LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41   #1
Points: 559, Level: 11 Points: 559, Level: 11 Points: 559, Level: 11
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Rem 700 in .270 long range capable?

Hey guys,

Ive got a remington 700 in 270 winchester that i picked up a few years ago to do some hunting with. but seeing that i do more range shooting than i do hunting i would like a long range gun that could get out to 600+ (ive only ever shot mine to 300) to add some excitment to my weekends. But before i bed the gun in a nice stock get new glass, etc... i want to know if that caliber is able to perform to my needs. I know the logical way to go would be to pick up a .308, but if i can save the money of a new rifle i could get some more ammo and nicer accerssories. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Zach
zwaller156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 14:35   #2
Administrator
Points: 24,041, Level: 94 Points: 24,041, Level: 94 Points: 24,041, Level: 94
Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5% Activity: 1.5%
Last Achievements

I posted your question to facebook, maybe someone will post their comments here.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 14:55   #3
Points: 11,450, Level: 70 Points: 11,450, Level: 70 Points: 11,450, Level: 70
Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5% Activity: 4.5%
Last Achievements

It will easily reach out 600yd (or even 1000yd) for casual shooting, once you find the load it prefers.
The real drawback to the 270 (from a target shooters point of view) is the dearth of .277 match grade bullets
Tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 21:47   #4
Points: 1,766, Level: 24 Points: 1,766, Level: 24 Points: 1,766, Level: 24
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by zwaller156 View Post
Hey guys,

Ive got a remington 700 in 270 winchester that i picked up a few years ago to do some hunting with. but seeing that i do more range shooting than i do hunting i would like a long range gun that could get out to 600+ (ive only ever shot mine to 300) to add some excitment to my weekends. But before i bed the gun in a nice stock get new glass, etc... i want to know if that caliber is able to perform to my needs. I know the logical way to go would be to pick up a .308, but if i can save the money of a new rifle i could get some more ammo and nicer accerssories. Any feedback would be great.

Thanks,
Zach
A 270 is a 30-06 necked down.

I did some calculating and using a 150gr SST at 2800fps, you would be able to get 1200 yards before the bullet drops below supersonic, (where it loses accuracy.)

It would be a good long range target rifle.

...nuff said.
Win_94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 21:49   #5
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
I posted your question to facebook, maybe someone will post their comments here.
Is it that you don't have much faith in the membership here?

...nuff said.

Last edited by Win_94; 02-08-2012 at 21:50. Reason: added 'you'
Old 02-09-2012, 07:27   #6
Last Achievements

thanks guys, well now that i know the caliber can perform i guess ill beef up the rifle... ive got a budget of about 2grand, which i know could easily be used up on a scope but i dont want to spend more than that on this bolt because i have other toys to attend to. I was thinking a new stock (not sure which brand to look at), wyatts detach mag well, and maybe a break (but its a xcr model with a contour barrel so im not sure where to find a break for it either)... ive also got a leupold v-III 4.5x14x40 on it now. so maybe new glass too. Let me know your thoughts.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34   #7
Last Achievements

thanks guys, well now that i know the caliber can perform i guess ill beef up the rifle... ive got a budget of about 2grand, which i know could easily be used up on a scope but i dont want to spend more than that on this bolt because i have other toys to attend to. I was thinking a new stock (not sure which brand to look at), wyatts detach mag well, and maybe a break (but its a xcr model with a contour barrel so im not sure where to find a break for it either)... ive also got a leupold v-III 4.5x14x40 on it now. so maybe new glass too. Let me know your thoughts.
I've never owned a Leupold but the magnification on yours sounds perfect for your application. If you like the clarity and it works well, that one should work wonderfully..

I wouldn't get a break for it unless the recoil gets to hurting after a time of shooting.
If you do get a new stock, get one with a nice butt-stock pad. My 30-06 has one that is so squishy, I don't feel any discomfort whatsoever. Then test the recoil.

If you wanted the muzzle break for quicker target acquisition, go for it!

