Curios and Relics C&R, collecting vintage firearms, etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2010, 22:54   #1
Points: 9,241, Level: 64 Points: 9,241, Level: 64 Points: 9,241, Level: 64
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

M91 strippers

Anybody out there have expert knowlege on the Mosin-Nagant strippers? I've seen three basic types, all made of spring steel or brass. Some have plain sides at the entry points and others have some sort of "fingers" cut into the sides at those points. The only ones I've bought and used are the plain-sided units made of steel (stainless, I think).

I have yet to figure a way to get them to feed reliably and strip-off into the mag without getting rims jammed behind each-other. (The cartridge rim has a bevel at the rear designed to alleviate this problem by allowing for less resistance of the jammed rims if they strip-off wrong).

I use the Enfield strippers in my Brit rifles and they can also be a bear at times, but not like the M-N's. The only others I use are all Mauser-types (M-93,96 & 98 / 7.7 Jap Arisaka or U.S. Springfield clips) or the SKS/AK types and they're pretty slick to use due to their rimless cartridges.

There are ways to stagger the rounds in the Enfields but that doesn't work in every case for me. I don't think that method works with the M-N system either.

Anyway, if there's an M-N pro out there who knows, advice would be appreciated.
hoplophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:32   #2
Points: 6,712, Level: 53 Points: 6,712, Level: 53 Points: 6,712, Level: 53
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

I'm no pro, but I have looked fairly diligently for the answer to exactly this question. Those who can "do it" make it look easy, and tens of millions of Russian soldiers managed to routinely clip-load their rifles for a century, so it is certainly possible. I'm just not in that club yet.

Unlike the "3 up, 2 down" rim stacking that I've seen recommended for the .303 clips, all the instructions for the M-N clips have indicated the rims must overlap in order, just as they will lie in the magazine.
Those who use the clips successfully have also recommended you lift up on the bullet of the top round while pushing the stack down just in front of the clip. It's sort of a "levering" motion that appears to work by slightly spreading the front of the clip.

Personally, all my attempts at clip-loading any of my M-Ns have been fairly unsuccessful: I can get the cartridges in the magazine (usually correctly), but only rarely without damaging myself, and never yet faster than single-loading them.
But I'm stubborn. I have dozens and dozens of the stupid clips, and I refuse to accept defeat.
SCCogswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 16:33   #3
Last Achievements

Thanks for the input Cogs. It looks like there may not be any "experts" on this one, judging from the lack of posts. I haven't tried the "lift" technique on them but it's worth a try. There's some new ammo on the way that should be here in a week. I'll see how those clips work.
Old 06-14-2010, 17:59   #4
Points: 11,699, Level: 71 Points: 11,699, Level: 71 Points: 11,699, Level: 71
Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0% Activity: 3.0%
Last Achievements

I'm reaching back in to the dark and fuzzy gray matter, but dosn't the MN magazine have a device that prevents rim locking in it?
IOW it holds the 2nd rim down slightly so that the top rim can't interlock with it?
Tailgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 18:08   #5
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Tailgunner View Post
I'm reaching back in to the dark and fuzzy gray matter, but dosn't the MN magazine have a device that prevents rim locking in it?
IOW it holds the 2nd rim down slightly so that the top rim can't interlock with it?
If that's true then it's great news. I'll check further into it. Even if it does have that item, I still managed to foul it up!
Old 06-14-2010, 19:31   #6
Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Tailgunner View Post

you are correct theres a a little leg that sticks out into the magazine near the top on the left side its holds the the other rounds down out of the way when the bolt is peeling the next round out. They are under adjustable spring tension if its out of adjustment it wont work and you run into problems.
Old 06-18-2010, 18:58   #7
Last Achievements

The case of Polish milsurp ammo on strippers I ordered from AIM just arrived. It looks good, and I'll be trying them out tomorrow to see if these strippers are better than the ones I originally bought.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:58   #8
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by hoplophile View Post
The case of Polish milsurp ammo on strippers I ordered from AIM just arrived. It looks good, and I'll be trying them out tomorrow to see if these strippers are better than the ones I originally bought.

thats good ammo about the best on the market right now real clean where ever it was stored it was stored right the stuff looks brand new though its 60 years old. The strippers that come with it are typical spring steel russian design stripper clips. whatever problem you had before will likely continue with these. I'm about 90% sure your problem is the magazine disruptor being out of tune its a common problem with these rifles.
Old 06-19-2010, 11:12   #9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by HighDesertWolf View Post
thats good ammo about the best on the market right now real clean where ever it was stored it was stored right the stuff looks brand new though its 60 years old. The strippers that come with it are typical spring steel russian design stripper clips. whatever problem you had before will likely continue with these. I'm about 90% sure your problem is the magazine disruptor being out of tune its a common problem with these rifles.
Youre right............it is good ammo. The spams open with a pair of pliers and the strippers work slick as snot in my M.N.'s. I'm sure the problem lies with the other type of strippers I bought, which don't have the groove at the back where the cartridge rim slides down through. Guess I won't be using those anymore. Live and learn.
Old 06-19-2010, 19:57   #10
Last Achievements

Youre right............it is good ammo. The spams open with a pair of pliers and the strippers work slick as snot in my M.N.'s. I'm sure the problem lies with the other type of strippers I bought, which don't have the groove at the back where the cartridge rim slides down through. Guess I won't be using those anymore. Live and learn.

your other strippers dont have the groove for the rims? yea that would likely cause a stacking problem never seen that type before what country of origin are they??
Old 06-19-2010, 22:04   #11
Last Achievements

your other strippers dont have the groove for the rims? yea that would likely cause a stacking problem never seen that type before what country of origin are they??
Not sure. They're bright steel colored and I thought they were stainless, but the place I got them from (S.G., I think) didn't stipulate origin. They're hard to push down into the slot in the receiver and when they do finally go, the stripper's bent at the inserted end into the shape of the receiver slot. That's where the rounds are binding, most likely.

I wish I had a means of taking and posting decent pics. I'm far from a tech geek and haven't been able to do it, even with the help of others. Since it's not a real urgent priority for us, I've accepted the lack of that capability.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:42   #12
Last Achievements

Not sure. They're bright steel colored and I thought they were stainless, but the place I got them from (S.G., I think) didn't stipulate origin. They're hard to push down into the slot in the receiver and when they do finally go, the stripper's bent at the inserted end into the shape of the receiver slot. That's where the rounds are binding, most likely.

I wish I had a means of taking and posting decent pics. I'm far from a tech geek and haven't been able to do it, even with the help of others. Since it's not a real urgent priority for us, I've accepted the lack of that capability.

I was thinking about it they could be chinese ive heard the chinese strippers are junk.
Old 06-20-2010, 18:51   #13
Last Achievements

I was thinking about it they could be chinese ive heard the chinese strippers are junk.
All the ones I see online have the same configuration as the Polish ones I just got (with the grooves along the sides where the rims slide) but some also have an appendage cut into both sides of the inserting ends which appear to function as a flexible retainer for the rounds or something. These other P.O.S.'s I mentioned using are next to worthless in my book.
Old 06-20-2010, 21:17   #14
Last Achievements

I have some Bulgarian strippers they are just like the polish strippers only with a polished steel finish. when I first got them they were really tight and were a bit hard to use but I loaded up a few and let them sit for several months they seem to have loosened enough they are quite easy to use now.