General Chit Chat No politics or religion in this section!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 23:10   #1
Moderator Moderator and Super MemberSuper Member
Points: 33,602, Level: 100 Points: 33,602, Level: 100 Points: 33,602, Level: 100
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Self control a lesson lost to many (modern public figures)

A politician may have been the latest, but it is by no means limited to them.

When did we become so rude?

Last edited by markw76; 09-15-2009 at 11:24.
markw76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:38   #2
Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94 Points: 23,705, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Providence psychiatrist Dr. Joseph Mol said such behavior stems from self-centeredness, ego and can also be a ploy for attention.
It is the thug mentality. We decry the gang culture yet fall into the same trap. The focus on Me, My Rights, Self Love, the concept of Manifest Destiny, and little self control all plays a part. We see it even in our religious culture with the rise of non-denominational churches, the refusal to place one self under any type of authority, and little accountability to others. All one has to do is read the Political forums on the web to see this boorish behavior on overload. It is the same sin as was exhibited by the ruler of this world. I
Old 09-15-2009, 10:32   #3
Points: 33,602, Level: 100 Points: 33,602, Level: 100 Points: 33,602, Level: 100
Last Achievements

Up The Rebels!
Old 09-15-2009, 11:12   #4
hostilenativelibertarian.
Points: 24,104, Level: 94 Points: 24,104, Level: 94 Points: 24,104, Level: 94
Activity: 82.7% Activity: 82.7% Activity: 82.7%
Last Achievements

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!
Oh No-I'm losing control........................................... ...............again!

...Just take the shot...
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:23   #5
Last Achievements

Don't worry....happens to a lot of us old farts eventually...
Old 09-15-2009, 11:52   #6
Points: 13,166, Level: 74 Points: 13,166, Level: 74 Points: 13,166, Level: 74
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by markw76 View Post
Don't worry....happens to a lot of us old farts eventually...
True, but don't forget, dirty old men need love too.

NRA
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Army (Ret.)
COBRADOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:04   #7
Points: 13,166, Level: 74 Points: 13,166, Level: 74 Points: 13,166, Level: 74
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by gossman View Post
It is the thug mentality. We decry the gang culture yet fall into the same trap. The focus on Me, My Rights, Self Love, the concept of Manifest Destiny, and little self control all plays a part. We see it even in our religious culture with the rise of non-denominational churches, the refusal to place one self under any type of authority, and little accountability to others. All one has to do is read the Political forums on the web to see this boorish behavior on overload. It is the same sin as was exhibited by the ruler of this world. I
It all started in 1946 with Dr. Benjamin Spock's books on the new ideas on how to raise children and the birth of the baby-boomers. You weren't supposed to discipline your children, you weren't supposed to say "NO" to them, you weren't supposed to do anything that would damage their self esteme, etc., etc., etc...........

Then the baby-boomers grew up, not having been taught self-discipline, had children of their own which became the "ME" generation.

Add to this the imposition of PC where you can't speak up when you see something wrong for fear that you may upset someones feelings and they may not like you for speaking up............. I think you can take it from here.

NRA
Vietnam Veteran
U.S. Army (Ret.)
COBRADOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 12:40   #8
Last Achievements

I don't believe in the routine use of corporal punishment like I saw applied when I was a kid, but I don't rule it out entirely given sufficient provocation by the little brats...sometimes the only thing that gets through is a switch to the behind, and after awhile the memory should be enough until they get old enough to develop some reasoning power. As long as discipline is applied evenly and fairly, most kids want to please their parents as long as it doesn't get in the way of their fun... There was only 1 time I gave more than 1 swat to either of my girls. After the first time, all I had to do was give them "the look".
Old 09-15-2009, 12:53   #9
Points: 6,412, Level: 52 Points: 6,412, Level: 52 Points: 6,412, Level: 52
Last Achievements

Jay Leno put him in a different mind set.

http://www.breitbart.tv/jay-lenos-qu...es-kanye-west/
Geo-Lobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 13:13   #10
Last Achievements

Momma woulda smacked him.

The guy needs to grow up, stop drinking, and grow a pair.
Old 09-15-2009, 18:01   #11
Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by gossman View Post

Originally Posted by COBRADOC View Post
It all started in 1946 with Dr. Benjamin Spock's books on the new ideas on how to raise children and the birth of the baby-boomers. You weren't supposed to discipline your children, you weren't supposed to say "NO" to them, you weren't supposed to do anything that would damage their self esteme, etc., etc., etc...........

Then the baby-boomers grew up, not having been taught self-discipline, had children of their own which became the "ME" generation.
With the exception of Manifest Destiny and political forums (not sure I understand that part), + 1 Million to both. I recently saw a commercial for an ID-theft-prevention service featuring a mother crying because, worst of all the ID theft consequences, was "having to tell my children 'no' when they want something." The horror, the horror!!!!

Corporal Punishment

As for corporal punishment, when I was little, nothing else could keep me in line. While I loved my Mother, at 3-4 years old, I had one of those little boy's primate brains (incapable of understanding the concept of respect), weighing only pleasure and pain, and my Mother was physically unable to cause me pain. What always got my attention was her admonition that she'd tell my Father when he got home. He could cause pain, though only did so in a very controlled manner, prefaced by a long lecture about how it hurt him more than it hurt me.

I believed the lecture, but without my eventual hurt, I doubt it would have had any affect. I also never knew if he planned it this way, but the lecture made the anticipation of the whipping worse than the real thing. Pretty soon, I learned to avoid the hurt to both of us, my primate brain eveolving into a semi-human one.

Kanye West

I suspect that was staged. Too much of a coincidence, IMHO, that this happened and got all sorts of press the very day he was going to be on Jay Leno's inaugural show to play his new song.
Joe Garibaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 18:11   #12
Last Achievements

As I've read it, "Manifest Destiny" was the rationalization for expansion into the remainder of the North American continent, making treaties which we had no intention of honoring with peoples we eventually made war on because they objected to said expansion. A rather selfish, self-centered concept.