General Chit Chat No politics or religion in this section!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2007, 21:36   #1
Points: 8,223, Level: 61 Points: 8,223, Level: 61 Points: 8,223, Level: 61
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Mark-up on Firearms?

Does anyone know the normal/average mark-up on firearms? The reason I ask is a local dealer that I have bought a pistol, ammo, and a lot of misc. stuff from recently ripped off one of their customers (In my opinion of course). The gentleman aprox. 65-70 in age bought a Glock 19 from them and picked it up on a thursday. I think he paid around $650 for it. He was a good customer for them, because the store owners knew him by name, like they know mine. It was a pee green and black and he didn't like the color, so he brought it back the next day (friday) when I was there. The gun wasn't fired and the clips hadn't been loaded. They told him that they could only give him $300 for the gun, or they would give him $400 for it if he bought another gun. He purchased another 19 in all black and got the 4 bills for his green one on trade. The next friday I was in there, they had the same green Glock in the "new" side of their gun case for the same price he originally paid for the pistol. I understand they sell to make money, but this bothers me. I have only been back one time since to pick up some ammo they ordered for me (7-30 Waters), and they got me for an extra $9 box when I picked it up. Maybe thats why I mad at them. But I still think what they did to the other guy was not good for business. I was only out $18, but this guy was out a minimum of $250 plus the mark-up on the second pistol. I don't know what their profit was total, but it seems to be double-dipping. Am I wrong to think this? Am I just venting? I do not believe I will going back. Input please!!!
ponyboyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 03:01   #2
Points: 41,807, Level: 100 Points: 41,807, Level: 100 Points: 41,807, Level: 100
Activity: 32.9% Activity: 32.9% Activity: 32.9%
Last Achievements

That sounds about right for the way gun shops and pawn shops will work on used items but you'd think if they were a good customer they would let him get another Glock at no extra $$. You should have said you would go and do business else where.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:31   #3
Points: 8,776, Level: 63 Points: 8,776, Level: 63 Points: 8,776, Level: 63
Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4% Activity: 1.4%
Last Achievements

I agree with tri70.

Additionally, I know many gun dealers screw customers on used trade-ins; but personally, I would not consider that a used gun, nor a trade-in.
sticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:52   #4
Points: 6,260, Level: 51 Points: 6,260, Level: 51 Points: 6,260, Level: 51
Last Achievements

Yeah I would find another gun store... Especially since it was not fired. All they have to do is place it back in the case and could sell it again for full retail. Jerks like that make retail suck!

"The answer to 1984 is 1776" - Alex Jones
93sr20det is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 07:15   #5
Points: 4,882, Level: 44 Points: 4,882, Level: 44 Points: 4,882, Level: 44
Last Achievements

THAT is an exceptional markup! I would find a different location to purchase guns.

Jon
planeflyer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 13:58   #6
Points: 7,904, Level: 59 Points: 7,904, Level: 59 Points: 7,904, Level: 59
Last Achievements

I would report them to the manufacturer, the BBB, and anyone else that would listen. If they bought the gun back as "USED", then it is used, and they have to sell it as such.

Don't just find another store, cause a problem for the A hole that owns this one, and let him know you did it. Then let him know you are never coming back.
Old 11-26-2007, 16:28   #7
Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67 Points: 10,151, Level: 67
Last Achievements

I agree. A BBB complaint would help alert the rest of us.

Given the dwindling number of gun shops, and the competition from the big-boys like Cabela's, BassPro, Gander Mountain, etc., the shop mentioned above is nearly suicidal to have such poor service . . . or more to the point, dishonesty.
Joe Garibaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 18:05   #8
Points: 6,184, Level: 51 Points: 6,184, Level: 51 Points: 6,184, Level: 51
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Last Achievements

A store in Sperryville, VA had an unfired SOCOM for $200 off their original price because a customer had purchased it and returned it a couple of days later. They said they felt that they could no longer sell it as new, even though it hadn't even been test fired. I don't know how much they gave the customer back, but knowing these guys it was probably not much less than what he paid minus $200.
Luv-My-Mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 18:44   #9
Points: 15,462, Level: 80 Points: 15,462, Level: 80 Points: 15,462, Level: 80
Last Achievements

