Perfect Union banner

A Dremal tool is needed

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  gundoc 
#1 ·
I read so many posts on bedding and finishing and general fabrication of firearms, I can't imagine not having some form of rotary tool. I have used the dremals and black and decker has anyone tried others? I like the variable speed models. I'd like to hear comments on others. I seem to wear one out every few years.

#2 ·
Anyone who likes to tinker and has electricity should have a Dremel. I don't even know how old mine is. Old 285 mdl. Had to replace the front bearing thingy once, but that's about it. A friend got me a Lowe's brand kit a few years back with alot of wheels, stones, brushes and such. Works just fine.
Doubt it would outlast the Dremel. If you got the $ and use a rotory alot, the Foredom brand might be a better choice. Pricey though. Not as convenient. World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS

#3 ·
I own several Dremel and B&D RTX rotary tools. the one that gets used almost everyday is my Foredom Tool. They cost plenty, but if you go to Lowe's, Home Depot, or Grizzly Industrial get the Foredom model for woodcarving. It generally runs under $200 and will take all of your dremel burrs as well as bigger ones. I have the woodcarving Foredom, because of price, and i have done nothing to it other than lube the cable 2 or 3 times a year for the last 8 years. I made a swivel hook for hanging it and the foot control is excellent. Gunsmith houses will sell the big one, but for the home shop or if you have better tools for heavy metal work get the cheaper Foredom.

My Dremels, however, are my go to portable tools. My Black and Decker RTX hasn't had an issue in 10 years of (hard) use, and neither have my Dremels but I've only had the current ones for about 5 years.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.