...nuff said.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:07   #8
Last Achievements

yea im unsure about the scope because ive never shot it out past 300, and haha yea i dont need a break i just liked the look of them. O and do you have any suggestions on stock manufactures? ive seen a few out there but some have outrageous prices for a molded stock. As im not looking for an aluminum tac/mod pistol grip stock that would justify $500-700, just something that has more weight and a hefty'er feel than the original.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:26   #9
Last Achievements

yea im unsure about the scope because ive never shot it out past 300, and haha yea i dont need a break i just liked the look of them. O and do you have any suggestions on stock manufactures? ive seen a few out there but some have outrageous prices for a molded stock. As im not looking for an aluminum tac/mod pistol grip stock that would justify $500-700, just something that has more weight and a hefty'er feel than the original.
The scope I use is only 3-9 power with bad glass and it works very well to 600 yards.

I don't know much about aftermarket stocks. If something is wrong with mine I simply correct the issue. Someone will be along with some ideas.

...nuff said.
Old 02-09-2012, 14:01   #10
Last Achievements

Try the rifle out first, than do any upgrades as/if needed.
Stocks, McMillian period, end of discussion. Be prepared to wait, if you custom order one fitted (not just roughed out) to your rifle, the one I just ordered is some 4 months out.
Don't cheap out on your bases/rings, IE Weaver doesn't cut it. You may want to look into a 20MOA base (tips the front of the scope down, adding 20MOA of "up" adjustment to your scope).
Bottom line is this, take what you have, and go have fun with it.
If you find you really want to get serious about long range, you had better be prepared to spend some cash. Custom action (by the time you fix a Rem 700 action, you will have spent the same money) Barrel, stock, mounts, optics, die &chamber reamers, custom dies and the biggie, a top end gun$mith to put it all together. Than there's the reloading components & equipment that you'll need/want, load development, etc. IOW getting serious can cost you some big bucks.
Old 02-10-2012, 07:34   #11
Last Achievements

Yea ive heard great things about the mcmillans, post some pics when you get yours in. And ive always wanted to get into long range and knew it took some coin, so i guess the adventure starts here. ill post some pics of my 700 as it comes along... and hopefully some range pics to go with it. Thanks for the advice also
Old 04-12-2012, 00:32   #12
Registered Member
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
Last Achievements

Ok, a 2k budget really gives you a lot of options. Here are some recommendations.

Scopes:
Vortex Viper
Bushnell Elite 4500 or 6500 tactical series
USO ST10
Leupold VX-R Patrol Rifle
Burris Tactical
These are all good scopes either under or at $1k. Good glass, reticles for range estimating, and most can be had in 1/10 mil adjustments. Nothing wrong with MOA, but it helps to have the adjustments match the reticle.

Stocks: From budget priced to "wife will divorce me"
Choate- US, UV and Tactical. (Tactical is really good bang for the buck)
Bell and Carlson Medalist (Carbelite has no bedding block, and is a bit flimsy)
Stockade (I have the Prarie Dog/ Tactical)
HS Precision (they have a few flavors)
Mcmillian ( cant go wrong with any of them.)
Mcree (completely modular)
Accuracy International
Kinetic Research Group
There are a few others, but these are the popular ones.
A good 20MOA 1 pc scope rail from any number of makers. Seekins, Badger, EGW, Weaver, Leupold, Nightforce all make quality pieces. Same goes for scope rings. Good 4 screw caps, I resommend steel, but the high end aluminum rings are GTG too.

You actually got some good choices in bullets. Hornady and Sierra are my personal favorites. A 135 SMK will work good. Berger is another good one. The 130 and 150gr VLDs have earned their place in the LR world too.The Hornady GMX and Interbonds fly good.

You can try to tune the factory trigger, I have seen some articles, and it saves some money. You can also look into an aftermarket one as well.

If you put the rifle together, using quality (not necessarily the most expensive) components, you can set yourself up for making some good handloads. There are a ton of other items to look into, not mandatory, but can aid in making your LR adventure. Bipods, bottom metal, slings, they all have uses that can aid in shooting. Just be sure that when the rifle is assembled, have it pillar bedded so that there is no stress on the action, and free float the barrel. Happy shooting.
Desertrat1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 05:03   #13
Points: 4,249, Level: 41 Points: 4,249, Level: 41 Points: 4,249, Level: 41
Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0% Activity: 4.0%
Last Achievements

Desertrat knows what's up. Stick with the SMK or Berger bullets, get some decent glass (mounted correctly) and something other than a factor sporter profile barrel.

