Handgun Misc All handguns that don't fit elsewhere!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2010, 18:24   #1
disappointed member
Points: 57,919, Level: 100 Points: 57,919, Level: 100 Points: 57,919, Level: 100
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%
Last Achievements

give me a reason to keep my handgun

hey! i just wanted to put up a topic to discuss. basically, i can't think of an advantage a handgun has over a shotgun or rifle. the only thing i can come up with is concealment/carrying. and since i intend to do neither, i am seriously considering selling my handgun to get another shotgun.

don't get me wrong. i like my pistol, its fun to own and shoot... i just think pistols are sooooo outperformed by shotguns as home defense/close range (less shooter skill, more knock down, less penetration). pistols outperformed by rifles at any distance, and handguns won't work as well for hunting of any sort i think.

so i want to sell my semi auto pistol(my only handgun) and get a semi-auto shotgun (of course i will lose $ on the deal, but i (and my wife ) set a limit on the # of firearms i can own, so i don't go crazy). tell me i'm making the right move, or tell me why i'm not. i'm interested to see your opinions on this matter.
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 22:18   #2
Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

You can carry a handgun anywhere (laws permitting).

Car-jacking? Try getting that long gun into action.

Luby's shooting (you're in Texas, right?)? That shotgun in the car ain't gonna be of much help. The pistol on your hip will be.

Even in a home invasion, a pistol is more maneuverable and accessible, unless your bedroom is the size of Grand Central Station and the hallways as wide as its train tunnels.

IMHO, the pistol is the ultimate defensive weapon for many of the above reasons. Long guns are more offensive weapons.

In a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, I'd want a long gun (and have some for that reason), but in an everyday civilized existence, a pistol is just more versatile, practical, and handy.

For about $200, you can get a reliable pump shotgun to complement your pistol. Yeah, that's not peanuts, but compare it to what you probably spend on medical insurance, homeowners/renters insurance, and auto insurance, on a monthly basis. All that insurance compensates you monetarily after bad stuff happens.

A pistol is ever-available to prevent bad stuff from happening. I'd say don't give it up, and get yourself a long gun . . . it costs a fraction of your regular insurance bill, but protects something much more important -- your bodily safety.
Joe Garibaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 22:43   #3
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by hawkguy View Post
hey! i just wanted to put up a topic to discuss. basically, i can't think of an advantage a handgun has over a shotgun or rifle. the only thing i can come up with is concealment/carrying. and since i intend to do neither, i am seriously considering selling my handgun to get another shotgun.

don't get me wrong. i like my pistol, its fun to own and shoot... i just think pistols are sooooo outperformed by shotguns as home defense/close range (less shooter skill, more knock down, less penetration). pistols outperformed by rifles at any distance, and handguns won't work as well for hunting of any sort i think.

so i want to sell my semi auto pistol(my only handgun) and get a semi-auto shotgun (of course i will lose $ on the deal, but i (and my wife ) set a limit on the # of firearms i can own, so i don't go crazy). tell me i'm making the right move, or tell me why i'm not. i'm interested to see your opinions on this matter.
I can't. The handgun is just a tool to help you so that you can get to the shotgun or rifle. They are not high on my list, and I have plenty of them. From a self defense view, I would take a shotgun loaded with 0000 buckshot over any handgun. Personally, I would take a pump over a semi.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:39   #4
Points: 4,076, Level: 40 Points: 4,076, Level: 40 Points: 4,076, Level: 40
Last Achievements

There will come a time when you wished you had the handgun to carry, because a long gun was impracticle and obvious!
bquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:12   #5
disappointed member
Points: 57,919, Level: 100 Points: 57,919, Level: 100 Points: 57,919, Level: 100
Last Achievements

you bring up some good points. as for carrying, i don't have a permit and don't really see getting one anytime soon. so for me, carrying is a moot point.

you may have a point on a handgun being more maneuverable and accessible....that is something i have considered. i like my handgun & i would miss it. i just don't think it stacks up well overall against a shotgun.

but can you honestly say in a close quarters confrontaion, you would prefer a handgun over a shotgun? i think if shooters are anywhere near equal, guy with the handgun gets carried out imo.

to clarify, i do already have a shotgun and rifles. but i want a new semi shotgun (jus cause). wish i could keep the handgun, but i'm "capped" on the amount of firearms i can have. for MY purposes, i can't see too many reasons to keep the handgun....but i wanna be sure.

