Handgun Misc All handguns that don't fit elsewhere!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 15:52   #101
disappointed member
Points: 80,454, Level: 100 Points: 80,454, Level: 100 Points: 80,454, Level: 100
Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7% Activity: 2.7%
Last Achievements

To begin with, no one including my wife tells me what and/or how many of anything I can buy. That is your first problem.
sigh. i can only assume this is directed at myself. first, if you are able to buy whatever you want anytime you want, you are either rich or in vast amounts of debt. i am neither. so, i must make decisions that include sometimes doing without. i think this is fairly common for most normal folk. and yes, my wife and i make decisons on both of our spending....again, not a situation most people would find abnormal.

second, i don't need or want you to diagnose any of my "problems." i didn't ask your input about my lifestyle, i asked a question about the need of a handgun for MY purposes.

Secondly, I always carry a handgun
and as i said......i don't. so my orginal question still remains, other than carry or conceal, why do i need a handgun?

.45acp. I have plenty of rifles, shotguns, etc. but I would never sell any of my handguns. I have a .45 by my bed. When I am awakened by a drunk at the front door at 0130, I was there in an instant with my .45. Opened the door to hear "please don't shoot me mister". It sobers drunks up fast, a shotgun would have too, but there wasn't time. That was a true story by the way. I would correct the first problem, above, and keep the handgun.
and i could have just as easily been at my door with my double barrel shotgun. a pistol is fine for HD. but imo, less effective than a shotty.

and if you read the whole conversation of the thread, you will see i already sold the pistol, but have since bought another. i can see that owning a pistol has its advantages, but it is still last on on my 'must have' firearms needs.
hawkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 16:36   #102
disappointed member
Points: 80,454, Level: 100 Points: 80,454, Level: 100 Points: 80,454, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by wlhawk View Post
I probably need to add a shotgun to my safe. Each type of weapon has it's advantages ans disadvantages. As I normally like to be armed, my pistols are my weapon of choice.
My wife would never be crazy enough to thinks she could limit the # of firearms I have. She has however said I've reached my limit on my hound dogs!
well, my wife has a very expensive habit as well....photography. so, she has never really really said "you can't have that." its more like like...."well, if YOU get a new gun, I get a new camera!" and somehow that seems to get us really broke....

question, though. would you really want a short range shoot out with this scenerio? You armed with a pistol & your enemy a 12gauge shotgun? not me, friend!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:52   #103
Points: 2,110, Level: 27 Points: 2,110, Level: 27 Points: 2,110, Level: 27
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%
Last Achievements

Smile Handgun Misc.

Mr. Hawkguy, You are correct. I should not have made any comment about your lifestyle, I apologize. It just hit me wrong, but that is no excuse, so please forgive me. I am neither rich or in debt. I have just been careful with my money. When working, I put some aside each paycheck. One for retirement, and two to buy men's toys with. I own four shotguns, and see the value of each. I just do not keep one loaded by my bed, I keep a pistol there. It is a matter of choice. Your choice is different and I respect that. If you were to put a top folding stock on your new Mossberg semi-auto shotgun, it would shorten the length and thus make it easier to keep by your bed. By the way, I am into photography too, and love it. My favorite is to take photos of nature and wildlife. I have not hunted with a firearm since my Dad died. Best wishes to you, and I will be more careful how I respond in the future.
KSDeputy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 17:31   #104
disappointed member
Last Achievements

Mr. Hawkguy, You are correct. I should not have made any comment about your lifestyle, I apologize. It just hit me wrong, but that is no excuse, so please forgive me

thanks, i appreciate that. no worries, my friend. i probably overreacted as well to be honest.

I am neither rich or in debt. I have just been careful with my money. When working, I put some aside each paycheck. One for retirement, and two to buy men's toys with. I own four shotguns, and see the value of each. I just do not keep one loaded by my bed, I keep a pistol there. It is a matter of choice. Your choice is different and I respect that. If you were to put a top folding stock on your new Mossberg semi-auto shotgun, it would shorten the length and thus make it easier to keep by your bed. By the way, I am into photography too, and love it. My favorite is to take photos of nature and wildlife. I have not hunted with a firearm since my Dad died. Best wishes to you, and I will be more careful how I respond in the future.
i think pistols can be a fine HD weapon, so i agree with you actually. personally, i never trusted MY abilities with a pistol, especially under pressure. shotguns have a little more "user error." they also have greater stopping power. so, this is really just from my point of view, rather than fact. there is really no right or wrong here. any firearm will get the job done for HD, really. and everyone has their own preferences.

if you are confident with your skills with a pistol, then that is all that really matters.

i have also come to realize, a pistol is good to have in the arsenal for several reasons, and that is why i got another. i got two needs with my most recent purchase....a pistol & a 22....i felt i needed both.

i still think a pistol is my most expendable firearm, but i am glad i have one again.

