced courses I can practice the basics a lot here. If you guys understand what I'm getting at.

Thanks
Kevin

PS: I copy-pasted this from your sister site Survival Boards, since this has a lot more firearms talk (Seems like it anyway.) I thought this would be a better place to get some good advice. Kevin
Kevin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:56   #2
Points: 3,745, Level: 38 Points: 3,745, Level: 38 Points: 3,745, Level: 38
Activity: 25.4% Activity: 25.4% Activity: 25.4%
Last Achievements

If you are close to TX or willing to travel check out Brian Hoffner or Dan Callesantos (Mid-South).
StreetMini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 14:02   #3
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

If you are close to Memphis I suggest that you check out Rangemasters and take a class from Tom Givens. If Seattle is closer check out Insights and learn from Greg Hamliton or perhaps one of the many classes that is offered at Firearms Academy of Seattle. Or look up Gabe Suarez and see where he happens to be teaching. Massad Ayoob offers up a good class in LFI 1 around the country but you normally have to have some primary classes behind you.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:31   #4
2 Hawks Tomahawks of Ariz
Points: 3,009, Level: 33 Points: 3,009, Level: 33 Points: 3,009, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Seek out local training, either a CCW class as a starter...especially since you'll want to know the legal part of carrying in your area, as well as the tactics.

While you're in that class ask the trainer or classmates about someone that is willing to train you in some basic combat pistol tactics. Then go home and practice them until they are second nature.

The last thing I would recommend is going to someone that can impart to you, without sounding like a drill Sargent, the finer points. These type usually charge you a lot of money foe a 2-3 day class, but you go away with some great training.

Lastly, don't discount the value of video training from youtube videos, some of them can be very helpful in getting to a level of comfort that will also give you more confidence. Watching video training DVDs can go a long way to making you more proficient, and there are a lot of trainers making them these days.
Old 09-05-2012, 13:02   #5
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5% Activity: 11.5%

If you have a basic understanding of pistol safety I would recommend trying USPSA or IPSC competition. I had only done some casual shooting before taking up competition and everyone was very helpful in teaching me what I needed to know to start off. After getting started competition definitely quickly improved my skills.
kualoa33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 20:15   #6
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by kualoa33 View Post
If you have a basic understanding of pistol safety I would recommend trying USPSA or IPSC competition. I had only done some casual shooting before taking up competition and everyone was very helpful in teaching me what I needed to know to start off. After getting started competition definitely quickly improved my skills.
besides a center fire pistol of 9mm or better - what other kit do you need to compete?
and typically how many rounds do you fire during a match?
is 4 10 round mags adequate to complete a course?

I'm on the fence about trying my luck in IPSC over here on maui with my Ruger P89.

just to see how I stack up against other pistoleros

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57   #7
Points: 566, Level: 11 Points: 566, Level: 11 Points: 566, Level: 11
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

u can save a ton of money and just google for IPSC and IDPA, email them, ask for your closest club, go to a match ask around, you can probably get great basic training for little or nothing, especially if you join your local club and IPSC or IDPA.
whoa is offline   Reply With Quote