Perfect Union banner

My first time shooting a Mosin

2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  hornet41 
#1 ·
Got to take out my mosin for the first time the other day. It was a blast, literally

I even stretched it out to 300 yards on a 12 inch plate and connect 3 out of 5. Sure was fun, you can even see the trace of the bullets at 300 yards. Going to try and get 5/5 next time! Link to video: First Time Shooting 1942 Mosin Nagant - YouTube

#5 ·
That was a GREAT video, what it did to that cinder block was VERY impressive!!!

Thanks for the link, I watched that video and of course wanted one myself and if he is right and there are still some out there I may look into adding one to my collection!

I also like all the history behind the gun, I wouldn't want to be on the wrong end of that !

I'm off to see what else I can learn about their back ground! VERY COOL guns you guys own, and in 7.62 how can ya go wrong?
Don't hate me for keeping you busy for days...Hahaha.
Be prepared for information overload.

7.62x54r.net

#6 ·
Oh....and fair warning......those things multiply.:)

Also, as far as them being worn out......most of what you find for sale, have been re-arsenaled. As in, the Russians fixed them up to ready to go back into war standards, greased them up and stuck them back into a warehouse, until they were sold to some exporter, to be sold to you.LOL

#8 ·
You wrote:
Don't hate me for keeping you busy for days...Hahaha.
Be prepared for information overload.

Reply:
Cool, I'm going to be on the look out, Thanks!
Click on that link, and then you have about a gazillion pages of info that you can get to by clicking on more links. That site 7.62x54r.net is pretty much the Holy Grail of Mosin info.

#9 · (Edited)
I have two, a 1938 and a 1942. Both are Tulas and a "hoot to shoot"! They show up mostly at small gun shops, Gun Shows and sometimes at Cabelas on the used gun racks. From all that I have seen the most common wear is at the muzzle. The Ruskys used the steel cleaning rods and attachments in the cleaning kits and weren't too carefull about using the muzzle protector. My '42 has rifleing worn to almost nothing for about the last 3/16" so of the muzzle so once and a while it throws a flyer out there but usually I can get a 5" grouping @100 yrds if I do my job. The '38 is a whole other story. Off of sand bags at 100 yrds it will put them all in a 2 3/4" group all day long. Of course the bore on the '38 is just about perfect.
It will be hard to find a true "numbers matching" but it is possible. I would say if you find one that the numbers are electro-pincled look at it real hard as they are usually not as good a shooter as the ones that have all stamped numbers.
If you don't have shoulders made of steel a good recoil pad or one of the slip on recoil boots is a good investment.
Hope you find one and enjoy it or them as much as I do.

#10 ·
I have three.
1929 Izhevsk 91/30 Hex reciever #'s matching, good bore and shooter
1953 Hungarian M-44 #'s matching. Outstanding rifle in very good shape.
91/59 Carbine built from a 1942 Izhevsk 91/30 buttplate #'s dont match. Dark bore but good rifling.

They are addictive and fun. Everybody loves to see the fireball when you shoot these old guns. Im sure I will end up with more. I would like to have a Remington made Mosin and a Fin made mosin to add to the collection. Right now even the mosin's are too high. I will wait until the price gouging goes down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.