Perfect Union banner

Berrys plated bullets 44mag

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  doug141954 
#1 ·
Hello again,
I ordered Berrys plated bullets in 240 grain flat point for my 44 revolver.
There tech offered little help with load data, although it sounds like Im to use data for cast bullets?
In my Lyman#49 the closest Im seeing is 240 gr. cast lswc. Should I go by this? I currently have 2400 powder but I know I might have to purchase something else, Im just concerned about starting load, and max. and min. and max. OAl.
Could someone here please advice me on what I can go with to reload these bullets when I get them. Thank you.

#2 ·
Recheck your Lyman manual and look for loads that are in the 1100fps range and lower. Stay with the data for plain based bullets. For that range, you would be better off with "medium burning" powders such as Unique or Universal Clays. When loaded to too low of a velocity, 2400 will have trouble developing enough pressure to burn properly. Save it for magnum level loads.

#3 ·
Berrys plated bullets 44 mag.

Thank you and please excuse my ignorance, but what to you mean plain based bullets? And is Universal Clay a make of what powder?
Trying to be care full here being so new to this. Appreciate the help, and happy Holiday to you and all here.

#4 ·
Thank you and please excuse my ignorance, but what to you mean plain based bullets? And is Universal Clay a make of what powder?
Trying to be care full here being so new to this. Appreciate the help, and happy Holiday to you and all here.
Universal clays is a bit fast burning for .44 mag, I would try some of the slightly slower powders like Unique, with those bullets you would be better if the velocity is kept around 1100fps or so U can use 2400 I use 18gr for a 245gr Keith type of bullet and in the past I have used as much as 20grs, as I get older I find milder loads will do what I need to do without all of the recoil. I shoot mostly .44spec and that at about 750fps for paper punching.

#5 ·
berrys 44

Loaded some up today with the 2400 powder, at 19 gr. Set the oal to 163. I went out and shot three rounds to check them out, and while only shooting at 10 yards had a 1 inch group.Hardly no kick and surprisingly quiet, not like the heavier loads shot in the .44.
Think these might make for some fun plinking rounds. What do you guys think?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.