LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2012, 11:59   #1
Registered Member
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%

Arrow .375 Weatherby???

I have been round & round with Blaser (Steel receiver ProHunter Safari model in .416Rem), Mauser M 03, Sako "Bear" series, CZ 550/ w/AHR upgrades, Kimber, Win Model 70 Safari, and various "custom" builders...
...,375 H&H, .416 & .458 calibers,
HOWEVER, I keep coming back to this idea of a Weatherby Mark V Custom Shop, custom build in .375 WEATHERBY Magnum, for the same reasons the .375 H&H is touted as the perfect "all 'rounder" for DG, certainly here in N.A., and beyond, as well as having a reasonably good range & trajectory for hunting.
The appeal, to me for the Weatherby "version" or imprivement on the H&H is the flatter shooting, better range & harder hitting option when using the .375 WBY round, but STILL being able to shoot the less costly H&H and "fire forming" the brass in the process.
Seems like a "win-win" all the way around and may be the most perfect chambering for Big Game there is?

OK, so my QUESTION is this ...WHY has Weatherby made it sooooo hard to get this rifle?
They advertise it on models where it is available or chambered....with NO caveats, no "special order" or anything like that...just one of the "caliber choices".
So why are there NONE being built and sent out to retailers?
Call up Weatherby and they do not have any?
My closest local retailer (one of 3 ), Bass Pro Shop, wants payment in full up front to order one and then they say Weatherby "claims" a 6-8 month wait???
That's a bit nuts...they want to sell rifles???...then MAKE some!

I dunno, maybe that is typical and I am just frustrated that I cannot just order one quickly or better yet, go get one at a dealer, ANY dealer, ANYWHERE?
Anyone have any ideas?
bghunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 16:19   #2
Points: 11,472, Level: 70 Points: 11,472, Level: 70 Points: 11,472, Level: 70
Activity: 5.3% Activity: 5.3% Activity: 5.3%
Last Achievements

Considering the experience I had with Weatherby, and their "sucks to be you" attitude , on a simple warranty repair of their defective product (and it wasn't just me that found the defect), be very glad they don't offer what you want "off the shelf".

You have a couple of much better options:
A: buy a rifle you like (as long as it doesn't have the Weatherby name on it) in 375 H&H and have a gunsmith run a Wound-a-beast reamer into the chamber.
B: have a full on custom built (be prepared to wait 2-3 years for it to be completed, as all the good smiths are that far behind) in the chamber of your choice
Tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 17:41   #3
Registered Member
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2% Activity: 2.2%

Arrow

Originally Posted by Tailgunner View Post
Considering the experience I had with Weatherby, and their "sucks to be you" attitude , on a simple warranty repair of their defective product (and it wasn't just me that found the defect), be very glad they don't offer what you want "off the shelf".

You have a couple of much better options:
A: buy a rifle you like (as long as it doesn't have the Weatherby name on it) in 375 H&H and have a gunsmith run a Wound-a-beast reamer into the chamber.
B: have a full on custom built (be prepared to wait 2-3 years for it to be completed, as all the good smiths are that far behind) in the chamber of your choice
I have not had that experience with them...sorry you did.
I have always liked their rifles, they have a lot going for them, especially like that wobble free thick bolt they use, unlike Winchesters, Remington & Mausers.

Very expensive, I hear , at least from AHR, to ream a .H&H to WBY?

Last edited by bghunter; 08-16-2012 at 18:03.
bghunter is offline   Reply With Quote