Perfect Union banner

Cast bullets in 9mm

3K views 21 replies 8 participants last post by  AABEAR 
#1 ·
Anyone shoot cast bullets in there m9a1 or any 9mm pistol for that matter ?
how was the results ? vs. jacketed ?

oregon trail?
meister?
hunters supply ?

#2 ·
;)Roll my own-got to cast hard-like wheel weights with tin and antimony,124 grs,work very well.....No expansion tho!

#4 ·
From time to time I've used hard cast (92-6-2 alloy) lead bullets in my CZ 85. They work OK but get the barrel quite dirty in a short time. This may be due to the relatively fast rate of twist on the CZ. I generally shoot bulk jacketed bullets in my CZ such as Montana Gold or Zero with great results. In my experience Oregon Trail bullets are a waste of money, they do nothing a good quality hard cast bullet can't do and often cost as much or more than jacketed bullets.

For plinking I've used Billy Bullets 135gr moly-coated lead round nose over 3.8gr N-320. These are reasonably accurate, soft-shooting, and leave far less mess in the barrel than straight lead bullets.

Chris

#6 ·
I have been using Precision Bullets moly-coated cast lead for 12+ years. The moly-coat minimizes leading, and they are very accurate. I use them in both 200gr SWC for my .45 and 115gr LRN for my 9mm.

My P95 (now sold to a friend) has over 25K rounds through it mostly Precision Bullets, and it still holds a good group.

Precision Bullets Index Page

#8 ·
To keep from leading bad use molly as a lube I got it from Midway. Look for the powder moly. Around 23.00 it will do thousand of bullets. Look up #183655 this get you to it. If you use it in your tunber put some # 9 shot in in the tumber so it will do a better job. GOOD LUCK

#9 ·
It's unlikely you would 'dislike' the Precisions. :cool:

I have ordered 25-30,000 bullets from them since Y2K. Product has been very consistent, both in quality and accuracy.

Maybe I'm a bit biased, since it's a Texas based operation, and I use to shoot with the owner at Waco (IPSC). :D

#12 · (Edited)
oh ok well thank you anyway, the prices look great, compared to jacket stuff, if its good enough for competitors it has to be good enough for a plinker like me. Just like my plinkers loaded a little warm, don't want any leading.

Edit -
I think I responded to quickly, you said you shoot with the owner, but they don't know you ????

#16 ·
Edit -
I think I responded to quickly, you said you shoot with the owner, but they don't know you ????
I shot with him, and 40-50 other people at the monthly Waco IPSC match from '98-'00. Other people in regular attendance were Dave Skinner (former owner of STI International) and Dave Dawson (Dawson Precision) and Mick Nelson...all IPSC Grand Masters. These were all people I talked to and learned a lot from when I started out. However, I edited that out because I didn't want to leave the impression that we were good buddies or anything.

Just as an FYI - I have been loading my 9mm with 4.0gr of Bullseye and it has proven to be very accurate over the years. Bullseye is not the cleanest powder, although by no means the dirtiest either. Some pro silhouette shooters swear by a 200gr SWC 45acp backed by 3.6gr of Bullseye to be the ultimate target load. That exact load in my Kimber will return 1" accuracy at 25 yards if I do my part (read: stay off the caffeine :wacko:).

#13 ·
Black Bullet International...

I use them and with 4.5- 5 grains of clays universal (I don't remember which I settled on as it has been awhile since I rolled any)

Minimal leading and a little smokey but not too bad.

Price is pretty good as well and as far as accuracy goes I average less than 2" at 7 yds 3-4" @ 15, and beyond that I can keep it in the IDPA chest circle.. Hey I never claimed to be a phenomenal pistol shot, however, my handloads with a .45Acp coming out of my old Kimber were much tighter so I blame the equipment :D

#14 ·
Black Bullet International...

I use them and with 4.5- 5 grains of clays universal (I don't remember which I settled on as it has been awhile since I rolled any)

Minimal leading and a little smokey but not too bad.

Price is pretty good as well and as far as accuracy goes I average less than 2" at 7 yds 3-4" @ 15, and beyond that I can keep it in the IDPA chest circle.. Hey I never claimed to be a phenomenal pistol shot, however, my handloads with a .45Acp coming out of my old Kimber were much tighter so I blame the equipment :D
I think you might have went with clays because if you look at their website thats one of the recommended powders. I was thinking of using titegroup, but they advise against it.

#21 ·
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the need to keep lead loads relatively slow. In my 9mm's I get leading issues whenever I push unjacketed lead bullets past 1000 fps, no matter what combination of powder, lube, or BH of the lead in the bullet. I cast my own 9 mm using Lee 124 gr RN and SWC molds and have tried dozens of combinations of powders, lubes, and lead alloy hardness. Best accuracy in 9 mm is with "hard cast" (linotype alloy at 21-22 BH) 124 gr lubed with Lee Alox seated at 1.165", over 4.1 gr Winchester Super Field using CCI primers. It comes out of my Beretta 92FS at about 960 fps. If I load to the maximum safe load in my Lee manual (4.7 gr WSF) coming out at 1055, I get serious leading every time with every lube I've ever tried.

#22 ·
Try moly on them that is what I use. It goes a long way. It only takes about 5 min in the tumbler. I have a extra bole for moly only put to 2 dips and some #5 buck shot in the bole put your bullets in for 5 min only then check. Moly goes a long way. GOOD LUCK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.