Perfect Union banner

Hey Ruger, how about a scout rifle in .223

8K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  gorenut 
#1 ·
A practical, and shared caliber rifle in the GSR model. Now that bolt gun would be fun (and economical) to shoot.

#2 ·
I was thinkin of doin a shared caliber pack. Ive always been a fan of the ol'cowboys matchin thier pistols an lever actions. Kinda off a little havin a battle rifle matched to a bolt but I realllllly like the .204 specs I saw a mini online and some AR platforms chambered in it. havin grains of powder in the 20s you can load TONS with a little more range and comparable poop of the .223.... But brass availabilty kinda puts a damper on it.

In short I like this topic lets hear more!

#4 ·
i have the scout rifle and it is awesome. i have an fal also to complete my bolt/auto combo in 308 and a savage axis in 223 to go along with my mini for my 223 bolt/auto combo. so i guess ruger need to make a mini in 308 and a scout in 223 to make me happy.

the axis is a great bang for the buck. 300 with a scope and it shoots sub moa with my hand loads. i can put 4 rounds in a penny at 100 yards.

#7 ·
I would also like to see one in 7.62x39 that is capable of digesting steel cased, in a synthetic stock to cut down on costs. Make it so they take mini-14 and mini-30 mags, respectively.

They could also do away with the "ruger rings" in favor of an industry standard like weaver mounts, and updating the rear sight to something that adjusts with clicks.

You know, same old complaints from the mini-14.

#10 ·
Yeah, my take on the "scout rifle" is an SKS with a rear mounted see-under scope and tech sights... I'm sure that would send groupthinking gun forum automatons into a frenzy! :lol:

I think the main points Cooper was going for were compactness, reliability, and accuracy in an all-purpose carbine. After that, it's just personal preference.

"A general purpose rifle is a conveniently portable, individually operated firearm, capable of striking a single decisive blow, on a live target of up to 200 kilos in weight, at any distance at which the operator can shoot with the precision necessary to place a shot in a vital area of the target." -Col. Jeff Cooper

#11 ·
still gotta say i love my gunsite scout. it is my favorite rifle. it is lite and handles well. i am not a preacher of the scout concept i just like the look and feel of the rifle. some will argue that it is not a true scout for this reason or that reason. i really dont care i just love it for what it is even if they called it the zombie apocalypse tin can slayer jack rabbit elephant gun.

#12 ·
still gotta say i love my gunsite scout. It is my favorite rifle. It is lite and handles well. I am not a preacher of the scout concept i just like the look and feel of the rifle. Some will argue that it is not a true scout for this reason or that reason. I really dont care i just love it for what it is even if they called it the zombie apocalypse tin can slayer jack rabbit elephant gun.
^^^ +1

#24 ·
I was just thinking the same thing today. I know bolt-action purists hate it and hunters prefer it to be flush..but I'm usually always drawn to rifles with traditional rifle stock with a detachable box mag that sticks out (same reason why I love M1A and Mini).

I handled the American Rifle today and I'm seriously tempted to get one. Its light, cheap, and feels like its high quality. My friend who was working at the store told me he was shooting sub-MOA right out of the box with his own loads.

How about something like this, but with a shorter barrel and iron sights?

O.F. Mossberg & Sons, Inc. - Firearms, Shotguns, Rifles, Accessories, and Precision Machining

Read my mind. I actually contacted Mossberg the other day to ask about if they plan on making variations of it. They told me they've already made an 18" barrel model and they'll send me a catalog.. but I'd love one with a synthetic stock too.

#19 ·
.223 mags. for a Ruger Scout rifle

AI (accuracy International) already makes an excellent 10 round polymer magazine in .223 and it fits perfectly in the GSR. Below is the AI mag. in .223, on the right, next to the Ruger Polymer mag. in .308 (left) All they (Ruger) would have to do is use their 77 action in .223 and throw a rechambered barrel on it.

#22 ·
ruger jumped into a heavily saturated ar market as well as the 1911 market so why not do a m1a clone (308 mini). alot of us have the m1a on our short list but the price keeps us from taking the plunge. if they could do it for 1k they would have a winner.

i did use the tell the ceo and let him know that i had to spend $1500 for a product from another manufacturer because thay did not offer a 308 semi auto rifle. maybe if more people told them they about the sales loss instead of their dream gun wants it might help.

#27 ·
CZ is definitely nice.. and I've both read and seen great reviews.. but again, I'd love it if they offered it with a synthetic stock. Also, the one downside to the CZ 527 is that if you want to mount a scope onto it, you need high rings to have enough clearance for the bolt unless you make some modifications to it.

I know Savage also has a Scout rifle too with forward scope mount, but its not available in 223., only 7.62x32 and 308

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.