Handgun Misc All handguns that don't fit elsewhere!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2012, 08:54   #1
Points: 1,705, Level: 24 Points: 1,705, Level: 24 Points: 1,705, Level: 24
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

Simple Questions - Medically Precipitated

Hi folks,

Just got back from my regional V.A. hospital, with a head load of circumstances, but will try to keep to a few simple questions.

"Theoretical Circumstance", (like P.I. talking to Mafioso):

To correct physical problem from 12 year old surgery, the plastic surgeon has to take some muscle from the leg, leaving a forever walking impairment. Being of the 'sheepdog mind', this upsets me very much, as to becoming a 'wounded lamb among the wolves'. For the moment, am not sure if impairment will be 'strong side'.

Am attempting to 'noodle out', carry options, including for starters:

How to integrate change to:
a. firearm design change, maybe FROM semi to DA revolver;
b. possibility of single hand presentation, instead of weaver, etc., as norm;
c. possibility of unsteadiness of stance, due to reason above;
d. how to 'compensate' when using reloading device;
e. how to carry piece in possible different configuration?

here are givens:
slacks 'high-waisted', due to exisitng colostomy site. makes FOBUS holster set too high on body. semiauto shoulder holster bottom almost already at belt, without strap attached, same reason.

Any suggestions, please?
SFsc616171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 11:08   #2
Points: 1,178, Level: 18 Points: 1,178, Level: 18 Points: 1,178, Level: 18
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Sorry to hear that man, but I wouldn't let the VA touch me. I would get another opinion from a private doctor or get them to Fe base it out to a private doc.

The VA wants to fix my back, 2 places in the thoracic, two in the lumbar, and one in my sacrum.. I wont let them cut on me for ****.

Hope everything works out for you.
jnv255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 13:03   #3
Points: 5,859, Level: 49 Points: 5,859, Level: 49 Points: 5,859, Level: 49
Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5% Activity: 5.5%
Last Achievements

+1 on the NO CUT

Everyone I know that had surgery on their back or elsewhere no has arthritis AND continuing pain .
Take it as long as you can stand it. No knife is going to make you 19 again.
Sorry to hear of your trouble.
Richard
Old 03-31-2012, 20:43   #4
Last Achievements

Since my private hospital treatment and surgery for colo-rectal cancer in 2001, with an artherial thrombosis in a leg artery 12 days later, I have had:
1. a lapiscprical insertion of mesh to hold together that seemingly common bulging of the colostomy site.
2. an emergency resection and relocation of the colostomy, since the last one had transitioned to a twisting of the intestine and the previous mesh, causing the whole mesh to shut down. It hurt so bad, that for a moment or two ....
3. an 'ambuletic surgery', to find more of 'the junk' left in there from lap surgery, so it was not healing togehter, giving me a 'weepie'.
4. now, since the sphincter muscles, that were radiated, have now atrophied (turn over a stuffed teddy bear) these guys (that make me feel like an AMC carburetor being looked at by GM, Ford, and Chrysler mechanics) are telling me that they are going to attend to all these things, with a plastic surgery removing some leg muscle tissue, as part of the atrophied fix, leaving me with a 'degree of a walking impairment'.
The Regional IS the second opinion, since the ER doctor here did not know what to do with me!

Once this is done, and i'm more fully mobile, might it be said, that i will re-acquaint myself with Mssrs. Smith and Wesson, some nice 158 grain solid semiwadcutters, and a four incher in the M-series.

Blessed Be.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:02   #5
Last Achievements

Hi folks!
Have an update for you all.
First, thanks for your comments, I do appreciate them. BTW, I wasn't looking to be 19 again (that's the year I got my first white hair in SouthEast Asia!)
Second, the operation went better than expected, i.e., no leg muscle used, just a small piece of rib bacon, instead. New ostomy right at high-pants belt buckle. Old site 'thumbhole' still closing, doing the patching myself.
So, I'm alive, with half a hara-kiri scar, and the other half up my right chest.
I still got tired, trying to do the rounds at walmart, (came home july 31).
I'm not 19, but I do qualify as a 'seasoned citizen', now, having my b'day in the ward bed.

Now, it seems, I might have to go the suspenders route, so any suggestions for a good pair, maybe to take up the weight added doing CCW?
Old 10-08-2012, 09:40   #6
Points: 1,314, Level: 20 Points: 1,314, Level: 20 Points: 1,314, Level: 20
Activity: 25.5% Activity: 25.5% Activity: 25.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by SFsc616171 View Post
Hi folks!
Have an update for you all.
First, thanks for your comments, I do appreciate them. BTW, I wasn't looking to be 19 again (that's the year I got my first white hair in SouthEast Asia!)
Second, the operation went better than expected, i.e., no leg muscle used, just a small piece of rib bacon, instead. New ostomy right at high-pants belt buckle. Old site 'thumbhole' still closing, doing the patching myself.
So, I'm alive, with half a hara-kiri scar, and the other half up my right chest.
I still got tired, trying to do the rounds at walmart, (came home july 31).
I'm not 19, but I do qualify as a 'seasoned citizen', now, having my b'day in the ward bed.

Now, it seems, I might have to go the suspenders route, so any suggestions for a good pair, maybe to take up the weight added doing CCW?
If you are like me and not worried about how it looks get the button type that you have to sew a button on your pants at the attachment point. Because of back and other problems a tight belt is painful and uncomfortable so a loose belt for my hardware like knife sheath and holster but suspenders to keep my dignity, (what is left of it) intact.

For a dressier look get the under-ups.

Welcome to Holdup Suspender Company's main sales site showcasing the the USA made suspenders and related products using our Patented clips.

I have finally gotten rid of all my snap suspenders because they either let go at the most inopportune times or just break.
old grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 17:46   #7
Points: 566, Level: 11 Points: 566, Level: 11 Points: 566, Level: 11
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

If you are worried about reloading the gun, don't go with a revolver, for certain. Why would the leg surgery make you unable to use both hands on the pistol? realistically, defensive shooting is at 10 ft and less, even with one hand, if you get a "flash" sight picture and control the trigger properly, you will hit the chest. Cooper himself got his 3 combat kills with one shot each, with only one hand, altho one of them amounted to an execution, the enemy being unaware of any threat, 30 yds or so, Jeff had a Colt SA revolver for thaat shot! :-)
whoa is offline   Reply With Quote