LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 01:58   #1
Banned
Points: 1,625, Level: 23 Points: 1,625, Level: 23 Points: 1,625, Level: 23
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

2 Year Review of a Gibson Gunbelt

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all.

Back in 2009 I wrote the following review, and seeing that Bruce Gibson had posted a couple of his belts on another forum I thought I'd post my review here so readers could get a better idea of the quality of his work. It has now been four years and what I said at the two year threshold is still true at the four year mark.

Walking into work today I noticed that one of my co-workers had a belt that was looking the worse for wear.

He told me he got it cheap about six months ago from one of the "Cop Shops". The dye was rubbed off in numerous places, the edges were rolled and it looked like fecal matter. I thought to myself that it was a good thing that the thing he generously called a belt was under his duty belt.

Then I showed him my belt. IIRC it's at least two, closer to three, years old. It shows some minor wear, but the dye has not rubbed off. It has conformed to my body, but the edges aren't rolled. Compared to his, it looks new. I have one Gibson Belt for work, and one for off duty. Both look good and are holding up well.

For the sake of easy math, let's say they cost $100. In two years my co-worker will go through four belts and need another. That the cost of one Belt right there. At the rate my Gibson Belts are wearing, and they are the only Belts I wear, on duty or off unless I'm wearing a suit, and that's only three time a year or so, my Belts will last another five years easily.

In short, while the initial outlay of cash is more, it will last longer and wear better than the cheap belts available at the "Cop Shop". It's true, "You get what you pay for."

I don't "baby" my gear, and truth be told, I'm hard on my equipment. Both belts are holding up very well, and while they have taken on some character, they don't look wore out and ready for the waste basket. My Duty Belt alone is significant weight. Off Duty I carry a full size gun, Hi Power, and two reloads as well as a BUG.

So, if you are asking yourself, "Do I need a Gunbelt", decide for yourself. Longterm economics would say you do.

Biker

The only significant change is that I went back to carrying a 1911 most days and on days off I wear a Wilderness Belt if I'm wearing 5.11 Pants instead of jeans. I wear 5.11 Pants about 30% of the time I'm not at work.

Biker

Last edited by BikerRN; 04-15-2011 at 02:03. Reason: typo
BikerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 07:20   #2
Tracker
Points: 2,122, Level: 27 Points: 2,122, Level: 27 Points: 2,122, Level: 27
Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4% Activity: 2.4%
Last Achievements

Some Pics would nice.
Joe-R
Old 10-22-2011, 01:42   #3
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by XR750 View Post
Some Pics would nice.
Joe-R
don't think thats gonna happen -
BikerRN had some sort of a meltdown and self terminated (spammed the site with "ban me" repeated ad nauseum on all fourms ) back when the site got sold.

unless he re registered (unlikely - since he terminated himself intentionally) under a new handle, he's gone

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote