LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2011, 14:59   #1
Administrator
Points: 24,041, Level: 94 Points: 24,041, Level: 94 Points: 24,041, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

Review of the Coleman instant start grill

Last christmas I added a Coleman instant start grill to my wishlist, and sure enough someone got it for me. The reason why I picked the grill was because of the built in griddle. That way I did not have to worry about cleaning any pots and pans, just wipe the griddle down and the stove was cleaned up. But that is not the way things worked out.

Features:

*Grill stove with two 10,000 BTU burners and PerfectFlow pressure control system
*1 nickel-chrome stove grate and 1 removable die-cast aluminum grill grate
*Regulates pressure of propane to provide consistent cooking performance
*Windblock side panels double as side trays when folded down
*Matchless InstaStart technology
*Grease management system with removable tray
*5-year warranty
*Dimensions: 23.5 x 15 x 6 inches

Using the Stove:

The stove has 2 burners and runs off of a 1 pound bottle of propane. On the propane adapter there is no on or off valve, and no adjustment, just connect the bottle of propane and you're ready to go.

The Coleman instant start gill has a wind shield on each side of the burners that hold out and snap into place.

To light the stove, slightly turn on the burners and then press the light button located in the front of the stove. It took 1 - 2 presses of the light button to ignite the grills.

Standing at the stove, the griddle is to the right and the stove top is to the left. The stove is far enough from the wind shield to fit a small pan on the burner.

The griddle measures about 12 inches by 10 3/4 inches, which means you can cook a lot of hot dogs on it.

As the meat cooks, the grease drains into a grease trap located under the stove. The bad thing, the grease trap is rather small. Cooking a few pieces of sausage on the griddle almost filled up the grease trap.

After cooking on the griddle I noticed that amounts of grease had become trapped on the risers of the griddle.

Coleman PerfectFlow Insta Start Grill Stove Final thoughts:

In my opinion, I think a hot plate would have been better then a griddle, mainly due to the clean up.

Cooking on the grill was a breeze. Some of these types of gas grills have 2 adjustments - wide open or off. While cooking eggs and making toast, the grill was turned down so that it did not burn what was being cooked.

I will start looking for a hotplate to go on my Coleman instant start gill, because I do not like how the griddle is working out. If I can not find a hot plate to fit the griddle, I will probably use a skittle to cook with.

If I were going to buy this stove again, I would probably just buy a unit with 2 burners, instead of a burner and a griddle.

A buddy of mine has a perfectflow stove with 2 burners, instead of a griddle. While on a camping trip a few years ago we had the chance to try it out.

Attached Thumbnails
Review of the Coleman instant start grill-coleman-instant-grill-8252011404.jpg  

Last edited by Kevin; 08-26-2011 at 09:11.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote