LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2011, 12:00   #1
Banned
Points: 1,625, Level: 23 Points: 1,625, Level: 23 Points: 1,625, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Laser Sights

OK, I've had the laser on my Hi Power for a bit, and I'm sold.

It's not for every situation, but then neither are Iron Sights, or Night Sights. I think it's a good tool to have in the box, so to speak.

I spent some time tonight practicing light control, and not telegraphing myself as I walked through my house. If you're doing it correctly the laser won't give you away anymore than your white light will, actually it will give you away less.

In dim light situations I like the fact that I can see the laser without my glasses better than trying to use my Night Sights. Using my sights without my glasses, in the dark, really isn't an option for me. Also, when confronted with a threat, I find myself trying to watch the threat, and not the Front Sight, which is what we need to see if we are going to hit our target.

Granted, in bright light lasers don't work well, but then neither do Night Sights. If it's bright enough that the Night Sights don't work, and I'm without my glasses, I do OK with just Iron Sights, as the light really helps.

Like I said, lasers are just another tool to have in the box. They aren't for every situation, but they seem to work well for the one's they are designed for. Honestly, if I could only have Night Sights, or a Laser, and not both, I'd take the laser.

I don't mean for this to sound like an advertisement for a laser company, but I am sold on them. It took me years to come around to Night Sights, and now I'm accepting lasers. I guess those talks with combat vets from Iraq, at work, really got me thinking.

Take care and stay safe,

Biker
BikerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:53   #2
Points: 951, Level: 16 Points: 951, Level: 16 Points: 951, Level: 16
Last Achievements

I have had night sights in the past, and found them not particularly to my liking. I have never had only the front as a night sight, and that might make me happier. I have only one laser, but find it a nice addition. Trouble is, for me to NOT turn on the laser is kind of hard, given the way I grip the weapon. So there is a bit of a conundrum here. I like being able to turn it on and off, but find the method a bit distracting.
Devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51   #3
Banned
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Devereaux View Post
I have had night sights in the past, and found them not particularly to my liking. I have never had only the front as a night sight, and that might make me happier. I have only one laser, but find it a nice addition. Trouble is, for me to NOT turn on the laser is kind of hard, given the way I grip the weapon. So there is a bit of a conundrum here. I like being able to turn it on and off, but find the method a bit distracting.
Dev,

I've come to prefer yellow rear night sights with green front. I'm considering abandoning night sights all together and go with a gold bead front and plain black rear.

Laser Sights are fun, they let one exercise the cat without leaving the sofa. It works well on dogs too. OK, that's my evil twin talking as I certainly don't recommend doing such with a laser on a gun. Laser Pointers are good for such endeavors however.

I've found that a laser that comes on when one activates a weapon mounted light, or the CTC Laser Grips seem to work best for me, but bear in mind the laser will be on everytime you acquire a proper firing grip. One has to decide if that feature is worth it to them, or places them in more risk given the nature of their encounters with felonious individuals.

One thing I really like about the laser is that I can watch the target and not have to worry about a traditional sight picture. That's kind of handy when one is behind the bookcase, using it as cover.

No tool is the answer to every problem, but more tools does give the ability to solve more problems. It is up to the end user to determine if the tool fits the application I think. I wouldn't use a hemostat to blow up a flat tire, but then the air pump isn't good for clamping a severed artery either. The right tool for the job and the knowlege to apply those tools is paramount.

OK, the cat needs exercise, and I need an adult beverage.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN; 04-19-2011 at 09:52. Reason: spelling, again
Old 04-19-2011, 18:38   #4
Points: 951, Level: 16 Points: 951, Level: 16 Points: 951, Level: 16
Last Achievements

I think your approach with different colours for front vs rear sights is a big improvement over all one colour - it eliminates the possibility of lining up the sights with the front left or right of the rears. I also like your green front, as I have found, using a bow, that low light seems to favour green over either yellow or red as most visible. Drawback to nights is that they are always on - and you can see other night sights at quite a distance (since the green is so great for the eye to pick up).

My only CTC is on a 1911. I use my middle finger to turn it on and off, and I DO like playing with it in the evening when I am just dry firing. Still, it takes remembering to press and unpress the middle finger to turn it on and off. I often wonder why CTC doesn't make a grip laser with the switch on top of the left grip (for righties). That way you could activate the switch with your thumb, a process that seems more natural and easier with a combat grip.

But what do I know. Just a regular dummie, not an engineer.
Devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:50   #5
Banned
Last Achievements

I'm just a regular dummy, but find you to be far smarter and expirienced than I.

With that said I think we are both confirming what my Opthamologist told me, and something I have read as well, that Hi Viz Green is the easiest color for the eye to distinquish and pick up in most environs.

There are green lasers, but they drain batteries quickly as their power needs far outpace the traditional red laser. The red is next to impossible to pick up in sunlight. I guess it's a trade off. Being that most non-LEO encounters occur in dim light it stands to reason that a red laser may be beneficial and at a price point that more people can afford.

Over time I look for green to come to a price point that red is at now. For me it's all about combining what best meets my needs at the moment. We can't have everything, so we have to pick and choose. Me, I opt for a laser over night sights if I am limited to only one, but prefer both.

Biker
Old 04-27-2011, 19:45   #6
Points: 2,662, Level: 31 Points: 2,662, Level: 31 Points: 2,662, Level: 31
Last Achievements

I don't keep my laser on my pistol anymore. I have night sights but didn't like the idea of a laser tracing back to me.

I do use it when I do my dry fire drills. It helps a lot with trigger control. After a couple squeezes I can quickly figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Old 04-28-2011, 00:59   #7
Points: 3,849, Level: 39 Points: 3,849, Level: 39 Points: 3,849, Level: 39
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by BikerRN
Like I said, lasers are just another tool to have in the box. They aren't for every situation, but they seem to work well for the one's they are designed for.
Very true.

The one thing to keep in mind is that the Green laser WILL track back top you. That's why they use them on TV programs, it is easy to see the laser beam. On the other hand the Red laser will "track back" only in dusty or smoky rooms/areas. Without the dust or smoke, the Red laser is virtually invisible, unless you are on the receiving end (NOT from the side).

As you said, they are another tool in the tool box.
Used with that in mind, they are quite nice.
- - - - - -
If they can get you to ask the wrong question,
it doesn't matter what the answer is.
Pat-inCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 16:48   #8
Registered Member
Points: 802, Level: 15 Points: 802, Level: 15 Points: 802, Level: 15
Last Achievements

Shot a AirSoft combat thing last night and the one thing I had to note was the fact that one guy had laser sights and it was SO easy to find him.
I own a set and do NOT use them nor the attached light to my handguns as I am a FIRM believer that you dont point or aim a gun at ANYTHING you are not allowed or need to shoot.
I am a fan of tritium night sights and have them on all my "social" guns.
I have shot night courses with them and they work.
scaatylobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:58   #9
Points: 2,027, Level: 27 Points: 2,027, Level: 27 Points: 2,027, Level: 27
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

I have a Crimson Trace set on a S & W Mod. 686 4" .357 Mag. and a set on my Glock Mod. 22 in .40 cal. I train people with both weapons and use the Laser when I am trying to get a point across about shooting problems that they might have that recoil may be covering up Etc. They work great for me. As I do a lot of instinct close combat shooting I have learned how to carry both weapons with the Laser Contact Pad not depressed untill I come up on target.
Bill
sgtbill is offline   Reply With Quote