Perfect Union banner

Show us your first gun

3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  Barry McOckiner 
#1 ·
I took the afternoon off yesterday, loaded up my truck and headed for the range. This time I carried my old single shot 20ga shotgun that just happens to be my first gun. It belonged to my grandfather and was given to me by my dad when I was 9 years old. I had not shot this gun in at least 30 years until yesterday. Brought back some great memorys. I'm gonna try to restore it, and give it a new lease on life, and one day it will belong to my grandson.
If you are lucky enough to still have your first gun, take some pics or a video of it, but even if you don't, I would love to hear about it.
Thanks for lookin,

Donnie D

#4 ·
I still have my grandfathers Rem 550-1. Just rebuilt it last week actually. New charging handle and action springs, put a new safety plunger, and plunger spring in it. Still trying to locate a front sight for it.
This old gun has had a hard life. I completely disassembled it to clean it (probably the first time since it had left the factory) right before my first deployment. I didn't get around to re-assembling it before I left, so my mother (trying to do something good) gave it to our local "handyman" to try and re assemble.. he managed to cross thread the sear spring case (which if you know this gun you know that this ruins it.) and somehow I ended up with an extra spring and plunger, (which my mother promptly lost) and the safety no longer worked...

Needless to say I am STILL pissed about this! I took the gun totally apart and worked on the threads for the sear spring case and managed to get everything back together and plan on test firing it this weekend.

I literally ran tens of thousands of rounds through this little badass from the time I was 9 until I shipped out for boot camp and it has put an uncounable number of varmints out of their misery. Everything from starlings to ***** and the occasional feral cat.

Pics will follow. I want to re-blue it but have absolutely NO intention of completely dis-assembling this gun ever again.

#5 ·
My first gun was a single shot 20 gauge, I got it Christmas of 93. Birthday of 94 I got my grandfathers old bolt action Rem .22 that dates back into the 30's. They have both had ungodly amounts of ammo through them, and the. 22 was the gun my dad always **** hunted with, and that my papaw always **** hunted with, so its shot untold numbers of ***** in the hands of 3 generations.

Sent from behind my anvil in ye olde smithy

#6 ·
First gun was a S&W Mod 64 SS 38 spc. Loved the gun, wish I still had it but it seems when the wife left she thought she needed it more than I did. Came home from a trip and all of my guns were gone. That was in the 80's, I have since added several hundred more but no mod 64.

#13 ·
ruger 10/22 with walnut stock "santa" got me when I was ten. 4x tasco sitting up on top. mom hated it. Better taken care of than any of my guns. Would never part with a gun, but this would be last on my list. sold my first bow, lesson learned. I wanted to get goodies for it when younger but I'm Glad i didn't booger it up though. Will be passed to my kids in the future.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.