FN-FAL Talk Tech Talk about the Fabrique Nationale FAL and it's variants.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2009, 18:19   #1
Points: 4,860, Level: 44 Points: 4,860, Level: 44 Points: 4,860, Level: 44
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

Question FNAR Heavy Barrel

Spotted a new in box FNAR for sale any plus or minus on this new rifle. Thinking about partial trade of a PolyTech .308 for this rifle, Any input would be appreciated. Thanks Rock Creek
Rock Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 00:13   #2
Points: 2,375, Level: 29 Points: 2,375, Level: 29 Points: 2,375, Level: 29
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I know next to nothing aboug FN-FAL, since I lived in People's Republic of California until recently. But since nobody replied in 4 days, I'll take a swing.

I noticed FNAR flooding stores around recently. Where I scooped the only Mini-14 they had, 2 FNARs were on racks. In other store, zero Mini-14 or 30 and 3 FNAR.

I took a look at was very disappointed with FNAR, for two reasons.

1. The action, as far as I can tell, is based on BAR (the hunting one, not the old BAR). I had a buddy with BAR and it had issues with a tiny little plastic shim breaking somewhere in the gas system in front. I don't know if this is relevant to FNAR, but honestly I don't trust a militarized hunting action. Please let me know if this is ignorance speaking.

2. The FNAR will not accept FAL magazines, either metric or otherwise. Its magazine slides into the well like on AR-15. It looks to me that FNAR magazine will not fit FAL either, although it's possible that it's compatible one-way like AR-18. You can tell them apart by looking at a hole in the side that FNAR magazine has.

Also, it seems to me that FNAR barrels will not take any attachments.

So, my opinion is definitely pass. I am surprised that stores stock it so heavily.

-- Pete
zaitcev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 19:57   #3
Points: 4,860, Level: 44 Points: 4,860, Level: 44 Points: 4,860, Level: 44
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

Agree

After doing some checking, magazines are non-existant Gun broker has them at up tp $135.00 a MAG with 5 people bidding on it! Crazy. Co said they are shipping as fast as they can but, to who? I am passing on this one,too new a model with no extras.
Thanks for input! Rock Creek
Rock Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 21:09   #4
Points: 5,530, Level: 47 Points: 5,530, Level: 47 Points: 5,530, Level: 47
Last Achievements

I have one and although it is a ugly rifle to look at the functionality is flawless. Picked up two extra magazines at time of purchase for $50 per. Very tight grouping out to 300 yards
improved.flv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 13:10   #5
Points: 7,093, Level: 55 Points: 7,093, Level: 55 Points: 7,093, Level: 55
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%
Last Achievements

The FNAR is not really being marketed as a military wweapon. It is intended to compete in the police tactical/precision rifle market. Which it does very well. I bought one about 9 months ago, managed to find some extra mags at only $45 (Only $45?). Anyway, it had been touted as an MOA rifle out of the box, and it was!
I put the right cheekpiece and other variable stuff on, and it was a shooter like right now. With generic military ammo it shot just over MOA (1.2"), and with commercial grade Remington and Federal ammo went to .97", and with Black Hills 168 gr HPBT match it went into .83". I got the heavy barrel so I decided to see if it would open up or start to string the rounds when hot. Loaded up 3 20 round mags and a 10 rounder with Federal Classic 168 grainers and proceeded to heat it up. Firing in 10 round groups, it only opened up to 1.4", with only 2 minutes between firings. I can live with that accuracy any day. No stoppages of any kind to date and I have put 450 rounds through it so far.
Great as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by Jack2427; 04-28-2011 at 11:55.
Jack2427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:30   #6
Registered Member
Points: 1,570, Level: 22 Points: 1,570, Level: 22 Points: 1,570, Level: 22
Last Achievements

The FNAR is an awesome precision rifle. Yes, it is based on the BAR design. FN owns Browning / Winchester now and they are not afraid to use previous design elements. The FNAR is built to a higher quality benchmark. 10,000 rounds military endurance tested.

This is a very high quality piece. No other .308 rifle with provide this level of accurate firepower at this price point. This gun is built for shooting, not blasting.

I've been wanting one since they came out. I saw the 16" barrel version at the SHOT show this year. It would make a great competition gun.
sdcharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:33   #7
Points: 3,961, Level: 40 Points: 3,961, Level: 40 Points: 3,961, Level: 40
Last Achievements

I have a FNAR Light. It is a very nice weapon. It is a little more complex at tearing down to clean, but after you do it once or twice, it is no big deal.

The light barreled gun is light, in my opinion. Down sides are this:
1- Mags are expensive.
2- The barrel is not threaded for a flash hider or brake
3- Field striping requires a screwdriver and an allen wrench
4- Cannot use a rod from the breach to clean, must use a cable system (Otis)
5- Aftermarket does not support it with "stuff"

Having said this, I like mine and I am glad I own it. When I take it to the range people always asks what it is. I have a Leupold Mark 4 on it with FNH steel rings.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-28-2011, 11:50   #8
Points: 7,093, Level: 55 Points: 7,093, Level: 55 Points: 7,093, Level: 55
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%
Last Achievements

Moreair,
You have some good points, but for a civilian/LE rifle a flash supressor or compensator is just not needed, in fact I have removed them from other of my rifles and have improved accuracy by doing so.
Mags are expensive-I have 6 of them but do not anticipate ever needing any more, they are easy to maintain and I cannot imagine a scenario where I will need massive firepower.
Cleaning from the front end is a pain, but has to be done with many rifles, particularly semi autos, I use a bore protector(or like you a pull through in the field).
Taking down is easy, but does require a tool as you mention.
In any case at the price point (under a grand for the Winchester model, just over for an FN) you just cannot find another semi auto that will provide this kind of accuracy out of the box, the only other rifle that I have owned that would give MOA accuracy out of the box is the Savage bolt gun-and it is really a great buy.
When I was a kid, everyone marveled at MOA accuracy and it was the holy grail to achieve, and could only be done with an "worked on" rifle. Now folks take it for granted, and in a semi auto! Who would have believed it in 1960?
As far as aftermarket stuff, who needs it with an accurate rifle that shoots from a 20 round mag into one inch? I cannot think of a single thing that I would add to mine, although I do covet your light barrel for schleping it around in the field. I suppose for a short light barrel you might want a light hanging on it, but there are rails for that already installed.
Jack2427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 21:30   #9
Points: 3,961, Level: 40 Points: 3,961, Level: 40 Points: 3,961, Level: 40
Last Achievements

You are spot on about MOA. You show a friend or coworker a target that is MOA or slightly less and they don't thinks it's good because the target isn't clovered. Who would have thunk it?

I don't have plans for my picatinny rails. However, a trigger job may be in my future.