Originally Posted by Joe Garibaldi View Post
You can carry a handgun anywhere (laws permitting).

Car-jacking? Try getting that long gun into action.

Luby's shooting (you're in Texas, right?)? That shotgun in the car ain't gonna be of much help. The pistol on your hip will be.

Even in a home invasion, a pistol is more maneuverable and accessible, unless your bedroom is the size of Grand Central Station and the hallways as wide as its train tunnels.

IMHO, the pistol is the ultimate defensive weapon for many of the above reasons. Long guns are more offensive weapons.

In a SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, I'd want a long gun (and have some for that reason), but in an everyday civilized existence, a pistol is just more versatile, practical, and handy.

For about $200, you can get a reliable pump shotgun to complement your pistol. Yeah, that's not peanuts, but compare it to what you probably spend on medical insurance, homeowners/renters insurance, and auto insurance, on a monthly basis. All that insurance compensates you monetarily after bad stuff happens.

A pistol is ever-available to prevent bad stuff from happening. I'd say don't give it up, and get yourself a long gun . . . it costs a fraction of your regular insurance bill, but protects something much more important -- your bodily safety.
Old 07-28-2010, 07:30   #6
Points: 5,848, Level: 49 Points: 5,848, Level: 49 Points: 5,848, Level: 49
Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6% Activity: 1.6%
Last Achievements

Uh, how about ...

...a new 'over-the-cap' pistol is easier to hide from your wife than a long gun, either shottie or rifle?
Mabes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:49   #7
disappointed member
Last Achievements

to be clear, i already own: 2 rifles, a 20 G dbl barrel, handgun

4 is my limit. i really want a SEMI AUTO 12 G. i have to give up something, for my purposes, the handgun seems the least useful to ME. but, i still have some reservations about having NO handgun.

its a tough choice to make...
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52   #8
disappointed member
Last Achievements

ok, now you're just trying to get me in trouble

Originally Posted by Mabes View Post
...a new 'over-the-cap' pistol is easier to hide from your wife than a long gun, either shottie or rifle?
Old 07-28-2010, 10:11   #9
Last Achievements

keep the pistol, try to change the "capped" limit. Explain the (advantages of having both the pistol and shotie).
Old 07-28-2010, 10:46   #10
Points: 5,530, Level: 47 Points: 5,530, Level: 47 Points: 5,530, Level: 47
Last Achievements

Can't give you a good reason Hawk. I have plenty of handguns all top of the line from Kimber's to Sig's and quite a few in-between. Hardly ever shoot any of them They do have their purpose but would be my last choice and last line of defense over a carbine or shotty.
improved.flv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:59   #11
disappointed member
Last Achievements

that's kinda what i'm thinking. handguns are good for carry..and that's really the only advantage that i can personally see. they are cool and fun to shoot...but i think i want this semi shotgun more & in the end....its a hell of a lot more weapon.

i can't give up my 20 gauge dbl barrel or lever action, i just like them too much. its down to selling my carbine or pistol. for me, the obvious choice still seems to be the pistol, unless i am convinced otherwise. but its seems most agree with me.

Originally Posted by improved.flv View Post
Can't give you a good reason Hawk. I have plenty of handguns all top of the line from Kimber's to Sig's and quite a few in-between. Hardly ever shoot any of them They do have their purpose but would be my last choice and last line of defense over a carbine or shotty.
Old 07-28-2010, 13:01   #12
disappointed member
Last Achievements

this might work...but this was really agreed upon a long time ago. so, what is your advice?

keep what i have? or sell my carbine instead?

