LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 00:17   #1
Points: 802, Level: 15 Points: 802, Level: 15 Points: 802, Level: 15
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%
Last Achievements

1942 Remington 1903 Unfired

I know this is probably going to get me a whole lot of different opinions, but I'm looking for just a rough idea of the issue. I've already sent this passage in to Remington for their Historians to work on it, and just figured I would lend it to you folks to for any help you may have or direction for me to go.

First off, Although I've only posted on here like 5 times, I'm not a noob, I sometimes will call a cajun a coonas and a say yonder instead of over there but its my way and not mere stupidity on my part. So you will see floorplate instead of trigger guard, or magazine housing instead of magazine floor plate. Exact names sometimes escape me. Feel free to help but not to jump in with a bunch of poo if you don't know at least as much as I, I too have Joe Poyer's book, and every other publication on 1903's, and 1903 A3's A4's and its variants and have handled quite a few fine shooters. What I'm lookin for is the experts view, experiences on a rifle that was produced 70 years into the past.. here is my letter to Remington, with a few cuts

To Whom it May Concern,

I've recently stumbled upon a Remington 1903 Produced in July of 1942. Serial Number 3,183,XXX. There are just a few remarks I have to make about this rifle, and a couple of questions to add at the end for your History buffs or anyone interested in this sort of thing.
I purchased Rile Number 3,183,XXX thru my Father in law, and he obtained it from a friends private collection. Although I paid 500 dollars for the rifle, I know I got one heck of a deal and just am not concerned with its value. Just its story. I have done all the research and looked for several hours each day and found that this Action/Barrel are indeed Correct and Numbered. Someone at your depot made vary special care in the final stages of its production. Here are some key element of assembly

1- The bolt has the last three of the SN etched on the underside of the body in between the Left Lug and the Extractor. Underside of bolt handle is so Dated 42 R like the Barrel, RA, Bomb, 7-42. All parts that are meant to be stamped are stamped R, except for the milled lower barrel band which is blued and holds a U on the right side which directs the soldier to install it correctly in the Upward position. The rifle has been Proofed marked on the underside of the barrel.This barreled action is Correct

With the rifle in hand, I cleaned it completely of manufacturing grease and applied grease and oil upon reassembly. All parts are correctly stamped R with various inspector stamps and the P on the underside of the barrel. And the machining, milling to all parts is period correct for 1942 and the Remington 1903 Combat Rifle. This rifle was never used in drill or issued for combat. It has no barrel wear as the lines from the manufacturing process were still there before I happily broke the barrel in using hand loads to the correct military specs. This rifle shoots very well, and can hover closely to 1.5MOA. On a side comment, this rifle is a completely Milled, Forged 1903 thats correctly marked and was unfired other than the proof test. WOW!!!

2- The Stocks, both upper and lower are of fine quality....But hold no markings. It is said many times that "C" stocks were made all through the years and that National Match rifles were returned at the end of each year for refinishing and re barreling and occasionally the stocks left the factory without a single marking. What this stock's appearance reminds me of is a Factory worker found this C stock and REfinished the outside of it, He then proceeded to bed the Action. This C stocks action is bedded, There are Two Brass Pillars installed, both front and rear actions screws have pillars installed in the stock. Also the color of this bedding is the color of American/Japanese Axle Grease, its kind of Purple, with a hint of Maroon. The entire lower forend of the stock is bedded in a mixture of Gray, Yellowish Bedding and was later relieved just enough to allow pressure at the barrels muzzle. The stock uses Action Screws instead of pins and the screws are steaked. Also the butt has a 1920''s era buttplate with no markings but is milled and fitted correctly. Under the buttplate there are two channels drilled with no steel sleeve instead of one channel with one steel sleeve...?? The Magazine floor plate is milled and of the removable type with no pinning or G marks, instead it only holds one marking in between the trigger cut out and the magazine cartridge housing, the number "7" in a TypeWriter Style number, All other markings are of the Sans Sariff type.

My final guess is this......

In July of 1942, one of your employees was working this rifle, matched the bolt and smoothed it, Cleaned and polished the trigger Sear and firing pin connection.(The Sear surfaces are mirror smooth) Bedded the action, without cleaning up his work (there is overflow around the action and floor plate, as the entire action, trigger guard have been bedded together and pillar bedded. Also He never Fitted the floor plate, It would not stay closed, I finished this for him.... Before he could finish the customizations on this 1903 and clean the bedding, fit the floor plate; The foremen came in and informed the line workers of the changes in production and everyone kicked into high gear and began assembling at the fastest acceptable pace. This worker Sat this rifle to the side instead of finishing it, Eventually he was moved, or replaced and this rifle was pushed into storage throughout the war till it was forgotten or sold to collectors afterward.

Now , I know some folks will cringe at the idea of some young 27 year old who takes an unfired relic out shooting, but I cannot place value on the experience of shooting such a fine firearm that was constructed with such great care and then forgotten. This rifle was constructed at the very end of the Great American Craftsman's run. It was forgotten until now, and I've now become the owner of such a fine piece of American History. I would like to apologize in advance bc I've broken the barrel in, Shot it at great distances and have fallen in love with its crisp trigger and its smooth bolt. I know it was 70 years ago but thanks folks for the fine rifle!!

Main Questions, Whats the deal with the bedding of the C stock and the forward pillar? Why was it not marked at all, and is it possible that I have a refinished 1920's National Match stock that was installed on a standard issue 1903 Rifle? Was this rifle a Civilian Marksmanship Order that was pushed aside during the 1903 A3 Change? What do you folks think of all this, have I come across clear? any questions of me?

Sincerely,
Kyle.........The rest is all personal information. I've deleted for privacy.

That was what I sent in to Remington and await their reply. Thanks in advance for any and all help you fine folks give and may God bless you all and keep you strong for tomorrow.

Happy Shooting,
Kyle
americanstrat98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:16   #2
Points: 4,617, Level: 43 Points: 4,617, Level: 43 Points: 4,617, Level: 43
Activity: 83.6% Activity: 83.6% Activity: 83.6%
Last Achievements

This is only a guess too but sounds like the rifle has benefited from some garage tinkering after it was mustered out. All that bedding effort wasn't a result of a production line worker and likely not a military armorer. Etching of the last three digits of the serial number is non-standard and irregular. They weren't interested in producing match rifles out of '42 vintage Remington '03s, neither at the time the barreled action was produced nor immediately after the war. The imaginative story of the factory worker could be correct or the rifle could have been brought to earth by aliens.

What are the "lines from the manufacturing process" and how are they an indicator that the barrel remained unfired?

I collected and shot '03 Springfields for some years. They are fantastic rifles and will typically shoot very tight groups off the bench rest if fed decent ammunition, even without customization.

Always buy the gun and not the story.
bmcgilvray is offline   Reply With Quote