LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 14:30   #1
Administrator
Points: 25,613, Level: 96 Points: 25,613, Level: 96 Points: 25,613, Level: 96
Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2% Activity: 1.2%
Last Achievements

My 3 favorite Maxpedition Backpacks

I would like to tell you about my 3 favorite Maxpedition Backpacks, and what makes them unique.

Maxpedition Falcon-II Pygmy – which is my favorite dayhike / warm weather overnight bag. Even though the Falcon-II Pygmy has capacity of only 1,400 cubic inches, for you ultralight backpackers out there that should be plenty of room.

Some of the stuff that I took on my last hiking trip with my son and nephew:

Hammock
Rain poncho
Poncho liner
Survival Knife
Mutli-tool
Topo map
GPS
Compass
2 – 32 ounce water bottles
Water filter
Cord
Spare socks

Maxpedition Vulture-II – Lets say that the weather is going to be a little cooler and I need a sleeping bag, or I just need to carry a few more supplies – then its time to break out the Maxpedition Vulture-II. Even though some people consider the Vulture-II a 3 day pack, I see it more like a 2 day pack. You could probably get 3 days out of it, so I’am not saying its “not” a 3 day pack. In my personal gear line up, the Vulture-II is a 2 day pack.

Some of the things I like about the Maxpedition Vulture-II, its big enough to carry what I need, but not “too” big. Once again, having a pack of limited size makes the hiker/camper decide what is important and what should be left behind. Some of the nice features of the pack – shoulder straps with plenty of padding, place for a water bladder, webbing for attaching extra pouches and compression straps only to name a few.

While testing the Maxpedition Vulture-II, I was able to fit enough gear in it for a for a nice overnight trip:

Hammock
Wenzel Starlite one person tent
Poncho liner
Tri-pod stool
MRE
Water filter
GPS
Compass
Topo map

I did not do this during the test – but a sleeping pad could be strapped to the bottom of the pack.

Dimensions:
Main Compartment: 20.5″(H) x 16″(W) x 7.5″(D)
Front Pouch: 15.5″(H) x 12″(W) x 2.75″(D)
Slip Pocket: 15.5″(H) x 12″(W)
Capacity: 2810 cu. in. / 46 liters
Weight: 3 lbs , 8 oz
Hydration: Up to 100+ oz Bladder

Noatak Gearslinger – which has quickly turned into my favorite grab and go pack. If the Noatak was worn on the hip instead of that back, it might even be considered a man purse. But its not worn on the hip and its not a man purse – its a gearslinger. Meaning, its worn on the back, one strap is released, and the pack is twisted around in front of the wearer.

One thing that I noticed about the Maxpedition Noatak, its easy to put on and take off with cold weather clothing. During on of my test, it was about 38 degrees outside, and I was wearing a heavy coat. Instead of having to wiggle both of my arms through the shoulder straps of a conventional backpack, I put one arm through the single strap of the Noatak, and then snapped the second strap into place. Its also possible to drop the Noatak with only 1 hand. So if your out hunting, and have your firearm in one hand, just reach up with the other hand, unbuckle the single chest strap and drop the pack.

My standard Noatak load includes:
MRE
Water filter
32 ounce water bottle
Multi-tool
Flashlight
GPS
Compass
Topo map

Dimensions:
Main: 11” x 7” x 4” with numerous internal pockets
Front: 7” x 7” x 2” with internal keyper and sleeve pockets