Perfect Union banner

davidwp

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  noylj 
#1 ·
What are the pros and cons using nickel casings especially in 38 +P and 357 rounds?

#4 ·
Yeah, I've noticed that cracking too. So I generally stick to reloading only brass. What I do with the used nickel plated stuff is drill the flash hole out and use them for wax loads. It's a good way of keeping cases with large flash holes separated and getting mixed in with the chance of accidentally loading a powder charge into it.

I also think nickel seems "slicker" so when I buy defensive ammo I do generally purchase cartridges using nickel plating.

#7 ·
I've reloaded it for many, many years.

I like it. I don't have to clean it and it does not corrode or oxidize.

It does not last as long but regular brass just lasts a little bit longer. It depends on how it's loaded as to longevity. Quality of the plating makes a difference too.

Yes they crack, as with all brass. Check carefully though as it's not always a crack in the case but in the plating. Sometimes the plating will begin to peel.

You should be checking all reloaded brass for cracks, whether it's plated or not.

I don't choose one over the other, and turn neither down!

So long as it's once fired in a whole box of 50 with the same head stamp, I'm good to go.

#8 ·
We should start an exchange, for all us racists. Three nickel for every two brass? :)

(I'm kidding...a little. If the freight didn't kill us it would be a good deal. We need some cross country gun misc traders on this board)

#10 ·
steel casings as long as they are BOXER primed *CAN* be reloaded... however they are exceptionally tough on the dies... they tend to SCRATCH the insides of the resizing die, which will cause dings on brass cases afterwards... ASK ME HOW I KNOW?!?!? LOL
I had loaded about a dozen rounds of .223 steel... then checked the inside of my die... and swore... NEVER AGAIN... With the availability of BRASS... why screw up my dies with Steel?!!?!?

:)

#12 ·
Hi, there is little difference for shooting. However, if you are interested in reloading, nickel casings wear reloading dies faster than brass. This is especially true for carbide dies. I will only use nickel plated brass if I am totally out of brass and desperate.

Regards,
Richard

#13 ·
I've been reloading nickel plated brass with same Lee carbide dies since the early 80's

I reckon Lee's are tougher! No biggy though, new ones run around 30 bucks at gun store

About 80% of what I reload are nickel plated.

How do you tell when dies go bad??

#15 ·
In looking....

I see no appreciable difference between my 357 dies when compared with my 44 mag dies. All my 44 mag cases are brass.

I see no lines or any wear for that matter. I did see a lot of crud in the upper portions of both dies though. I WD-40ed them and cleaned them out....LOL

I'd venture to guess my 357 reloads have numbered well into the 1000's as my dies are a little over 30 years old.

Maybe the cases are plated with "soft" nickel or Lee dies are just tougher.

Seems all my handgun dies are Lee and rifle dies are RCBS with the exception of my 270. No reason as to the type I use, just what the gun store had in stock when I was buying

#16 ·
My findings with nickel is that "sometimes" the nickel flakes off and sticks to the carbide ring in the sizing die or Lee FCD and you start to get racing stripes on your brass.
I see NO reason to use them and will let those whose aesthetics appreciate it use them to their heart's content.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.