Handgun Misc All handguns that don't fit elsewhere!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 12:48   #1
Points: 3,036, Level: 33 Points: 3,036, Level: 33 Points: 3,036, Level: 33
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

MasterPiece Arms Mac-10 Review

Hi everyone this is part 1 of my MasterPiece Arms Mac-10 review. The model I have for review is the MPA30T-A. This is the full size 9mm Mac-10 from MasterPiece Arms.

The first part Iím going to start off with is the fit and finish. This seems to be a small complaint on a few of the Mac series.

The fit and finish on the Mac-10 from MasterPiece Arms is great. The welds have been cleaned up with no sharp edges on it all. I have to look really close to see the welds. They cleaned them up really well and then painted the gun with a flat black.

The second thing Iím going to talk about is the sites. The sites have been a big complaint on the Mac-10 series. I can understand why and see that now after really holding one in my hands. I have held others and didnít pay much attention to it then.

The MasterPiece Arms has an ok site on it and its something that wonít be a problem with shooting it and being right on target. I think where the complaints lye with it is the Mac-10 series has a small hole to look through. These are not normal open sites you would see on a handgun and that is something that you just have to get used to.

I have been looking to see if I can make a scope mount of some kind without having to put it on rail that would have to be attached to the Mac-10 permanently. I believe I have found a way of doing this.

The front take down pin=2 0is right under the front sight. The front sight has holes on the side of it and I believe I can mod something to work with the take down pin and front sight. I will have more on this later on and maybe a video to show what Iím talking about.

The third thing Iím going to talk about is the grip on the Mac-10. I have heard complaints that itís to thick and one thing people hated about it. The grip is thick but not that bad.

The grip on it I can see where it would be great in full auto and maybe something to get used to compared to other handguns in semi auto. My Glock G19 took me awhile to get used to and to adapt to shooting it. I feel this is something I will have to do with the Mac-10 and itís no big deal on it.

The fourth thing I want to talk20about is the magazine release. I have read that some of the Mac-10 series where and are tough to get it to let go. I put the magazine in it last night and the MasterPiece Arms has no problems with releasing the magazine and let me take it out.

Iím not sure if it should drop free or if the design of it is to push and pull it out. I didnít even try to let it drop free. This maybe something I will try and update in my second part of this review.

The fifth thing I want to talk about is the top cocking handle on the Mac-10. The cocking handle is another thing I have heard good and bad things about.

I have talked to others who have had other brands of Mac-10ís and they said the charging handle was sharp and would cut there hands when chambering a round. The MasterPiece Arms has no sharp edges on it at all.

I have also read that the charging handle got in the way of the sights I myself have not noticed this yet on it but maybe I will see something different at the range.

The charging handle is stiff but I feel it will loosen up a bit after I break it in. I was comparing it to my other handguns and I would say it would come close to my Polish Makarov copy I have. Thatís really stiff as well and has gotten better over time so I feel the Mac-10 will also. This again is no big deal to affect the gun or me shooting it.

The sixth thing I want to talk about is the magazines for it. The MasterPiece Arms uses the sten magazines and I know I have read itís hit or miss on used magazines.

This one comes with what they say is a new Sten magazine. Iím not sure if they are new or not as I thought they have not made new magazines in years. This one came with what looks like a new follower inside it. The body of the magazine does look new and never used and again I donít know if it something MasterPiece Arms has done and went ahead and made them or just re-did original ones.

The magazine again is something I will know more about when I get to shoot the gun. I also have a fe w used magazines that I will get to try out as well. This is something I can talk more about in part two of the review.

This is all I have for now and if you have questions or something you want to me to talk about post and PM me. I canít wait to get to the range with it and I hope to have a video of it at the range. Iím not sure how the range feels about cameras so I will see when I get there.

Thanks everyone for reading and stay tuned for part two my day at the range. I will add pictures and a small video later on tonight or tomorrow.

Olympicarmsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 21:05   #2
Points: 4,828, Level: 44 Points: 4,828, Level: 44 Points: 4,828, Level: 44
Last Achievements

I have a Cobray Mac 11 in 9MM w/full shrouded barrel. Got to be careful with these, if you fire them to fast in semi mode they can go full auto and scare the crappola outta ya. At least mine has done this on more than one occassion.
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 12:01   #3
Last Achievements

I cant wait to get to the range and try it out. I have heard someone else tell me the same thing on Cobray Mac's. I have read where the triggers on MPAs have some slap to them but I will see.
Old 10-23-2009, 08:34   #4
Registered Member
Points: 1,852, Level: 25 Points: 1,852, Level: 25 Points: 1,852, Level: 25
Last Achievements

yeah mine did the same thing at the range yesterday, without even my finger near the trigger...
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 09:52   #5
Last Achievements

Im still hopping to shoot soon. I have not had a chance since have a gall bladder surgery and other health problems. I never thought it would take me this long to be able to get to a range.

I think I will just save my money get some surplus ammo and shoot at my grandmothers in WV at Christmas time.
Old 11-08-2009, 07:07   #6
WILDCATT

mac 10/12

I have shot the Mac 12 380.interesting.get a strap to put on front of receiver.trust me.yours are semi auto.but you might want to hold the gun with two hands.with the full auto its dangerous to the shooter not to use a strap as it comes up fast.per the case in Mass where the kid lost control and took them in the head.the gun is not really a pistol.its a semiauto subgun.
I know it cant be both!!
Old 12-01-2009, 18:29   #7
Points: 2,943, Level: 33 Points: 2,943, Level: 33 Points: 2,943, Level: 33
Last Achievements

I too have experienced the "sweet spot" in the trigger (Cobray) where it burst fires! Not my gun, but it was fun trying to find that spot...I only shot one mag but got a couple 3rd bursts. My other friend got two long bursts on his first try!

Is the burst fire even possible on the MPA?
BennyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:51   #8
Points: 3,225, Level: 35 Points: 3,225, Level: 35 Points: 3,225, Level: 35
Last Achievements

I'd like to try the 45ACP version myself.

I've had a couple of the SWB/Cobray, and one or two other names I forget in the past. They functioned well, but I never expected anything more than that. Back then, new they were $179 for a 9mm.

And I've always wanted the 380 size M-12, it just never happened. A legal full auto version of that would be awesome.
Old 02-21-2010, 21:30   #9
Registered Member
Points: 1,605, Level: 23 Points: 1,605, Level: 23 Points: 1,605, Level: 23
Last Achievements

I have the MasterPiece Arms MPA 30SST 9mm and at any given time I can hold the barrel extension and pull the trigger in full auto every time it is very fun and super easy to do.
TJeffW1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 15:22   #10
Registered Member
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by TJeffW1974 View Post
I have the MasterPiece Arms MPA 30SST 9mm and at any given time I can hold the barrel extension and pull the trigger in full auto every time it is very fun and super easy to do.
problem is it is also illegal, BIGTIME. The boys and girls at the BATFE can and will put you in jail for having a class 3 weapon if it "bursts"....I have a MPA, that was sent back to manufacturer for this problem, and it came back 'fixed', 50 rounds later still doing the same thing. I am taking this piece of garbage back and getting my money back, I would NOT recommend this weapon to anyone.EVER.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:50   #11
Moderator Moderator and Super MemberSuper Member
Points: 33,602, Level: 100 Points: 33,602, Level: 100 Points: 33,602, Level: 100
Last Achievements

I suspect what is being done is "bump firing", a loose hold or soft-stroking the trigger without following through can result in recoil resetting the disconnector and the piece firing as the bolt chambers the next round as the gun wobbles around in your hand. To my knowledge this is not illegal per se, but can get you a lot of unwanted and expensive attention until and if it is verified that is what was happening and not some mechanical problem with the firearm.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:58   #12
Registered Member
Last Achievements

