Finishes and Refinishing Parkerizing, bluing, basic refinishing.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2004, 17:06   #1
Points: 28,860, Level: 99 Points: 28,860, Level: 99 Points: 28,860, Level: 99
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I better get this down somewhere before I forget again. I plan on coating three of my rigs with Gun-Kote one of these days and I always wonder how I'm going to bake that barrel. I painted a few parts this evening from an old BC folder for a Mossberg 12g. It had been in the bottom of a box of parts and got the rust worm on it so I worked it down and cleaned it up. Since I plan on putting it back on the old shotgun I painted it with some flat black epoxy like the barrel. I had an old cardboard box handy and took some tywire and made a paint box and hung the two parts so I could paint and turn them. Got three good coats on and touchable dry. Then it thundered ................ I snapped and went for the hairdryer, my wifes, I don't have any to dry. That worked like a charm. While I was drying them I remembered I was an electrician once up-on-a-time.

If you take a simple porcelian lamp socket, like for a closet w/a pull chain. Put a 200w. lamp in it. Now that is the heating element. Use a wooden box, or a metal box, or what ever will stand the temp. Light in the bottom, mount or wire in a dimmer switch of the proper watt rating, and you're ready to be gun baker. Stick a good thermomometer in the side and use the dimmer to raise or lower the temp.

We used to use ovens like this at work to warm lunch. Although I don't remember ever useing one with a dimmer, it's just because no one thought of it. You can expolde a can of soup in one of these real quick so take care until you get used to cooking with light. We would always line them with insulation but that wouldn't be necessary unless you plan on baking a lot.
Old 08-03-2004, 20:56   #2
Points: 14,154, Level: 77 Points: 14,154, Level: 77 Points: 14,154, Level: 77
Last Achievements

Nice tip Rutro!
"In life, we can never escape the rain...the rain must fall." -Myron Carter
adaman04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:15   #3
Points: 10,767, Level: 68 Points: 10,767, Level: 68 Points: 10,767, Level: 68
Last Achievements

And here I was going to use an old oven we got from a remodel job. It runs on 220, and we have yet to run the conduit to the grage so I have yet to ge it going. This is a very simple tip for those among up with out a curing oven.
Thanks for passing this one along, now i'm gonna order up some OD green duracoat of something!
Old 03-28-2005, 06:57   #4
Last Achievements

Hey Boogeyman it's almost to easy isn't it. Don't need no 220v. wireing. If a 200w. bulb won't get hot enough try a heat lamp. I can't wait to get back up to Lake Fork and my work bench. I got a aircompresser this winter that will push an airbrush and three project guns. If you ever get down Tx. way look us up and we'll chase some bass on the Fork.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:54   #5
Points: 10,767, Level: 68 Points: 10,767, Level: 68 Points: 10,767, Level: 68
Last Achievements

Hey that sounds good! I'm sure bass up north and bass your way can't be that different It's funny I was checking for your tip on appliance paint and found your reply, well better late than never
Old 08-06-2008, 11:08   #6
Registered Member
Points: 2,784, Level: 32 Points: 2,784, Level: 32 Points: 2,784, Level: 32
Last Achievements

By using heat lamps and fiberglass insulation, do you think it would get to temps around 400 degrees or should I go with oven heating elements? Thinking of doing powder coating baking. Thanks
LX Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:21   #7
Last Achievements

Hey LX Kid sorry for the late reply, I don't check in on this board as often as I should. I never have got around to building mine yet, got off on a wild tangent and started refurbing a flats boat for the coast.
No reason why you couldn't get 400* if necessary. You would however have to either get oven wire or some with Hightemp insulation. Also construction of the box would have to be of materials that will withstand the desired temps. You could probably place heat lamp sockets outside the enclosure with holes for the lamp to be inside, so that you would screw the lamp in from inside the box. If the lamps were in the bottom pointing up at the parts to be heated you could get by with normal wireing and by placeing insulation around the lamp where it went through the case minimum heat loss would occure. hope that helps and was not to little to late............
Old 08-30-2008, 08:33   #8
hostilenativelibertarian.
Points: 22,898, Level: 93 Points: 22,898, Level: 93 Points: 22,898, Level: 93
Activity: 91.5% Activity: 91.5% Activity: 91.5%
Last Achievements

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!
Hi Rutro-Once apon a while ago i did some hvac work while twisting wires for a lovin/living,and I found that the hvac contractors do alot of tear out of older installations,or upgrades-many times they tear out and throw away metal ductwork-round,square,rectangle.Up north here they just junk it or wait till they have a good pile(read tons)for scrap metal.Most places I have worked will give it away just for the asking-just less crap for them to haul back.This ducting is heavy enough for a bake oven, light enouigh to carry,can take the hi temps,and many times already insulated either inside or out.Just add your lights or elements,control items-like a remote bulb thermostat,etc.Now you've got a bake oven!

...Just take the shot...
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:41   #9
hostilenativelibertarian.
Points: 22,898, Level: 93 Points: 22,898, Level: 93 Points: 22,898, Level: 93
Activity: 91.5% Activity: 91.5% Activity: 91.5%
Last Achievements

Location: Oragun-still clinging to my religion,guns,and sour mash!
Hey Rutro did ya make it thru this last little "blow" okay?I think that your cardboard gun oven might have got wet.Give back a yell!

...Just take the shot...
Don't bother me-I'm reloading!
magnomark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 13:12   #10
Points: 5,040, Level: 45 Points: 5,040, Level: 45 Points: 5,040, Level: 45
Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6% Activity: 6.6%
Last Achievements

I bet that in addition to insulating the "oven", if you lined it with that silver muffler tape, it would probably reflect the heat around the insides quite bit, raising the temp and making the temp more consistent throughout.
moonie42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 14:48   #11
Points: 17,716, Level: 84 Points: 17,716, Level: 84 Points: 17,716, Level: 84
Activity: 57.3% Activity: 57.3% Activity: 57.3%
Last Achievements

I have an old metal school locker comeing that I'm going to insulate with foil-backed fiberglass as best I can and install heat element and thermometer. I'll try to post foto when i have it done. building sand/bead/abrasive blast cabinet now.
Marlin 45 carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 05:41   #12
Last Achievements

Hey Mark!!! I've seen enough of the wet stuff now to last for at least a couple of years.
The old HVAC duct sounds like the stuff. I'd forgot all about that, been on the retired list entirely to long.

Marlin 45 carbine, that old school locker sounds like a deal now. Should be perfect for long guns and the door already on hinges just makes set up that much quicker.

I'm finaly seeing the light at the end of the tunnel on my flats boat project. I'll probably get the Skid-No-More coating on the deck today. That will let me put the console back in and THAT will turn us loose to finaly swap the Merc from the old bass boat to the Kenner.
To top everything off we are trying to get this annual RV space broke down and cleaned up so we can MOVE everthing to my Dads place. He's by himself now since the Mom passed away and with the big "80" coming up it's time he had a little adult supervision. Plus if we put all our tools in one pile it'll make a fairly nice shop to play around in!!!