Perfect Union banner

cone lapping

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Fuzzball 
#1 ·
I ran across this term on another forum . It was in reference to the Lee Perfect Powder Measure . My guess is it is a fix to limit or prevent powder leakage ? Most likely with ball powder ?

Any one know anything about this ?

Thanks ,
God bless
Wyr

#2 ·
This is probably stating the obvious and you are referring to someone who has the tooling to actually burnish the cones together.
The cones naturally lap themselves together. Most of the leakage is from not having the right tension before filling the hopper.
I suppose you could run graphite through it and then sit down and watch TV while you cycle the measure with nothing in it (adjusting tension, as needed).

#3 ·
My experience was , when I loosened the tension to the point where it would move freely enough , it leaked everywhere . When I tightened it to the point where leaking was mostly under control , it was so tight it would hardly move .

Your mileage may vary .

God bless
Wyr

#4 ·
"(lapping) My guess is it is a fix to limit or prevent powder leakage ? Most likely with ball powder?"

Correct on both counts. It may not need it but if you do the fix is easy enough. The instructions with the PPM say NOT to loosen the drum so it moves freely, it is expected to have a tad of drag and it works quite good that way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.