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by markw76 View Post
I suspect what is being done is "bump firing", a loose hold or soft-stroking the trigger without following through can result in recoil resetting the disconnector and the piece firing as the bolt chambers the next round as the gun wobbles around in your hand. To my knowledge this is not illegal per se, but can get you a lot of unwanted and expensive attention until and if it is verified that is what was happening and not some mechanical problem with the firearm.
Well, I'm trying to remember the exact circumstances but I don't believe I was soft-stroking the trigger, and the first time this happen to me I had just finished firing down range and was about to hand the gun off to a buddy next to me and I know my finger wasn't even touching the trigger that time, its just really fortunate the weapon was pointed down range at all times, because it did "burst fire" and my buddy could have gotten several rounds at point-blank range. I appreciate your response though, very informative.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:00   #13
Points: 33,602, Level: 100 Points: 33,602, Level: 100 Points: 33,602, Level: 100
Last Achievements

If no finger was near the trigger and it fired multiple times, that's a seriously sick and unsafe puppy.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:32   #14
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

not to burst anyone's bubble (or start a slam war) but the MACs are just plain chunks of junk to begin with. there are far better options for compact SMGs on the market. granted they cost ALOT more... but far better pieces of hardware can be had. Hell, any good semi auto handgun with a super High cap mag is a better piece of hardware than a semi auto MAC. I'd go into harm's way with my Ruger P89 and a pouch of 30 round aftermarket highcaps (tested) before I took any MAC.
think about who actually uses a MAC... Gang bangers and thugs for the most part... (the seals used them in.45 back in SE asia for limited applications (mainly due to the fact that it could take a surpressor, and options for this were limited in the 60's) but now that there are FAR better arms that fit the niche, you won't see any pros using a MAC...
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 13:18   #15
Last Achievements

Most attempts at making a semi out of a dedicated full-auto like the MAC series didn't turn out well. The MAC in its original configuration was, by most accounts, a simple, down and dirty performer. It is also a very old design.

Don't even get started on WerBell.
Old 03-27-2010, 19:29   #16
Registered Member
Points: 1,537, Level: 22 Points: 1,537, Level: 22 Points: 1,537, Level: 22
Last Achievements

Mac-10

I just bought the MPA-45 and was reading these comments I still have the Cobray M-11-9MM that was made in 1989 some times when during rapped fire I to would experence 2-3 shot bursts but the same has happended with my Colt AR-15 when I was tring to see how fast I could fire it I think it may have to with having your finger on the triger during the recoil, As far as the sights on Mac's there not ment to aim like Mac 10 full autos there ment to send a barrage of fire. If you remember the actual news films of when Hinkley tryed to shoot presedent regan you could see one of the secrete service men pull what looked like a Mac-10 out of his breif case and the sights looked the same, But I am no expert thanks for your time and comments.

Last edited by nowhereman; 03-27-2010 at 19:32. Reason: spell check
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 19:57   #17
Last Achievements

I always thought they packet UZIs myself.
Old 03-28-2010, 00:16   #18
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by markw76 View Post
I always thought they packet UZIs myself.
you would be correct. see photo - that would be an Uzi, The Secret service agent is extending the stock. used by the USSS from the 1960s until the early 90's when it was phased out in favor of the FN P90, MP5 and MP5K.
Attached Thumbnails
MasterPiece Arms Mac-10 Review-reagan_assassination_attempt_4_crop.jpg  
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 15:04   #19
Registered Member
Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9 Points: 466, Level: 9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by BobM View Post
I have a Cobray Mac 11 in 9MM w/full shrouded barrel. Got to be careful with these, if you fire them to fast in semi mode they can go full auto and scare the crappola outta ya. At least mine has done this on more than one occassion.
Hi BobM
I to have a Cobra 11 and also had a heart attack when it went into full auto,but for me it seemed if I pull the triger slowly and didn't pull it all the way to the rear it would firer full auto.Must be a defect in a certain part that allows it to do that.I have other friends that have the same gun and don't have any probles like that at all.Thanks for your post I thought mine was the only on.
Pelksta is offline   Reply With Quote