thanks again for being so respectful with this post.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:41   #105
Registered Member
Points: 411, Level: 8 Points: 411, Level: 8 Points: 411, Level: 8
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I found a solution, I bought 2 .45, a 9mm and a cowboy SA......a AR and a SG.....instead of buying any more, I simply got .22 conversions for the .45 and AR, so now I have all bases covered.......btw, I use the .22's 99% of the time.
GeneC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:50   #106
Points: 3,059, Level: 34 Points: 3,059, Level: 34 Points: 3,059, Level: 34
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

If you really need a reason to keep your handgun then you're on the wrong forum. If you have any doubts about the value of having a handgun, not only the financial value but the freedom you have to own a handgun, then I think you should be hanging out with Hillary or Oh!Prah.
Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 18:05   #107
disappointed member
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
If you really need a reason to keep your handgun then you're on the wrong forum. If you have any doubts about the value of having a handgun, not only the financial value but the freedom you have to own a handgun, then I think you should be hanging out with Hillary or Oh!Prah.
what an insightful and intelligent response! i would probably rather hang out with hillary or oprah as opposed to YOU. i am a firearms enthusiast, so i have to disagree and say that i belong on this forum every bit as much as you.

again, please try reading the entire course of this thread. a few posts up, i acknowledged that handguns have value as a firearm. i was just simply stating that in my OPINION, they have the least use as a firearm, unless you plan to carry them.

if you don't agree, i can accept that. but, then again, i'm an open minded individual that seems to understand people are allowed to have different opinions.

i started this thread (a LONG time ago) to give handgun supporters a chance to tell me why a handgun is as important to have as longuns. some intelligent, respectful posters have influenced my thinking on this matter. there is really no more reason to keep responding to posters who either don't understand this thread, or don't seek to add anything constructive.

thanks for all the input, guys. i'm out of this thread.....carry on!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:17   #108
Points: 366, Level: 7 Points: 366, Level: 7 Points: 366, Level: 7
Last Achievements

Keeping the hand gun is very tough thing.4 is my limit. i really want a SEMI AUTO 12 G. i have to give up something, for my purposes, the handgun seems the least useful to ME. but, i still have some reservations about having NO handgun.its a tough choice to make...
samual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:43   #109
Points: 9,153, Level: 64 Points: 9,153, Level: 64 Points: 9,153, Level: 64
Activity: 19.7% Activity: 19.7% Activity: 19.7%
Last Achievements

I will personally take a handgun over a shotgun for home defense any day. One word: Maneuverability.
woodchuckssuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:23   #110
disappointed member
Last Achievements

heh....i own 2 handguns now.....how times change.

WAY more than 4 guns and still married.....patience can pay off.

just thought this was a funny thread to look back on. the basic idea remains true though imo, hanguns are good for conceal or back up, but little else in comparison to rifles and shotguns. but pistols are helluva a fun time, no doubt.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:36   #111
Points: 2,640, Level: 31 Points: 2,640, Level: 31 Points: 2,640, Level: 31
Activity: 16.4% Activity: 16.4% Activity: 16.4%
Last Achievements

If you can't figure out why a handgun might be better than a shotgun yes you should probably get rid of them.
survivalguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 17:18   #112
Old Hardheaded Okie
Points: 969, Level: 16 Points: 969, Level: 16 Points: 969, Level: 16
Last Achievements

For the last 50 years my handguns have been my primary firearms while working on my ranch. They are there, on my belt, when I need a gun while my shotguns and rifles tend to be back at the house, or on a rack in my truck somewhere instead of being with me on my tractor or horse. You are correct when you say that a hand gun will not completely fulfill the tasks of a shotgun or rifle completely, that's why I own rifles and shotguns but it is outstanding at being with me when I need to shoot a snake, bag a bunny or a couple of squirrels for dinner or clear out the overstock of turtles at the pond.
A few years ago I walked into a hidden pot patch someone had planted on my land. I had a S&W Mod 10 .38 spec. in my belt holster and yes, I would have preferred to have had my AR 15 Gov Mod or even one of my Stevens Mod 311's and a pocket full of Buckshot but as it was it didn't turn into a firefight and I was happy that I at least did have my old Smith with me. While they may not be the "do all, be all" of the gun world, handguns do serve a purpose and I would not give up any one of mine for another shotgun or rifle. When I want another one of them I'll just buy it and not give up my handguns.
okiemax51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:11   #113
Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

You can really tell who reads the whole thread and who just reads the first, ignores the date, and just posts.
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 22:52   #114
Full on evil Capitalist!
Points: 14,038, Level: 76 Points: 14,038, Level: 76 Points: 14,038, Level: 76
Activity: 43.6% Activity: 43.6% Activity: 43.6%
Last Achievements

Depends on budget, but you can never have too many guns.

Old 12-19-2013, 14:16   #115
Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24 Points: 1,730, Level: 24
Last Achievements

I have always preferred handguns over rifles. In fact, at the moment, I do not own anything but handguns.
jmohme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:17   #116
Draw, Varmint!
Points: 4,957, Level: 45 Points: 4,957, Level: 45 Points: 4,957, Level: 45
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%
Last Achievements

How about, .......

And, of course,

Is this enough reasons for ya!