Finishes and Refinishing Parkerizing, bluing, basic refinishing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2010, 20:31   #1
Points: 1,738, Level: 24 Points: 1,738, Level: 24 Points: 1,738, Level: 24
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

savage 111 grey stock paint help.

Ok guys i need you intel on this. I take delivery on a savage 30-06 rifle on wednesday. I also purchased a scope for it, so I spent my budget play money.http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...26tbs%3Disch:1
The stock on the rifle first off feels cheap and looks cheap also. But i did get it on sale.
So, i was thinking on painting it or bedliner spray. I saw the other threads. I want something simple, I dont want to camo the rifle . Just a basic color to make it look a little better and may a little custom.

Any sugestions on color of spray, type, techniques tips., and brands. Ive seen the other post on the krylon spray and they look good. but i havent seen any on the bed liner spray.
Im thinking of a simple black, military green, idk
msand951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 20:38   #2
Points: 1,738, Level: 24 Points: 1,738, Level: 24 Points: 1,738, Level: 24
Last Achievements

And the stock at the end by the barrel is tweaked and touches the barrel. the barrel floats until i get there and if i twist just a little it would be fine. Any tips on straighting it up. It probably got that way from resting on the shelf.
msand951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 21:12   #3
Odd Pachyderm thingy
Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75 Points: 13,533, Level: 75
Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4% Activity: 14.4%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by msand951 View Post
And the stock at the end by the barrel is tweaked and touches the barrel. the barrel floats until i get there and if i twist just a little it would be fine. Any tips on straighting it up. It probably got that way from resting on the shelf.

before I did the camo detail on my "ugly sav" (check the bolt action gallery), the five or so coats of Krylon Matte Olive drab looked clean and simple - add two coats of clear lacquer over the color coats and that let cure for a week - then hit it with a light wet sand to take the sheen off of it. you'll have a nice water resistant finish you can take a damp rag to to take off the dirt after using it in the field.

to prep - wipe the stock down with acetone, to remove any gun oil then hit with a green scotch brite pad to rough up the original varnish - wipe with acetone again - let dry. hang on a cord and paint the sucker - take your time and do plenty of light coats (I did 5 base coats of OD and then hit it with camo details.) let your color coat dry for a few hours then do a lacquer clear coat - to seal in the color and keep the rough matte from holding grime.
it's easy - it'll take you an afternoon.
as for the barrel and action - I'll be doing that in Matte Black next with BBQ spray paint. just got to get info on what I can take apart easy on a savage and what to mask that I can't

good luck

Last edited by Mr. Snuffalupagus; 02-28-2010 at 21:15.
Mr. Snuffalupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 13:41   #4
Points: 6,406, Level: 52 Points: 6,406, Level: 52 Points: 6,406, Level: 52
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

On my old shotgun I prepped as Mr. Snuff... detailed. THen, I got a can of Rust-Oleum in stone finish. It comes in three colors and is kind of a spatter pattern. It came out really well until (here it comes) I decided to put on a clear Miniwax acrylic top coat. The gun went from a dead flat finish to one with a hint of gloss. Leave it alone if you choose to do it.
ironhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 14:13   #5
Points: 6,712, Level: 53 Points: 6,712, Level: 53 Points: 6,712, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Nothing to add as far as finishing: that's been covered well.
Is the forend tip twisted so that it's pressing against the side of the barrel, or flexed up so that it's pressing against the bottom of the barrel? If the latter, I'd shoot it before doing anything: it may like a bit of forend tip pressure.
If it's twisted and pressing against the side of the barrel, you can attempt to heat it in boiling water and twist it straight and hope it stays that way. I've never had any luck doing that, but it supposedly works. I've always just chucked a sanding drum in the Dremel and made some clearance. It's a plastic stock that you're going to paint, so any sanding probably won't even be noticed, as long as you don't go nuts.
SCCogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 14:32   #6
Banned
Last Achievements

You can choose from many paint options including Granite and other faux textured sprays. I have painted 4 stocks this winter and now wonder why I never tried it earlier! The Clear Matte over-coat is a must for a clean durable finish.
lenno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 17:28   #7
Points: 6,406, Level: 52 Points: 6,406, Level: 52 Points: 6,406, Level: 52
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by lenno View Post
<snip>
The Clear Matte over-coat is a must for a clean durable finish.
Hey lenno, what brand is that Clear Matte overcoat and where did you get it? It could be just the ticket to take the "semi" on my shotgun. Is this a laquer product?

Chiz
ironhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 17:54   #8
Banned
Last Achievements

I used Krylon Clear Matte, I bought from local home improvement, I do not know if it is a laquer but if you want to get really 'high tech' you can buy AlumahydeII Clear Matte from Brownells.com for $13.00, it might be a poly-wazit based finish.

Last edited by lenno; 04-02-2010 at 17:57.
lenno is offline   Reply With Quote