Most businesses have to make 35%-50% minimum mark-up on anything they sell. This normally leaves around 10% after Uncle Sams is finished f@%king you, not to mention liabilty insurance.
As far as the example you stated you would think that a good customer would be treated better than that.
Carbine85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 20:18   #10
Points: 8,223, Level: 61 Points: 8,223, Level: 61 Points: 8,223, Level: 61
Last Achievements

I am glad all of you feel the same way I do about their business practices. A good customer is hard to find, much less keep, in this wonderful economy. If they would of done the same as the dealer did in Lu My Mini's post, and sold it as used and/or discounted, it wouldn't of bothered me as much. I would call the BBB if I knew the guy, but he seemed happy with the deal. I just know I will no longer be one of their customers, because of it. I did wonder if the ATF had rules about selling the gun as "new" two times? Maybe they will burn themselves with their own paperwork. If anybody lives in Florida and is worried about the name of the business, just e-mail me and I will tell you. It would be nice to post their name, but being mostly anonymous it would not feel right.
ponyboyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:03   #11
Points: 4,882, Level: 44 Points: 4,882, Level: 44 Points: 4,882, Level: 44
Last Achievements

I had a small gun shop. It is nearly impossible in my area to mark up guns 35-50%. Where a small shop here makes money is add-ons and services.

People would call up wanting a price on an 870. My reply would be "Go to Walmart." On guns not stocked by box stores, we could beat their prices...but not at a 50% markup.

In my experience, the shops that do big markups on guns are run by real asses.

Jon
planeflyer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 05:36   #12
Federal Firearms Licensed
Points: 13,464, Level: 75 Points: 13,464, Level: 75 Points: 13,464, Level: 75
Last Achievements

There is no doubt...the old fella got ripped off. I could have sold that same gun for easily $100 less, and still made good money. Then the poor guys brings it back, gets ripped for another $250 bucks, plus the terribly high mark up again...those thiefs! They should feel guilty.... With tax on the first purchase he likely paid about $695 out the door. Then they pay him $400 for the old/new gun(which is much less than they paid for it), then charge another $650 for the second new gun plus tax again! I would say he lost about $532! I could have sold him one for $538 including tax...I can do that as I don't have the overhead of having a store, but nonetheless...he got ripped big time. Yes...these guys are terrible for doing it, but this old fella should have been able to do math well enough to know he was getting hosed, and shouldn't have stood for it. I am by no means saying these guys are right, nor the old fella had it coming, but he could have said no. If those guys would have been honest...they would have just traded the damn gun for the one he wanted, and they could have still made the same money as the original sale. The gun that was brought back could have been sold as new in my opinion. All I got to say is...those guys took advantage of the fella.
NRA Life Member
Collecter/shooter/Hunter
Favorites: 10-22/Mini-14/1911
Current Location: Taji, Iraq
marksz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:20   #13
Points: 5,020, Level: 45 Points: 5,020, Level: 45 Points: 5,020, Level: 45
Last Achievements

Yep,thats bad business.Unfortunatly there are a lot of gun stores that are like that.Your better off not shopping there.
nam66-67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2007, 01:12   #14
Moderator Moderator and Super MemberSuper Member
Points: 33,602, Level: 100 Points: 33,602, Level: 100 Points: 33,602, Level: 100
Last Achievements

I can see compensating them for doing another set of paperwork to keep it all straight, but self-making a windfall profit like that would turn me off of a place like that. Fortunately, my preferred retailer is a family-owned shop and employees are all actual shooters, not mall ninjas.
Old 03-14-2012, 19:21   #15
Registered Member
Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2
Last Achievements

Did he not know what the colors scheme of the gun were when he bought it?
salexander2897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 19:25   #16
Registered Member
Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2 Points: 103, Level: 2
Last Achievements

If you realy feel that bad for him and it is legal in your state you should have offered him more than they did! LOL
salexander2897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:07   #17
Points: 5,849, Level: 49 Points: 5,849, Level: 49 Points: 5,849, Level: 49
Last Achievements

I would say they ripped him off big time . Some gun shops in my area try this as well . When I bought my Taurus 608 one shop quoted me 150 higher than the one I actually bought the gun at . I have a great relationship with my local gun shops we have a deal . I find a gun online I want I pay 30 dollars plus shipping and he does my paper work as a result I but 10 or so guns a year from him and no one else . I can even beat walmarts price . To date including reloading supplies I would say I have spent 15k+ in that gun store over the last 8 yrs When I say spent I mean his profit over what I could have paid wholesale .