And BTW the USO-St10 is the most scope you can buy for the money. Even at only 10x, the quality of the glass will more than make up for a lack of power at 600-800 yards. I'm ordering one at some point this year- 1/10th mill Erek, Ergo, probably m40 for windage and GAP mil reticle.
SevenMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:51   #14
Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6 Points: 341, Level: 6
Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3% Activity: 33.3%
Last Achievements

Natural to want to throw money at a project - makes you feel it will somehow be better but there is not much need to do that. You could simply improve the trigger and bed the current stock and be good to go- really.

The 270 is in all likelihood a better choice than the 308 for Long distance. You can do wonders even with inexpensive bullets like the Hornaday SST or simple Sierra for example.

Recommend NOT getting a muzzle break. They make rifles uncomfortably loud and pressure blast those sitting near you. Makes shooting much less enjoyable.

The scope you have is quite good but if you would like to improve the list posted earlier is great. I like Burris and dig the looks and functionality Ballistic Plex reticle. I have a preference for Meopta though. They are extremely strong, bright, and have perfect click adjustments. Oh- if really going long range you might consider a 30mm over a 1" scope. Just because it will offer a little more adjustability.

The McMillan is no doubt the ultimate stock but a Bell and Carlson Medalist is mighty fine at its price point and certainly a step up. I saw dramatic improvement over he slender factory A-bolt Stalker stock. l. The B and C are stronger, not as thin, most noticeably in the wrist, but what it lacked in svelte it more than made up for in consistency, recoil and bolt movement. I was rather shocked at the improvements and the rifle is so much more....fun now! They are great stocks if you don't want to fork over the money and the lengthy waiting period for a McMillan.

Keep us posted.
kenjs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:17   #15
Kahl
Points: 817, Level: 15 Points: 817, Level: 15 Points: 817, Level: 15
Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1% Activity: 1.1%
Last Achievements

Take this for whatever it seems worth to you. There are tons of options available.

This is what I going to do to my Rem 700 in 30-06, it should roughly transfer. . . leave it as an ADL and add:

Burris XTR Low rings, EGW 20moa base
Sightron Slll (Sightron SIII 6-24x50mm Riflescope SIIISS624X50LRMDCM)
Choate Tactical Stock or Bell & Carlson (and convert to BDL)
Pac-Nor Barrel
Timney Trigger
Harris Bi-Pod

In the end I decided I just do not shoot well enough to worry about LR shooting. So, I kept my low budget 700 just as it came. Works quite well.
JGibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 13:38   #16
Points: 3,986, Level: 40 Points: 3,986, Level: 40 Points: 3,986, Level: 40
Last Achievements

Hey guys,

Thanks,
Zach
What do you need to shoot that range. I have killed most of the game I HUNT with in 300 yards or less most of the time. 600 is not hunting!!It is spot shooting!!
AABEAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 15:46   #17
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by AABEAR View Post
What do you need to shoot that range. I have killed most of the game I HUNT with in 300 yards or less most of the time. 600 is not hunting!!It is spot shooting!!
That's what my father said about shooting past 100yd (beyond that was a stunt), and what my grandfather said about shooting past 50yd (anyone that shoots at game over 50yd away is a fool). Over the last 100 deer I've shot, the average range is about 250yd, with the longest at 400 (as far as you can see in that field, before the woods start)

IOW your argument goes back to when Ugg attached his sharp stone to the end of a stick, VS keeping it in his hand. And your should have heard the grunting when Org actually THREW his sharp stick at game.
Old 06-13-2012, 19:12   #18
Last Achievements

Yea ive heard great things about the mcmillans, post some pics when you get yours in. And ive always wanted to get into long range and knew it took some coin, so i guess the adventure starts here. ill post some pics of my 700 as it comes along... and hopefully some range pics to go with it. Thanks for the advice also
It got back from McMillans a week ago, now all my smith has to do is finish bed and deliver (end of the June it should be in my hands )

McMillan "Baker Special" stock, with pillers, adj comb and butt pad
Lilja #8 contour, 30" long, 3 groove, 1-12 twist barrel
Harrell brake
CZ-550 Safari Mag action/trigger (stock trigger at 8oz set, 3lb unset)
20 MOA rail (CZ website)
Burris rings
Burris optics (IIRC 6-18x50 with Mil-dots)
Chambered for the 300 RUM Improved 35^ (300 Tomahawk)
Reamer and GO-gauge by Dave Manson (Manson Reamers)
Bushing type sizing die blank from Newlon Precision (I seat with a RCBS Competition die)

IOW your basic Mauser flavored long range hunting rig