Perfect Union banner

Wedealinlead

3K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  JGibson 
#1 ·
FWIW:

I have read here for a good while but posted rarely. There may be some interest here in a forum I started 5 weeks ago. Not quite the same as the focus here but very similar.

We focus first and foremost on firearms, reloading, casting, and such with a great deal on the old west gunmen and lawmen. Ancillary focus is on survivalist topics. Take a look if you want.

wedealinlead.net ? Index page

See less See more
#2 ·
wedealinlead.net ? Index page

Again, we specialize in casting and reloading, but here is an example of a sketch that I posted. They are ongoing:

Buckshot Roberts fought like a junk-yard dog at Blazer's Mill. If I can refresh my memory and find enough, I'll write about it Tuesday or Wednesday.

I guarantee he'd made a whole lotta tough guys walk the other side of the street.

What was that quote from him when he was facing 13 men armed to the teeth? "Yeah, you'll kill me alright but I guarantee there will be some of y'all laying out beside me."

Whew. Whole lotta backbone there.

Well, I am obliged for the encouragement.

How about a "hell for leather" tale of one of the really tough hombres? This story takes place on April 4, 1878. Emblazoned onto the tough guy wall of fame would be the name ANDREW L. ROBERTS.

The long weathered Indian fighter, Texas Ranger, Buffalo Hunter, and frontiersman known as Buckshot Roberts- due to taking a load of buckshot in his right shoulder in his past- would assure that his name lived long after his passing.

From truewest.ning.com and Bob Boze Bell:

Here is the grandson of Dr. Blazer pointing out where one of Buckshot's antagonists was shooting at him from:

"Of course, Buckshot had been gut shot by Chuck Bowdre in the first exchange of gunfire at Blazer's Mill and Roberts holed up in an office in Blazer's building and grabbed a rifle off the wall (he emptied his Winchester into Bowdre and the crowd surrounding him). Bleeding like a stuck pig from the gut wound Roberts grabbed a mattress from a bed in the room and threw it across the doorway, laid down with the foreign rifle to defend himself. The leader of the Regulators, Dick Brewer, ran down to a saw mill about 100 yards from the doorway where Roberts was holed up. Brewer hid behind a wood pile and popped off a shot at Roberts. His shot was a tad high and thudded into the wall behind Roberts' head. Noting where the puff of smoke came from, Roberts looked down the hill and trained his rifle at the spot where he saw the report. Brewer, meanwhile, waited a few seconds then peered over the cord of wood to see if he got his man. Roberts factored in the distance, took aim and pulled the trigger. The bullet entered Brewer's eye and took out the back of his skull."

Mr. Blazer on the old rifle that Buckshot Roberts had appropriated:

"We all used it for hunting, but nobody in the family could hit a damn thing with that rifle."

The great historian of the old west, Robert Utley describes Buckshot's past as "murky". Indeed it is. His tombstone signifies he served in the CSA during the Civil War. We'll go with that. Utley refers to him in the following manner, he was a short man with a stocky build, he was a loner, and he preferred riding a mule. So, we have a man around 5'8", stocky, and with a preference toward being left alone. Sources about his past are indeed contradictory. Some have him in the Union Army and on the opposite side of the Texas Rangers. Most agree he was a preeminent frontiersman, a buffalo hunter and known to have been involved in shooting scrapes on more than one occasion. One account has him being on the run from several Texas Rangers and in a pitched battle killed three of them before taking a shotgun blast to his right shoulder. Based on what is coming, that is certainly believable.

On April 4, 1878, death rode in on a mule. . .

---------------------------------------------------

More at: wedealinlead.net ? Index page

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.