• 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By Rockys Pop
  • 1 Post By hks95134

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2016, 02:28   #1
Born 100 years late.

Thumbs up Nice range day, B/P revolver

Finally went to the range with only 1 firearm ( besides my sidearm ) bound and determined to find the load it prefers and get the front sight set.
Been playing at getting this one set up for roughly 10 months now off and on, but always with the distractions of cartridge guns on the same trips......not this time.

Uberti 1858 Remington 4.75" clone in .44 shooting real BP, home made wonder wads and .454 round ball.

After playing around with the powder charge, filler amount, and wad thickness, I finally found a load that will knock down 5" steel plates at 25 yards every time I pull the trigger........which is plenty good for me.

30 gr. fff Goex powder, topped with a .380 case of filler (cheap coffee), and a 3/8" felt wad soaked in 50/50 paraffin/veg. oil mix brings a ball so close to the end of each chamber it's like a cartridge round for distance to forcing cone.

my last 2 cylinders before final front sight adjustment and moving on to steel plates.....i'm finally satisfied with this gun as it's 100% reliable, and would save my life if it ever actually comes down to it.

curt mini14, hks95134 and Phish like this.
Old 08-15-2016, 14:08   #2

Is that benched or offhand?

And what distance?
hks95134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 19:52   #3
Born 100 years late.

Originally Posted by hks95134 View Post
Is that benched or offhand?

And what distance?
25 yards
resting on a carpeted 2x4
4.5" barrel
barrel still not completely " fire-broken " in........fewer than 200 rounds fired, grouping tighter and tighter though.

will be trying some 225 gr. flat nosed conicals later this week.......supposed to be more accurate than round ball......we'll see.
hks95134 likes this.

Old 08-15-2016, 21:30   #4

Since that's benched then, looks like the sight alignment is slightly off to the left.

Have you put a laser boresight on it yet to test it?
Old 08-15-2016, 22:59   #5
Born 100 years late.

that photo was taken before final sight adjustment ( luckily it's a Uberti instead of a Pietta) then I moved over to steel plates.........hit every one I fired at, but didn't move back to paper.......will be doing that later this week.

also will soon be getting a Howell .45LC conversion cyl. for it, to fire BP cartridges I load at home........wanting to do a side x side between BP, Pyro, & T7.....of which the BP cylinder seems to like real BP best.

You a BP revolver fan?........I hope so, Lord knows i'm feeling like a scarecrow in the field talking Holy Black here on this forum.......
hks95134 likes this.
Old 08-16-2016, 12:19   #6

Originally Posted by Rockys Pop View Post
that photo was taken before final sight adjustment ( luckily it's a Uberti instead of a Pietta) then I moved over to steel plates.........hit every one I fired at, but didn't move back to paper.......will be doing that later this week.

also will soon be getting a Howell .45LC conversion cyl. for it, to fire BP cartridges I load at home........wanting to do a side x side between BP, Pyro, & T7.....of which the BP cylinder seems to like real BP best.

You a BP revolver fan?........I hope so, Lord knows i'm feeling like a scarecrow in the field talking Holy Black here on this forum.......
I have had 3 revolvers in my lifetime, all mostly due to experimentation.

The first was a 357 magnum S&W just to experience what the most accurate handgun in the world is. The next two were 44 mags also by S&W for outdoor use.

I finally decided that revolvers were not really any good because they are too slow for anti personnel and they are too weak to kill bears.

So I traded-in the last 44 for a Mossberg 590 riot shotgun in high capacity 8 + 1 for campsite security against bears or lions and for riot control around home. This was right about the time of Rodney King and the natives were very restless. I still have the Mossberg although I rarely break it out other than for camping trips or backpacking in bear country.

All my other handguns have been pistols. Started out in 9x19 on my own with Browning and with S&W during college daze, and then moved up to 45ACP courtesy of Uncle Sam. I have loved the 45ACP ever since, even though it is the least accurate of all the handguns.

The pistols are not as accurate as the revolvers, but you don't need extreme accuracy in a gunfight, you need magazine capacity of 10+. Plus the pistols are easier to conceal for your CCW permit.

So I figure everyone shooting a revolver is just in that revolver stage of life, and eventually they will move on.

Old 08-16-2016, 19:03   #7
Born 100 years late.

yeah, I carry a souped up 1911 for defense.......but would have no hesitation to carry any of my modern revolvers, most "gunfights" end with 1-2 rounds so even my 8 probably isn't necessary.
i'd trust a hot .357 against a bear before buckshot or a slug (making exception for 3-3.5" spitzer sabots).
but yes, ive owned,fired,carried a merry mix of revolvers/pistols daily for about 35 years......the BP revolvers are simply fun and relaxing....shot them since I was 11 (i'm 50+) and started carrying one in the woods every weekend at 15 (my b'day gift that year).
I've just loaded up a cyl full of 255 gr. .45 LC handloads each with Triple7, Pyrodex, and BP, to test in my newest Peacemaker( of 4 ) for accuracy.......using only an icepick, wooden primer punchout block, dowel piece and the arbor press from the other thread.
My oldest Peacemaker shooting offhand single handed will "doink" a silhouette at 60 yards every shot with these loads except T7...not tried it yet.....hoping the newest will match it !
hks95134 likes this.
Old 08-20-2016, 16:41   #8

For self defense, I can draw my pistol faster than a revolver.

For some reason John Browning came up with a better ergonomic design in the semi auto pistols than the revolvers had been. The big cylinders on the revolvers have always been somewhat of an albatross.

I also like the feel of the big pistols better than the revolvers. That's because the "tang" tends to grip your hand back and make it more stable with a pistol.
Rockys Pop likes this.
Old 01-23-2017, 06:10   #9

Nothing like smelling burnt coffee! :-) Nice report!
Phish is offline   Reply With Quote