FN-FAL Talk Tech Talk about the Fabrique Nationale FAL and it's variants.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 13:52   #1
Registered Member
Points: 2,593, Level: 30 Points: 2,593, Level: 30 Points: 2,593, Level: 30
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

DSA FN-FAL Para, assembly assistance

Over the past few years I purchased two DSA FN-FAL's. One was a stainless, the other a standard. Last weekend, my buddy asked me to guide him in purchasing a good all-around .308. I recommended the DSA FN-FAL. He picked up a DSA FN-FAL Para at a local gun show. Shortly thereafter, he telephoned me and said that he opened the breech and "springs fell out". I got with him yesterday and looked at the rifle. Obviously, the Para doesn't use the "rat tail" due to the folding stock. I didn't see the springs installed, so I don't know how they should be reinstalled. I looked on the internet, but could only find information on the standard.

I called DSA and they were pretty "short" in their response to me. I didn't get the overview of what I needed to do with the spring placement. There aren't any gunshops in my immediate area that would have a Para on the shelf for comparision. One of my other options, if they would actually help me, is to call a FN-FAL gunsmith. Rather, I'm hoping I get a response from a FN-FAL gunowner on this forum.

So, my burning question is: can anyone on this forum help me with the reassembly of the recoild spring, either by forum response, direct e-mail contact, or photo? I know its a great rifle, I just don't have the background knowlege or experience to put it back together without some assistance. Thanks, Ragnar.
Ragnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 16:31   #2
Points: 6,173, Level: 51 Points: 6,173, Level: 51 Points: 6,173, Level: 51
Last Achievements

these fokes can help. http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forum...s=&forumid=150

Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
Over the past few years I purchased two DSA FN-FAL's. One was a stainless, the other a standard. Last weekend, my buddy asked me to guide him in purchasing a good all-around .308. I recommended the DSA FN-FAL. He picked up a DSA FN-FAL Para at a local gun show. Shortly thereafter, he telephoned me and said that he opened the breech and "springs fell out". I got with him yesterday and looked at the rifle. Obviously, the Para doesn't use the "rat tail" due to the folding stock. I didn't see the springs installed, so I don't know how they should be reinstalled. I looked on the internet, but could only find information on the standard.

I called DSA and they were pretty "short" in their response to me. I didn't get the overview of what I needed to do with the spring placement. There aren't any gunshops in my immediate area that would have a Para on the shelf for comparision. One of my other options, if they would actually help me, is to call a FN-FAL gunsmith. Rather, I'm hoping I get a response from a FN-FAL gunowner on this forum.

So, my burning question is: can anyone on this forum help me with the reassembly of the recoild spring, either by forum response, direct e-mail contact, or photo? I know its a great rifle, I just don't have the background knowlege or experience to put it back together without some assistance. Thanks, Ragnar.
TNWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 17:13   #3
Registered Member
Last Achievements

DSA FN-FAL Para Recoil Spring Assembly

I got it put back together. Logic and reasoning has a lot to do with keeping the FN-FAL up and running. I figured it out myself, on about, the 10th try. The job is not done until I do a range test. Meanwhile, I just sent off the lower to Bill Springfield to get the trigger lightened. His referral came from this forum. Thanks so much everyone. It doesn't seem like work, when we work together. Ragnar
Old 11-14-2008, 17:16   #4
Last Achievements

Let us know how your trigger turns out. and what the weight is. Whippppppppp

I got it put back together. Logic and reasoning has a lot to do with keeping the FN-FAL up and running. I figured it out myself, on about, the 10th try. The job is not done until I do a range test. Meanwhile, I just sent off the lower to Bill Springfield to get the trigger lightened. His referral came from this forum. Thanks so much everyone. It doesn't seem like work, when we work together. Ragnar
Old 12-22-2008, 16:26   #5
Registered Member
Last Achievements

Trigger work by Bill Springfield

Bill did an outstanding job on the DSA FN-FAL. He brought it down to be managable, but not to light to cause a double-hammer strike. I would estimate the trigger is down to about 6-7lbs. A cleaner break than stock. Fast turn-around with his work. There are lots of gunsmiths out there, but few that know how to tune a FN-FAL. I recommend his work. Ragnar
Old 12-22-2008, 16:46   #6
Last Achievements

I did a little work on mine and got it down to 5 lbs Still got some creep. I am going to work on it some more and see if I can get the creep out.

Bill did an outstanding job on the DSA FN-FAL. He brought it down to be managable, but not to light to cause a double-hammer strike. I would estimate the trigger is down to about 6-7lbs. A cleaner break than stock. Fast turn-around with his work. There are lots of gunsmiths out there, but few that know how to tune a FN-FAL. I recommend his work. Ragnar