What I would have done if I where you is first bought the old mans glock from the store at full mark mark and be sure on my papers (yellow form) it was marked new gun . Then go to attorney and tell them your story . Selling anything that can be proven in a court of law is used as new is false advertising and fraud . I would offer to settle with the gun shop for 20k and hope they turned me down .I would have no qualms about fing the gun shop that so willingly fed the old man .
lobo2gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 17:31   #18
Points: 2,156, Level: 28 Points: 2,156, Level: 28 Points: 2,156, Level: 28
Activity: 13.0% Activity: 13.0% Activity: 13.0%
Last Achievements

For what its worth I bought a Remington 700 for 564.00 that was the price of the gun plus shipping at cost to the dealer as well as a 20.00 dollar make some money on the deal fee on a model that had a suggested retail of 950.00-980.00. This was on a gun that was ordered that the dealer knew would be immediately picked up and not sit on the display shelf for a couple of months or longer. That being said you can just about figure that the mark up on a gun barring a promotional sale has to be about double the price the dealer paid. Now a model that is in high demand and limited availability, you can probably expect to pay a premium in addition to that.

While not apples and oranges, I also help a friend set up and establish a salt water fish store and the mark up of our comeptitiors was about 400-600% above cost on live stock. Dry goods such as filters, tanks, equipment was generally just a few pennies on the dollar above cost. Sound unreasonable? Consider that the live stock shipping was a killer even on the sweet deals we got on overnight shipping from FedEx! Consider the losses we had too in shipping. Consider the cost of the electricity to run all of the stores tanks and lights 24/7. Consider the AC that had to be ran to keep the temps reasonable with all those lights running 24/7 in the store. Consider the rest of the over head and employee wages that it cost for us to remain open for buisness. Consider too that sometimes we sold just a fish or coral or two all day and some days we sold a couple dozen. When you consider all the cost it takes to keep the doors open and the shelfs stocked, a 400% mark up doesnt leave you much wiggle room on the balance sheet at the end of the day. It quiet litterally took a good year before we could afford to pay ourselves minimum wage without overtime pay when we worked 12-16 hours a day!

Granted a gun store doesnt have to deal with quiet the number of issues as we delt with but even so, how many guns do you think a mom and pop gun shop sale on a daily basis? Does this justify them taking a gun that was technically "used" and selling it as new and at full price? No. But you can understand why it might happen when the gun is known to have not been fired and just carressed and fondled by the previous owner of a night.
LunaticFringeInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 16:05   #19
Points: 6,862, Level: 54 Points: 6,862, Level: 54 Points: 6,862, Level: 54
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by ponyboyc View Post
Does anyone know the normal/average mark-up on firearms? The reason I ask is a local dealer that I have bought a pistol, ammo, and a lot of misc. stuff from recently ripped off one of their customers (In my opinion of course). The gentleman aprox. 65-70 in age bought a Glock 19 from them and picked it up on a thursday. I think he paid around $650 for it. He was a good customer for them, because the store owners knew him by name, like they know mine. It was a pee green and black and he didn't like the color, so he brought it back the next day (friday) when I was there. The gun wasn't fired and the clips hadn't been loaded. They told him that they could only give him $300 for the gun, or they would give him $400 for it if he bought another gun. He purchased another 19 in all black and got the 4 bills for his green one on trade. The next friday I was in there, they had the same green Glock in the "new" side of their gun case for the same price he originally paid for the pistol. I understand they sell to make money, but this bothers me. I have only been back one time since to pick up some ammo they ordered for me (7-30 Waters), and they got me for an extra $9 box when I picked it up. Maybe thats why I mad at them. But I still think what they did to the other guy was not good for business. I was only out $18, but this guy was out a minimum of $250 plus the mark-up on the second pistol. I don't know what their profit was total, but it seems to be double-dipping. Am I wrong to think this? Am I just venting? I do not believe I will going back. Input please!!!

I am a manager on a gun store, and our new guns are usually marked up 15% over wholesale

BlenderWizard is offline   Reply With Quote