Last Achievements

Connundrum

BIKERRN
Internet locations

April 20, 2011

Reader
Various internet domains

Dear Friends,

I have recently read a thread in a forum that has sparked my interest, and this typed opinion.

Most gun owners will not seek training beyond that required to obtain their firearm of choice. In short, training becomes that which must be completed in order to reach a desired goal. For some of us, we seek training to reach a goal beyond mere possession of a firearm, as we realize that mere possession of a handgun does not a shooter make.

This gives rise to various disciplines and itís disciples. Let me say up front that I believe all disciplines are no more than theory until that user puts them to real life usage in combat. Resisting a mugger is combat, and may very well cost one their life, or the muggerís life. I am of the theory, ďBetter 100 dead muggers than one dead innocent.

Each tactic and method will have a time for usage. There is no ďOne size fits allĒ in the modern world. There are systems, platforms, and tactics that are more likely to allow one to persevere and be victorious than others, but nothing replaces what one does in a real encounter, and we wonít know what that is until we have that encounter.

Studies and laboratory results give a good indicator, but are by no means the definitive answer. The best we can do is say, ďIf such and such happens, so and so may react like so.Ē This makes me ask, ďWhat if someone reacts like we didnít expect? What do we do now?Ē Iíve reacted as expected, and reacted not as expected on various occasions. One never knows for sure, as I said before.

This prompts the observation that proponents of various methodology can, if they are not careful, become too mired in a technique that gives rise to dogma and when things donít go as planned they donít know how to react. Iím not saying that one should attempt to obtain the equivelant of a Black Belt in every discipline, but it strikes me as common sense that one should have a modicum of understanding of various disciplines. We will naturally gravitate to things that we are good at, thatís understandable. The thing is, how good are we at understanding and using techniques and methods not to our liking?

I will admit up front, I hate hand to hand combat. Getting hit, or stuck with a shank, scares me more than getting shot. I donít say that because I think Iím bullet proof. I know I have a glass jaw, and have been knocked unconscious enough times to confirm it, and have seen the lethality of a simple homemade prison weapon. If Iím unconscious I canít maintain control of things like keys, weapons, or my own destination. Thus I find it not something to like.

So now we arrive at the core of my typing. Each discipline has itís proponents, but is one really better than the other? I would say that each discipline has itís time for usage. On the other side of that coin is that the more options one has, the longer it takes to make a decision. Gee, thatís quite a conundrum isnít it?

Sincerely,

BIKERRN
BikerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 17:54   #2
Points: 951, Level: 16 Points: 951, Level: 16 Points: 951, Level: 16
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

There are undoubtedly some very dangerous men (and women) at the very, very, VERY top of each martial discipline. Go down just a little bit and what you usually find are some tremendous competitors who have the rules and regulations ingrained into them to the point they are probably not all that effective in a REAL fight.

Problem is, as you allude to here and elsewhere, and which NS2 also pointed out, real gunfights are NOT a game, nor are they "fair" nor does one play by any "rules". We talk about the law, but in reality, when you start triggering rounds, you will often forget pretty much everything about such niceties and concentrate on staying alive - or just lose it and perhaps get lucky.

It's nice to "know things". It's great to train. Even some competition has a place, albeit in my mind much less of one than most of the competitors would admit. But in the end, it will be your mind, and your confidence in what you know best to fight with. H2H is not liked by many, so you can expect to see many shy away from it. Brawlers will go to the fist first, and quickly - and get the shock of their lives when some old guy like me puts a gun barrel in their face (and maybe even pulls the trigger, limiting their shock time). Blades can be scary, and even seasoned combatants won't stab but will slash with them, when they would drop an opponent with two rounds in a heartbeat.

It's your head that's most important, not this or that technique, or style, or philosophy. "Adapt, adjust, innovate," as my Marines would say. If you are ready to fight, if your mind is willing to kill, if you have steeled yourself to take that life, then the technique will come to you easily - and well.
Devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:31   #3
Points: 5,481, Level: 47 Points: 5,481, Level: 47 Points: 5,481, Level: 47
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

+ 100 great answer i was tought attitude and mind set equals the will to survive no matter what.
curt mini14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 07:43   #4
Registered Member
Points: 2,602, Level: 31 Points: 2,602, Level: 31 Points: 2,602, Level: 31
Last Achievements

I strongly believe the average guy needs a few techniques that he will apply in any situation. If you have 100 moves for 100 situations, good luck remembering under life and death stress.

Mine are chin jabs, ax hands to the neck and linear open hand strikes. Once the bad guy is moving back then I can add knees and stomps. In addition, I will rely on biting, eye gouging and low blows. If someone grabs my arm, I ignore the grab and strike. I am not going to deal with the specific attack.

The main area of attack is the head. I want to strike hard and fast trying to get the brain moving hitting the front and back of the skull. My goal is to create a concussion or knock him out. The groin is a good target. Hitting with an upward blow, or grabbing and tearing. However, groin blows don't always stop an attacker.

As important to technique is mindset. You must act brutally and fast.

If you are armed, then after striking you can move, draw and engage if necessary.
skifast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 21:46   #5
Sniper 173D Abn Brigade
Points: 1,996, Level: 26 Points: 1,996, Level: 26 Points: 1,996, Level: 26
Last Achievements

Krav Maga.

Krav Maga - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Easy to learn and meant for people who need to know how to fight without going for belts.
Herd Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote