Perfect Union banner
15K views 55 replies 26 participants last post by  ront1 
#1 ·
#35 · (Edited)
I just installed a Nikon BDC3-9X scope on a friends Scout using the stock rings. I had to remove the scout rail, which you will have to do to mount any scope with an objective bell larger than about 36MM.

Also you will have to remove the rear sight as just about no scope will clear that unless it is mounted scout style.

I bought an XS Scout Rail for my gun because it has a peep sight inlaid into the rear of the rail that is low enough to clear any scope I install. You would use either Weaver style rings or a Picatinny style mount. I am building my own mount because I can.

A 3-9 or 4-12 is about as far as I would go with scope power on this gun and will easily get you to 800 yards.

Once you run the ballistics chart for your particular load and bullet, you will be able to hit a man sized target at 600 yards with boring regularity. The entire key is knowing the bullets trajectory and the MOA at all the different distances.

Example: I shoot long range Silhouette with my gun every month. My standard load of 45 gr of IMR 4895 yields 2600fps from my 16" barrel. After plugging in those varibles along with the bullets BC, I got a chart out of the Ballistics website that gives me the bullet drop at the different distances. Our target distances are 200M/220yds, 300M/330yds, 385M/420yds and 500M/550 yds.

With the gun sighted dead on at 200 yds the holdovers that I adjust into the scope for each distance are as follows. 200M/1/2MOA,,, 300M 4.0 MOA,,, 385M 7.5 MOA and 500M 12.75 MOA which is exactly what the chart told me to do. The bullets follow the chart like they are on a string.

12.75 MOA at 500M equals 70.125" of holdover from a 200 yard zero. When done shooting the scope turret is adjusted back to zero, and we start all over next time.

The one thing that your new scope has got to do be able to do is have the adjustments repeat everytime. If they don't, you will just chase the zero and never hit anything, or be stuck with one zero and have to hold over yourself which is less precise. The BDC scopes have little holdover dots on the verticle reticle hair. However these are holdovers for a specific factory load. They won't be as close with another load because the bullets trajectory will obviously be different.

Buy something that costs a least $300. The Nikons and Bushnells in that range are excellent optics. The Leupold VX-R I got was $600 and it is a fine scope, but the main reason I got it was because I know the turrets will repeat AND it is an illuminated scope. The basic version of that scope is $479. And with some aftermarket turret knobs would work just fine, and you still would get the firedot reticle.

I spent the extra money on this gun because I plan on keeping it until I can't shoot anymore. I will also get my money out of the scope as I shoot the gun frequently, I would not have spent that kind of money if this gun was only used for hunting once a year.

Randy.

#40 ·
I paid $735 for mine. You aren't going to get very much, for much less. Dealer cost is $652.

Even the Mossberg bolt gun with AR mags is in the $750 range, and they are not even close to the Rugers in quality, fit or finish.

I have looked at several with the intention of using it for 3 gun comps if things get tough in CA, but I don't really need it yet. They do seem to work well and we had one guy show up at a 3 gun shoot with one and it ran great.

Be interesting to see if Ruger does do a .223 version, but I have been told by one of the high ups it ain't gonna happen soon simply because they are selling all of the .308's that they can make.

Randy

#41 ·
I used to own a Gunsite Scout. I recently traded it for another rifle. I really liked the Ruger but I couldn't figure out what to do with it. A short barreled .308 with decent sights, a detachable magazine and a gorgeous laminated stock is just up my alley. I had no intention of putting optics on it and really didn't need or want the rail or the flash suppressor. To complicate matters I have a SA M1A Scout that does everything the Ruger could do and more. The Ruger was a very cool gun but I don't regret letting it go. As others have pointed out it just didn't fit any where in my arsenal. I still highly recommend it but I probably wouldn't buy another one.

OTOH, I really want the compact version of the American rifle in .308. Except for iron sights it has everything I want in a handy .308 bolt carbine and nothing I don't want. It's also less than half the price of the Gunsite Scout.

#42 ·
Even in Col. Cooper's day, the scout rifle didn't really catch on, interesting, yes, but, what does one do with it?. An intermediate range carbine in bolt action isn't really selling like hotcakes.

I personally don't think much of Ruger rifles in general, but, a scout rifle?...zzzzzzzzzz

#44 ·
Crockett: Ruger has sold nearly 100,000 of these guns since they were introduced three years ago.

Mine is #159 of the first run. They sold over 30,000 the first year.

They are selling like hot cakes! AS more people shoot gun they start to see what it is good for, and that is, pretty much anything you want to do with it.

Randy

#46 ·
I've been "on the fence"..... reference buying one, but I simply cant think of anything that the GSR can do, that my M1A-A1 and M14S "Tanker" can not do better now.

The difference in weight between the 2 rifles is not worth loosing a semi automatic action for my intended use for it as a general purpose rifle.(GPR)

Note: My definition of a GPR = A rifle utilized for hunting, security, "pest control", and within the ability of the caliber to accomplish concerning range, terminal effects, and "cover reduction". In short... I like to shoot a lot, so the difference in weight is an advantage in this respect, plus I have no problems toting it all over creation, as they are not heavy to me at least. (Personal preference)

I prefer the M1 designed iron sights, as they are easily adjustable, which is important to me in a GPR...... as different loads/bullet weights can be "fine tuned" when it comes to zero and holdover for various distances. (One of the reasons as to why I chose it over my DSA FAL and HK91 yrs ago)

Although the costs for a Ruger GSR is a tad bit on the high side for what it is IMO, it costs considerably less than a comparable 16in bbl M1A/M14 such as the SAI Socom.

I'm already deep in M14 magazines, maint equipment/tools/supplies, and spare parts, so I might end up going after a Socom instead.

Don't get me wrong. I think the GSR has a lot going for it. Personal experience and preference leads me to the M1A/M14 as the better GPR....rifle for all around use.

If I could only have one bolt action rifle, then the Ruger GSR would be tempting.

#47 ·
Frag: There is only "two things" wrong with an M1A or Socom. The weight and the cost.

Those are 10lb + guns unloaded, and they cost 2-3 x what a GSR does.

If you are big boy then the weight won't be much of an issue. And if you really can afford to shoot, then the initial cost of the gun shouldn't matter that much either.

It's like buying a car that is a higher trim level than you originally intended. You pay more and you get more.

But the GSR also has some advantages that the MIA doesn't have. It's lighter for one. Mine is a sub 1" gun so it is more accurate than a lot of autoloaders. It's magazine fed so you can reload it quickly or have different styles of ammunition for different purposes, and the bolt gun will run a lot wider range of ammo than the auto will run, and cycle reliably.

Since it is the same caliber there is no advantage to either gun over the other in that department. In fact the only real advantage the MIA has over the GSR is the Rate of fire.

I shot next to a guy at a Front sight Rifle class who shot a MIA NM for the entire 4 days. The gun weighed 13+ lbs. I was shooting my 6lb Kel-Tec. Who do you think was more tired at the end of the class? I would have been just as tired as I was if I had shot my GSR in the class with a Red dot on it at 8.5 lbs.

There were 4 Socoms in the class + 2 MIA's. They all did well.

Since they are semi autos the expense of shooting one is slightly higher than it will be with a bolt gun simply because you can't run a bolt gun as fast as you can run a semi auto.

If you're already set up for MIA's then there is very little reason for you to get into a GSR.. If you had neither then the GSR would be more appealing to you since it is less expensive and a traditional Bolt Action Rifle which is going to be with us for along time.

Really it is kind of an Apples to Oranges kind of comparison.

Randy

#53 ·
I just signed up at AR15 and posted on that thread. However I can't get a pic up to save my arse. Hoping someone will step up and help .

Randy

#55 ·
Since I don't do Photobucket and I can't make AR15.com site work (the place is a nightmare to navigate) I'll just post some pics of my gun here for you all to view.

Randy

Attachments

#56 ·
Very nice Randy!!

I got a pretty good deal on my Ruger Scout from a friend that I work with. He had it for several months and just never did anything with it. When I bought it from him, it had been kept in a rifle sock and never shot. He sold it to me for $625. It was brand new. I think I stole it:). I love the rifle!! I have mounted a Redfield Revolution 3x9x40 on it. It is my first rifle of this type. I have a 10/22 and a S&W M&P AR. The Ruger seems to be quality through and through.

Ron

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.