Perfect Union banner

308 rifles too heavy

43K views 114 replies 63 participants last post by  Garandimal 
#1 ·
good for long distance shooting, but this video shows it is not a tactical run and gun option.

the rifles are just too heavy.

Find All Video

#97 · (Edited)
The M14 is a great battle rifle. The M14EBR-RI is a great enhanced battle rifle.

This CQB-16 type SEI in a Blackfeather RS is my light weight general purpose 7.62mm NATO battle rifle.

Now THAT is a Battle Rifle, you can have all the AR's, and AK's. The M14 is far over and above in my opinion. I love the M1 Garand as well, but the pic you posted is truly my favorite weapon choice ever.

I swiped that pic by the way H2O MAN, I hope you don't mind...

#99 ·
I carried an M-14 in Nam. Never ever gave any consideration to switching to the M-16. Mouse guns need not apply. I first ran into an L1A1 when we linked up with an Aussie unit for an Ops. I really liked the rifle...enough that I now own one and have for about 20 years. Great rifle.
I wouldn't mind having another M-14...excuse me, an M1A1, but I really like my Fal.
I do also have 2 M-1 Garands. Great rifles also.
Any of these too heavy? I don't think so and I'm 67. :)

This post has been deleted
#101 ·
M1A in a word.

M1A? Tactical Rifle | Top Semi Automatic Firearms | Buy M1A

It's not much more than a Detachable Magazine Garand in .308 Winchester instead of 30-06. Seems that 7.62 NATO became less expensive to obtain, and non-reloader's can obtain similar or better accuracy with the .308 Win vs the 30-06. At least for the price per round.

#105 ·
Within the next two years I predict James River or someone will be making an investment cast M1 receiver. There are already a couple of companies making new carbine receivers. M1's are drying up, and increasing in price.

Plus people don't like waiting for the CMP, although they have got faster compared to a couple of years ago.

#106 ·
FAL to heavy

I've had a FAL since 1985 and never felt it to heavy. I bought a full auto Belgian FAL in the late 80's. I shot more rounds through the semi than the full auto. I put a bipod on it and it felt like shooting a BAR. Heavy give me a brake. I shoot Skeet for ten years my shotgun was a Remington 3200 tubed that shotgun weighed ten pounds. I at time would shoot the 3200 all day. Sometimes shooting 200 to 300 shells a day. Heavy I don't think so 10 lbs u say is to heavy try a Para 16" would be a excellent rifle that's a little lighter for your weak little hands. I'm 61 now and the weight still doesn't keep me from shooting. I also have a M1A, 3 M1 Garands. I do have a Bushmaster AR15 M4 I enjoy shooting it. I was told at on time in Rhodesia if u could hit a soda can at 200 meters u wouldn't have any trouble with the guerrillas there. Boy I feel long winded.

#107 ·
Just a thought on heavy; the answer I have found is called a sling. Which as far as I am concerned is useful for only 2 purposes:
While hauling the weapon around-yeah one of those super dooper tacticool slings is OK if it carries the weapon. However the concept of the average gunner using it to drop his weapon to waist level so he can whip out his handgun and finish what he couldn't with his rifle is something I find slightly off somewhere. Just hump the rifle with it.........
Secondly, a sling is for hanging your rifle (or SG) at a near ready position while standing a fixed post or position. Like a roadblock or even in the boonies where you should want your primary weapon very close by and instantly usable.
In either case one should be able to handle a reasonably heavy weapon using a sling-whoed a thought it?

#109 ·
It could be worse, you could have the Educated Spoon-feed dictating to the masses, after they have proven to be LOSERS brought Home on thier shields by True Warriors, and then Questioning what it takes to do the Deeds that they never stuck around to accomplish. Sound like anyone you have heard of? (No COSteve Namecalling) :eek:

#112 ·
Run an Gun?? In real live combat?? You need to ask those Iragis and insurgents how well that tactic worked for them. If that is your plan, you better have a lot of really good body armor on.

What you see in the movies and video games will not work when your life is on the line and a hairs breath away from getting snuffed out.

Regardless what you see and hear without experiencing real combat. You Do Not Run -n- Gun! You only fire from cover. When you move forward, you do so under covering fire while the enemy is pinned down.

As for the weight of a weapon and it's ammunition. Trust me, your body will adjust to it and the weight is of no concern. I carried a M60E3 during the war. The M60E3 consisted of the weapon ( 24 pounds loaded with a 200 round belt), tripod ( 40 pounds), T an E device ( 4 pounds), pinion ( 3 pounds) and a spare barrel bag (6 pounds) with a spare barrel, a heat mitten and tools for working on the M60E3. As a M60E3 gunner I was responsible for all the equipment getting to and from the battle lines plus the ammo. Without the equipment, I would be considered ineffective on the battle line. If no one in my fire team helped me carry the gear for my M60 then I would have to carry it all including the ammo. I always had a "A" gunner but that was never a guarantee I would have help. Example: I lost my entire fire team during a hump and I had to carry everything plus 4 cans of ammo while trying to nurse 3 broken arch bones in my right foot. That is only the half of it and I was effective.

Weight is of no issue in combat. Just be sure you have a effective weapon for any condition.

I will stick to my STG 58 .308. A weapon for any condition.

If you think a 5.56 is effective in battle, you need to talk with DSA and ask them why they where overwhelmed with a military contact during the Iraq and Afghanistan war building DSA58's night and day.

#113 ·
The FAL IS heavy, if you are comparing it to the average AR, but you get a much harder hitting rifle with all that extra weight. To me, the FAL is almost as well balanced as a sporting rifle, and it's a rifle I can comfortably shoot all day without bruising my shoulder. There are tradeoffs for everything in life. As out of shape as I am, I wouldn't want to lug one very far, but it is probably my favorite "modern" rifle, and I sure as hell would feel VERY well protected with one!

#114 ·
Fal's are awesome rifles! I've built them for 18 years now. There are many ways to lighten them. I have a DSA short gas system fal with a 16" barrel and an alloy lower that is very nice. Same size as an M-4 and it has the power of the 308. The STG-58 with steel handguards, steel bi-pod and heavy stoll flash hider weighs a ton but removing the bipod and swapping out the flash hider and handguards you can shave a bunch of weight. I also prefer an 18" barrel.
The ergonomics and adjustable gas system make it my favorite battle rifle. The recoil is much lighter than an M-1A.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.