Perfect Union banner

250gr .452 dia for 45 ACP

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Marlin 45 carbine 
#1 ·
Is anyone reloading 250 gr. Jacketed bullets for their .45 ACP? I've got a hold of some Hornady 250 gr XTP's .452 dia. And haven't found much reloading data. Was just wondering if any of you guys have tried them in a 1911.

#4 ·
after checking I found the Noslers I have are indeed .451, this is Nosler# 43013, 250 gr semi-jacket HP. I have loaded many a cast slug for my 625 that is .452 dia., I have some Midway cast 250 gr. RNFP to load and have used Speer cast TC flat nose 255 gr. w/good results. all I have used so far is Bullseye powder.

#5 ·
I have quite a bit of data for loading heavy weights over 230 grainers in the 45 acp, but anything over 230 grains has to be seated long in some cases over the 1.275" col to not bulge cases. any COL longer that 1.275" wont fit in a 1911 magazine. the heavy weight loadings are recommended for revolvers only.

#6 ·
I would appreciate any data and other tips you have on hand. I use only 2 pistol powders, Bullseye and Power Pistol but would likely pick up another grade based on reports of excellent results with cast slugs. I have a 1911 Colt, load only jacketed slugs in it, but my 625 I use cast slugs often, anything from 185 gr. up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.