Handgun Misc All handguns that don't fit elsewhere!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 17:12   #1
Points: 7,389, Level: 57 Points: 7,389, Level: 57 Points: 7,389, Level: 57
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Hangun sights vs my re-built eyes

Have been nearsighted pretty much most of my life. A year ago cataracts in both eyes removed and synthetic lens implants put in. Hallelueah I can see from 5 or so feet out to infinity. Even after retina in one eye detached and was "spot welded" back in place.

BUT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have to wear bifocals to read but cannot see sights on handguns. Not good. Not good at all. Front and rear sights too blurry.

Electronic sights work well but costly as hell and don't carry well. Like most of us, have more than one handgun and several brands.

Anyone been through this or know someone who has?
aquaphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:33   #2
Points: 4,299, Level: 41 Points: 4,299, Level: 41 Points: 4,299, Level: 41
Last Achievements

I haven't had a eye rebuild, but do have a similar problem: my prescription for distance correction simply will not allow me to focus on the sights.

Solution: get bifocals, with the primary lens corrected for distance (in your case, no correction) and the bifocal corrected for front sight distance. Most optometrists/opthalmologists are under the impression that we need to see our target clearly, so there may be some explaining necessary.

Here's the trick: have them put the bifocal in the top of the lens. Typically, these are called "occupational" lenses, meant for tradesmen (electricians, plumbers, etc.) who work at arm's length above their head a lot.

Since most people tilt their head forward a little when shooting (especially if you're old school and use Weaver), having the "front sight lens" in the top makes it easy to use. Since I also tilt my head to the right a little, I had the bifocal in the right lens shifted inboard as far as possible to give me a larger "aiming window". Basically, put on glasses, aim your pistol, and have someone mark the part of the lens you're looking through: that's where you need the "front sight lens".

It took a couple of days to get used to them, but I wear them all day, every day with no problem.
PigBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 22:01   #3
Last Achievements

PigBat:

Your solution is so simple. I will approach my Optomotrist with this and the logic of it.

These would be my "shooting glasses", only. For the range, plinking and such.
Will still need special sights for home defense weapons strategically placed around house. No time to get "special glasses" during a break-in. Saw a setup that used a yellow triangle that lined up when both front and rear sights were in alignment. But does not fit any of my guns.
But PB, it seems you have solved my range/plinking sighting problems................Thank You;

phreak
Old 01-10-2012, 11:56   #4
Points: 4,299, Level: 41 Points: 4,299, Level: 41 Points: 4,299, Level: 41
Last Achievements

Glad to help. FYI, the setup I described is my everyday, all day long glasses. My assumption is that you're carrying concealed and need to be able to see your sights, as well as the world around you.
For pure shooting glasses, you might want to just get single-vision lenses (cheaper than bifocals!) with the right lens set for front sight distance and the left for distant vision (assuming you're right handed / eyed). I have a pair like that, too. They work really well for range use, especially with iron-sighted rifles. For scope use, I have my "hunting" glasses with both lenses set for distance. And another pair focused at midrange for computer work. And another pair...damn. I have turned into my father.
PigBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 19:24   #5
Last Achievements

Interesting concept with right eye correction for sights and left eye correction for distance. Cost effective.......................How long did it take you to become "comfortable" with that rig?
I have truly been blessed with 20/20 vision in BOTH postop eyes. Even after having the retina spot welded with lasers back onto the basal tissue. I have, however, lost a bit of night/lowlight vision in the retina-repaired eye. Also, there seems to be a slight bit of double vision in the same eye. But only appears when I look to the left with minor head rotation. Not good for a motorcycle rider, eh? Doesn't happen if head is rotated a few more degrees left. Right now I have bifocals with no correction on top and adjustment for reading/computer on bottom. I do not wear them all day. Go without glasses for the first time in my life. Whup 'em out when bottom lens needed and motorcycle riding for eye protection at night/or dark days.
BP, concealed carry permits not given out too readily in Kalifornica in many counties. Even for retirees that don't walk too fast and with a limp and are perfect targets for ATM Hawks and muggers in parks who look for prey that appear to be easy targets. So I bring my friend The Judge along to those places. Figure I'll get a hunk of 'em. But those .410 loads still need to be aimed.
As before, your practical knowledge is valuable to me. Adios