FN-FAL Talk Tech Talk about the Fabrique Nationale FAL and it's variants.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2004, 00:43   #1
Grand Poobah of all I see
Points: 15,200, Level: 79 Points: 15,200, Level: 79 Points: 15,200, Level: 79
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Ok, I know this has nothing to do with FAL rifles but I'm the moderator here so a) I get to call the shots and B) There's no PerfectUnion forum that covers this topic!
Yesterday I was at a 100yd outdoor target range and it happened that a gentlemen next to me had a Class III HK-33 rifle chambered for 5.56 mm (man, that thing could bark when shot!). This gun continuously jammed on him no matter how much it was lubed. It seemed as though the ejector on the rifle could not cleanly kick out the spent case from the weapon when discharged and endued up wedging the spent brass in the receiver. This created jams which were incredibly diffucult to clear and left a pile of bent and curmpled cartridges in its wake (even some live rounds!). Given Heckler and Koch's bulletproof reputation (no pun intended) for firearms, I wondered why that HK-33 weapon malfunctioned like this. I mentioned to the shooter that it looked like a problem with the ejector but he politely brushed me off. I wonder if this was because his $11,000 toy repeatedly jammed after five rounds and my $800 Bushmaster wolfed down 120 rounds without a complaint or growl - and AR-15s are supposed to be the unreliable ones! How ironic! Are there any other G-3 / HK-33 owners out there who have had similar problems?

"If news teams are families, why does MSNBC have to be the Lohans?"
-Jon Stewart
AR15_Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 14:44   #2
Points: 10,189, Level: 67 Points: 10,189, Level: 67 Points: 10,189, Level: 67
Last Achievements

never heard of to many problems with factory built H&K's. I know some clone 91's and Cetmes had issues with ejectors. I believe the clones trigger packs were sitting to low not allowing the ejectors to hit the case rim.
Flak 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 18:33   #3
Points: 34,599, Level: 100 Points: 34,599, Level: 100 Points: 34,599, Level: 100
Last Achievements

In my H&K SR9,I a similar problem......It was a worn EXTRACTOR...The extractor would grab the casing while it had pressure on it while it was still in the chamber,but lost it's grip as soon as it left the chamber and left the spent casing sticking out the side of the ejection port!!

<span style=\'color:blue\'><span style=\'font-family:Arial\'>&quot;If guns cause crime,then all of mine are defective.&quot; - Ted Nugent

&quot;When sending your wife down the road with a gas can, it is impolite to ask her to bring back beer.&quot; - Unknown</span></span>
quadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 20:04   #4
Points: 9,921, Level: 66 Points: 9,921, Level: 66 Points: 9,921, Level: 66
Activity: 80.9% Activity: 80.9% Activity: 80.9%
Last Achievements

Since theres no G-3/cetme/HK forum here you can also try www.hk94.com for some more feedback on your question. (And no i'm not advertising)
csapor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 14:32   #5
Points: 7,611, Level: 58 Points: 7,611, Level: 58 Points: 7,611, Level: 58
Last Achievements

Originally posted by quadfan@Mar 29 2004, 06:33 PM
In my H&K SR9,I a similar problem......It was a worn EXTRACTOR...The extractor would grab the casing while it had pressure on it while it was still in the chamber,but lost it's grip as soon as it left the chamber and left the spent casing sticking out the side of the ejection port!!
I'm inclined to agree, Quadfan. The extractor spring may be shot (pun intended). If I were in the shooter's position, I'd get replacement extractor and ejector and their springs. Why take the chance to save a few bucks and maybe ruin a gun worth thousands?
Old 09-22-2004, 20:31   #6
Points: 5,701, Level: 48 Points: 5,701, Level: 48 Points: 5,701, Level: 48
Last Achievements

I got rid of all my H&K91s, PSG1, and Springfield copy. I had that problem with my 91. It turned out that the chamber was tight and even the fluting wouldn't allow proper extraction. I finally ended up cycling the +p rounds (designed for bolt guns). Then I hear horrer stories about extractors and H&Ks that only liked certain rounds. They all destroy brass..
Yeah, you could operate on it and chance ruining a "gun worth thousands of dollars". If it isn't reliable, it isn't worth ****. Why own it?
I agree with AR15_Fanatic, pound for pound, a good Bushmaster M4 is hard to beat.
108DRAGON is offline   Reply With Quote