Curios and Relics C&R, collecting vintage firearms, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59   #1
Points: 762, Level: 14 Points: 762, Level: 14 Points: 762, Level: 14
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

1926 nagant revolver questions

Ok, So a buddy of mine has a 1926 nagant revolver. I went with him to a gun show about a year ago with the intent of him finding a nagant revolver. We poked around and I found one on a table for $150. It came with 2 cylinders one in .32 acp the other in 7.62 nagant.

After looking it over I told him the barrel is pretty pitted and he should look else where for one with a better barrel. But he had to have it. So I said I guess it's fair. Seeing as it came with the extra cylinder and it was his dollar.

So after trying to find 7.62 nagant ammo, then shooting it at the range he desided to get a new barrel for it. He ordered one from buymilsurp.com and it came promptly. him not being a gunsmith or I. He tried to put the new barrel on.

Seems the thing just wont screw in all the way. I think it may be in there and crossed threaded into the frame. Need less to say the front sight is now canted to the right and he also chewed up the dove tail so now you can't even put the front sight in. In short it is a wreck, but fixable.

My question would be:

Where is a good place to find a new barrel that would fit the 1926 model? Seeing as the one he bought didn't.

Where can you get 7.62 nagant that isn't $40 a box!?

Should I make him an offer and take it off his hands?

What would be a good offer?
BigBadMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 21:16   #2
Points: 2,594, Level: 30 Points: 2,594, Level: 30 Points: 2,594, Level: 30
Activity: 9.0% Activity: 9.0% Activity: 9.0%
Last Achievements

Why would you want someone else's mess? They sit and collect dust at Gander Mountain. I would pass.
gltucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:02   #3
Points: 860, Level: 15 Points: 860, Level: 15 Points: 860, Level: 15
Activity: 7.2% Activity: 7.2% Activity: 7.2%
Last Achievements

I would just keep it for parts or put the old barrel back on. The thing about Nagant's you really need to load your own ammo for them. Factory ammo does not shoot all that well in them. I too have a 32 acp cylinder but hand loaded 32 acp ammo shoots better in the Nagant all so. I use Lee Nagant dies and reform 32-20 Starline brass to fit the Nagant. My favorite load is 3.5gr of Trail Boss powder and .312 93gr SWC. The pitted barrel will probably shoot .312 cast bullets fine.
51colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 17:41   #4
anti-capitalist
Points: 63,503, Level: 100 Points: 63,503, Level: 100 Points: 63,503, Level: 100
Activity: 99.5% Activity: 99.5% Activity: 99.5%
Last Achievements

This
Russian 7.62x38R FMJ 14rd box
Old 07-10-2013, 11:46   #5
Points: 4,249, Level: 41 Points: 4,249, Level: 41 Points: 4,249, Level: 41
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by BigBadMonster View Post
Ok, So a buddy of mine has a 1926 nagant revolver. I went with him to a gun show about a year ago with the intent of him finding a nagant revolver. We poked around and I found one on a table for $150. It came with 2 cylinders one in .32 acp the other in 7.62 nagant.

After looking it over I told him the barrel is pretty pitted and he should look else where for one with a better barrel. But he had to have it. So I said I guess it's fair. Seeing as it came with the extra cylinder and it was his dollar.

So after trying to find 7.62 nagant ammo, then shooting it at the range he desided to get a new barrel for it. He ordered one from buymilsurp.com and it came promptly. him not being a gunsmith or I. He tried to put the new barrel on.

Seems the thing just wont screw in all the way. I think it may be in there and crossed threaded into the frame. Need less to say the front sight is now canted to the right and he also chewed up the dove tail so now you can't even put the front sight in. In short it is a wreck, but fixable.

My question would be:

Where is a good place to find a new barrel that would fit the 1926 model? Seeing as the one he bought didn't.

Where can you get 7.62 nagant that isn't $40 a box!?

Should I make him an offer and take it off his hands?

What would be a good offer?
7.62 Nagant Russian Surplus 108gr FMJ, 14rd Box.
five a box of 14

The 32 ACP cylinder is worth 50 by itself. Take the gun to a smith to fit the barrel properly. Or, like another poster suggested, put the old one back on.
proudamerican831 is offline   Reply With Quote