Originally Posted by bquick View Post
keep the pistol, try to change the "capped" limit. Explain the (advantages of having both the pistol and shotie).
Old 07-28-2010, 14:32   #13
Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27
Last Achievements

Aside from the portability advantages already mentioned, a handgun can be aimed, fired, and reloaded effectively with one hand. If one hand or arm was disabled, you would have a much more difficult time doing that with a rifle or shotgun.
gunblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 15:03   #14
Points: 4,060, Level: 40 Points: 4,060, Level: 40 Points: 4,060, Level: 40
Last Achievements

Option 1:
Sell the pistol and get the shotgun, which is what you want to do anyway. Nothing wrong with your rationale, either. Pistols will still be available for the forseeable future; no worries.
Option 2:
Take the CHL course and start carrying so you'll have a reason for a pistol.
Option 3:
Keep the pistol and buy your wife the shotgun: no limit has been set on the number of guns she can own, right?
This "Hey, Honey: lookit what I bought for you!" concept has been proven to work with everything from Barrett .50 to .22 revolvers. Women like presents, and nothing says "I love you" like a new, shiny gun (or a crate of ammo).
Option 4:
Offload the wife and buy whatever you want.

Having done all of the above at one time or another, Option 1 is the path of least resistance, but Option 3 is the one I recommend.
Oddly enough, your requirement for more firearms is unlikely to be seen as adequate justification for invoking Option 4, but you do need more firearms. The absolute minimum is generally held to be a major caliber rifle, a rimfire rifle, a shotgun, a major caliber pistol, and a rimfire pistol.
PigBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 17:28   #15
Last Achievements

this might work...but this was really agreed upon a long time ago. so, what is your advice?

keep what i have? or sell my carbine instead?
no sir, If that carbine is a good one I'd keep it, if you want that shotgun get it, I think you need to raise your capacity to own. I see some negotiating needed in your situation. But I do think everyone should have a good working sidearm along with a good knife. A pistol is a quick response when needed, a long gun is much better, but again I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Old 07-28-2010, 17:30   #16
Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27 Points: 2,061, Level: 27
Last Achievements

Talk to your wife about setting limits on what she likes to buy for herself...shoes, purses, trips to the hairdresser, new clothes, twenty different kinds of eye shadow, seventeen different kinds of shampoo, etc., etc., etc. See how she likes that.
gunblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 20:37   #17
disappointed member
Last Achievements

aimed and fired i can do. but i'm not so sure i could reload my handgun effectively with one hand any easier than anything else. either i don't know some tricks, or you've got mad handgun skills.

i mean, i could do it, but it wouldn't be quick or sexy. maybe i'll practice this tomorrow.

Originally Posted by gunblade View Post
Aside from the portability advantages already mentioned, a handgun can be aimed, fired, and reloaded effectively with one hand. If one hand or arm was disabled, you would have a much more difficult time doing that with a rifle or shotgun.
Old 07-28-2010, 20:52   #18
disappointed member
Last Achievements

option 1: yeah, it is kinda what i want to do. but i can always stick with what i have as well.

option 2: not currently interested. maybe someday...i get older and more paranoid every year

option 3: nope. i think she'd say thanks, return it, and go on a shopping spree.

option 4: hmmmm i could buy anything i want,eh? nah...too much time and effort invested. seriously, if i pushed hard enough i would get my way, but it doesn't seem worth it. guns, like anything else, are just material items......and she is the love of my life...that's right, i said it....

Originally Posted by PigBat View Post
Option 1:
Sell the pistol and get the shotgun, which is what you want to do anyway. Nothing wrong with your rationale, either. Pistols will still be available for the forseeable future; no worries.
Option 2:
Take the CHL course and start carrying so you'll have a reason for a pistol.
Option 3:
Keep the pistol and buy your wife the shotgun: no limit has been set on the number of guns she can own, right?
This "Hey, Honey: lookit what I bought for you!" concept has been proven to work with everything from Barrett .50 to .22 revolvers. Women like presents, and nothing says "I love you" like a new, shiny gun (or a crate of ammo).
Option 4:
Offload the wife and buy whatever you want.

