Perfect Union banner

308 rifles too heavy

43K views 114 replies 63 participants last post by  Garandimal 
#1 ·
good for long distance shooting, but this video shows it is not a tactical run and gun option.

the rifles are just too heavy.

Find All Video

#30 ·
Heavy...lol...okay! How about we get off the couch and run with packs and rifles like our fathers, grandfathers, great grandfathers, and fore fathers! Or we can sit on our foo-fee futon couches and cry like little girls cause anything heavier than our lil 9mm polymer pistols are just to dang heavy and hurt our PlayStation wrists and our Xbox hands and make our pansy little muscle-less bodies ache to the point we need pain killers and Prozac to be happy. So lets put down the junk food and grow a pair and man up and get some real man exercise from real work outs the old school way and not use our Kinect? Maybe if we made real men... they would like and carry real guns!!! Then we could go back to kicking butz and taking names and not be PC and afraid to sweat! You never see the DUKE crying or whining. FAl etc and .30 cals are man guns...to heavy please start posting in the ladies section...okay..they are tougher than you...scratch that!!!!
Kev please start a posies-pansy section for the new breed! Buttercup area or huckleberry .30 cal haters or????

#34 ·
Rhodesian Combat Veterans confirm that the FN-FAL was too heavy for LRRP activities. They preferred the AK. That said, it's only a concern if you're fighting a Bush War in Africa. A wonderful rifle, but probably too heavy for non-18 year old bodies to hump for days at a time.

#35 ·
Too heavy? Are you kidding me? The only complaint I got about my FAL is the magazines arent built as heavy or as rugged as the AK-47 Mags! But then again I dont own a X-Box 360 or Playstation III and I spend a lot of time out doors and my idea of a real meal is a 22 ounce porter house and a two fisted baked potato not tofu and salad greens. No I am not a lard azz neither at 5'11" and 190 lbs. Talk about the wussyfication of modern man...

#36 ·
I agree with all of the above, except I'll take my steak and potato with some roasted broccoli, and I do happen to own a PS III

My dream gun is an 18" barreled M1A in a Troy MCS

and I'd carry the eff out of it when I went hunting...
on foot, at 6-8k feet on the side of our volcano.

#40 · (Edited)
God knows I carried 1000rds if linked 7.62x51 ammo, along with a spare barrel and a tripod... Along with my own weapon and ammo... Now that was a load with body armor, water, assault pack etc..
My FAL isn't bad to carry at all.

My Sub 1/4-1/2 MOA FAL

The military are testing caseless ammo now, that should cut down some weight

#42 ·
7.62 is the winner

"Ounces equal pounds, pounds equal pain"
The reason the M16 was designed was to have a more controllable firearm on full auto and to get more rounds with the soldier out in the field. We are talking about 'Nam though.

IIRC the U.S Army did a study during the war and they figured out that it took something along the lines of 15,000 rounds of "spray and pray" 5.56mm to kill one VC :lol:

My grandpa calls the 5.56x45mm a gopher round

If i could afford to shoot the M1A, I would have it in a heart beat. I love the garand action. But the Mini was less than half the price and the ammo prices are about half as well. So for being 18 it was pretty much a no brainer.

Although you better believe the second I can afford to own a M1A and shoot one that it'll be in my closet :D

#45 ·
Yeah, i really want to start re-loading. The start up cost is pretty big though and will take a bit to get everything.

Which is why i'm not shooting my mini a lot and shooting my henry frontier 22 all the time.

I'll get there eventually, but might wait til i'm in and out of college with an engineering degree to get serious about it

#53 ·
Weight an issue for some in a 308? Here's one answer: DPMS AP4. 7 1/4 Lbs. Comes with a Miculek comp. And that comp makes anything sound loud! Light, loud and lovely. What more could you ask for except maybe a M1A SOCOM? One can have their cake and eat it too. As ya get a little older a couple of pounds ain't that fun carrying in the woods. And some times you don't have to give up too much. Went from a 12 to a 20 slug gun and the deer don't know the difference. 556 vs the 308 though, 200 yard chuck gun vs a round that'll take down an elk. There the extra knock down power is worth every ounce.

#54 ·
308 too heavy...? Too powerful...? :wacko:

Nope!
Been using AG-3F1 (HK G3A5 with G3A4 stock) for ages, weighs in at approx 10 lbs clean, 11-12 lbs with optics and B&T rails.
Someone needs to bulk up a bit methinks...;)

Controllable too, if ya know what you're doing.
Check this:

Not me, I prefer semi auto fire (it's a buddy of mine, to be fair, he's just having a bit of fun), but it is quite controllable with a little bit of practice.

#55 · (Edited)
Rifle no, it's the ammo that starts to be. Yes I know real men who have their vests loaded up with twelve 20 rnd mags waiting for the apocalypse. I've found eight to be challenge if I still want to carry my home on my back plus water. Of course a side arm is a necessity and any connoisseur of 308 battle rifles would not be caught dead with a handgun caliber under .45, so the 1911 or double stacked .45 gets worn. 45 ACP weight adds up, especially in twelve rnd HK USP mags. A hundred and eighty rounds can go fast in a firefight while nine 30rnd mags of 7.62x39 or 5.56 makes more sense if you have to hump, run and gun. Now if you get to ride into battle, a FAL with twelve mags makes a lot of sense. Full powered battle rifles can control a lot of ground.

#57 ·
I'm a bigger is better kinda guy to, but lets face it at any giving point one is going to have to cover the other and that is a fact. One man is not going to be able to defend what is his alone with or without multiple platforms.

#58 ·
My son is a big man. He carried a M240 in Afghanistan and won't talk about the Tallybans (miss spelled on purpose) that aren't here anymore. He is not Infantry, he is comm, but he's big and strong so he got the nod. He loved it and used it to his advantage. Much heavier than any a 7.62 weapon, but he managed. Got into a six hour battle with them f'ers, he lived and they got their just reward (whatever that might be).

#59 ·
I preferred the m249 myself and always elected to trade to it if it wasn't issued to me (which was rare) Some people on here don't realize some units will work with you on choices even when your not infantry so carefull you don't get the trolls after you. Anyway I seemed to shoot those better than the m16 or m4 and didn't have to worry about failures as much if at all.

#61 ·
Ditto to that, despite what kiwi thinks perhaps we did do something for the common man on the street either way we served our time and don't disrespect those who didn't so they shouldn't disrespect those that did. Anyway I think most big caliber weapons will remain heavy till they can find some new age material that is light and can handle high pressures//stress

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.