Handgun Misc All handguns that don't fit elsewhere!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 18:26   #1
Points: 9,742, Level: 66 Points: 9,742, Level: 66 Points: 9,742, Level: 66
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Last Achievements

Ruger P89

I bought this getting ready for Y2K...

Never fired it.

It came with 2 (10) round magazines.

I want to up grade and get full cap magazines but Rugers 15 rounders are stainless and I don't want anything shinny on my pistol.

Question is once inserted do they stick out of the handle and can be seen? or do they sit flush and out of sight?
Magog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 19:30   #2
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Magog View Post
I bought this getting ready for Y2K...

Never fired it.

It came with 2 (10) round magazines.

I want to up grade and get full cap magazines but Rugers 15 rounders are stainless and I don't want anything shinny on my pistol.

Question is once inserted do they stick out of the handle and can be seen? or do they sit flush and out of sight?

Are you sure?
the two stock 15 round mags for my 89 are blued.

also, when inserted - the plastic floor plate is visible, but the magazine steel is not.

the 89 is an excellent no frills sidearm, little chunky and heavy... but SOLID... if you ever pistol whipped someone with it... it would cause some serious trauma
the recoil is "soft and rolling" due to the weight of the slide, rather than "sharp and flippy" as felt in lighter pistols.
you would do well to upgrade the grip panels to Houge overmolded wrap around grips. it's the ONLY mod I've ever done on this pistol, well worth the 20 bucks.
My 89 has served me well for almost 15 years. it's got 1000's of rounds down the hatch and still looks basically new.
you are doing the gun and yourself a great disservice buy not giving it some range love if you've had it since 2000 and never even took it for a test drive.
it's an affordable, basic, no frills solid handgun.
also due to the stout construction and heavy slide - it will handle +p and +p+ loads no problems - and recoil will still feel like a standard load fired from a lighter pistol.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 18:41   #3
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

I got the the original p85. I got it 14 years ago when I was in high school. Hard to believe but an ex-sheriff that sold guns out of his house sold it to me and I wasn't even 18 yet. I will defend him even though he passed several years ago now, my father was with me. He was a man of the law, but believed in gun rights and had a nack in sniffing out good people. Back to the pistol I love this thing and it is rock solid. I am not the original owner but I have put thousands of rounds through it. I actually sent it to ruger 2 months ago to have the mk 2 upgrade put in it and have it checked out. I kinda wish I didnt in a way because well it was gone I read forums where people said p85's without the update where rare and there are some who seek them out. For what reson I do not know. The blued original mags are for early p89's and p85's as far as I can find. I am opposite of you and wish ruger would make a stainless for my p85. If I see anything I'll try to remember to post and you the same for me.

~I used to be a master troll like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee....

~Don't meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste nice with Ketchup!
Drache Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 18:54   #4
ANTI anti-gun activist
Last Achievements

Here is some intresting stuff I found on them
GunWeek.com
The Armory
Ruger P85 | Shooting Illustrated

~I used to be a master troll like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee....

~Don't meddle in the Affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste nice with Ketchup!
Drache Teufel is offline   Reply With Quote