Having done all of the above at one time or another, Option 1 is the path of least resistance, but Option 3 is the one I recommend.
Oddly enough, your requirement for more firearms is unlikely to be seen as adequate justification for invoking Option 4, but you do need more firearms. The absolute minimum is generally held to be a major caliber rifle, a rimfire rifle, a shotgun, a major caliber pistol, and a rimfire pistol.
Old 07-28-2010, 21:19   #19
disappointed member
Last Achievements

ahh...we both set limits on spending indeed...the old money tree is not infinite at our house. but lets face it, unless you're wealthy (i'm not), guns are a very expensive habit. and we aren't "just put it on the credit card types."

but its really not like that. my old lady is cool and not a "whip cracker" type at all. she is also very frugile and low matinence(the best type to marry). but more guns equals more accesories, ammo, etc. & at this point is my life (with kids, mortgage, etc), i think i have a reasonable, if not generous limit. there's just not that much extra money for us right now, so to play with new toys, i have to sell old ones.

Originally Posted by gunblade View Post
Talk to your wife about setting limits on what she likes to buy for herself...shoes, purses, trips to the hairdresser, new clothes, twenty different kinds of eye shadow, seventeen different kinds of shampoo, etc., etc., etc. See how she likes that.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:53   #20
Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

The thing that gets me about your situation is you seem to have a hard limit on numbers of firearms due to money. I'd personally save up the money to get the shotgun if this were the case.

BTW, which shotgun are you looking at?

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:08   #21
disappointed member
Last Achievements

is 4 really THAT bad? like i said, its just a # to keep the spending down. sadly, guns are just "toys" and a light, fun hobby for me, so i don't mind. if i did a lot of hunting, competition shooting, etc it would be different. one more gun can turn into one more & one more & one more y'know? however, i might be able to sell off some other stuff & keep the pistol. who knows?

i'm looking at a mossberg 930 special purpose. maybe the spx....looks like a fun gun..gets pretty good reviews overall.

Originally Posted by jimbobborg View Post
The thing that gets me about your situation is you seem to have a hard limit on numbers of firearms due to money. I'd personally save up the money to get the shotgun if this were the case.

BTW, which shotgun are you looking at?

Jim
Old 07-29-2010, 08:17   #22
Last Achievements

Seeing how I am up to 17 guns... Anyway, that Mossberg SPX is under $600. That's not hard to save up for. Not like $1100 for an FN.

Jim

is 4 really THAT bad? like i said, its just a # to keep the spending down. sadly, guns are just "toys" and a light, fun hobby for me, so i don't mind. if i did a lot of hunting, competition shooting, etc it would be different. one more gun can turn into one more & one more & one more y'know? however, i might be able to sell off some other stuff & keep the pistol. who knows?

i'm looking at a mossberg 930 special purpose. maybe the spx....looks like a fun gun..gets pretty good reviews overall.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:58   #23
disappointed member
Last Achievements

17? impressive....were some guns hand me downs? how long have you been collecting? i can't imagine you get to shoot all of these on a regular basis?

i am relatively new to "collecting" guns. for most of my adult years, i only had 1 gun. i bought the other 3 within the last 3-4 years.

but you've given me reason to think about other options.

still...if you had to choose considering MY situation...keep the pistol or get the shotgun? i know its my decision, but i like as much info/input as possible for every decision.

Originally Posted by jimbobborg View Post
Seeing how I am up to 17 guns... Anyway, that Mossberg SPX is under $600. That's not hard to save up for. Not like $1100 for an FN.

Jim
Old 07-29-2010, 09:59   #24
disappointed member
Last Achievements

thanks to all for the input! keep it coming!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:15   #25
Last Achievements

Hand me downs? Now that's funny. I purchased all myself.

One other thing, what kind of handgun do you have now? I've got 6 of them, three shotguns, and the rest are rifles. I do some competition shooting, not as much as I'd like. Four of the rifles are hunting guns, three of which pull double duty as competition guns, two of the handguns are hunting guns, two of the shotguns do double duty hunting/competition, although the side by side shotgun can be used for trap/skeet.

But a lot of folks will tell you, including myself, don't sell one gun to get another! You will regret it. There's not a day that goes by where I kick myself for selling my Ruger Vaquero to get an AR upper. Don't get me wrong, the AR is fun, but I should have just bought it and not sold the Ruger.

Jim