LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 19:00   #1
Points: 1,765, Level: 24 Points: 1,765, Level: 24 Points: 1,765, Level: 24
Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0% Activity: 1.0%
Last Achievements

Opinions on what y'all think I should do

I have been doing a lot of gun swapping/buying here lately (at least for me), and I can't seem to get that "I'm satasfied" feeling. I always said that once a gun was in my possesion that it would never leave it, up until about three months ago. After the first one went, I found out it wasn't so bad. That being said, there are some guns that will never leave my possesion.

ANYWAY, I think the next one up to go (maybe) is the first rifle I ever bought, a Model 700BDL Remington chambered in .30-06. I bought it just for deer hunting. Well, now I don't hunt and it just sits in the cabinet. It was bought new in '96 and has only had about 30-35 rounds through it. I figured since I never use it, it would be a good one to get rid of to support/buy me a new one.

I was thinking of talking to Savage about putting together a 10 FCP to my own configuration. I was wanting the action out of the 10 FCP w/ a 24" heavy barrel, AccuTrigger and a 10rd detachable mag like in the 10FCP-SR model. I do not want any Savage stock though. I would have to go with the Hogue overmolded stock. All of this in a .308 chamber.

What do y'all think? Would I be stupid to get rid of a 700 to get the Savage?
Lead Slanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 19:32   #2
Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47 Points: 5,539, Level: 47
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

.308 is much more affordable, so why not?

I'm a bit of a minimalist when it comes to owning anything, I sell all safe queens once I realize I don't shoot them anymore.

I hear good things about the savages, but if you want to do a detachable mag bolt action, you might want to check out the howa's. They just started producing detachable mag kits, $40 for the kit, $40 for a 10 or 5 rd mag. Not sure how that compares to the savage option, but compared to the AICS mag kits it is literally 1/4 the cost, plus they drop right in without gunsmithing.
GDKPIKPWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 19:37   #3
Points: 4,617, Level: 43 Points: 4,617, Level: 43 Points: 4,617, Level: 43
Activity: 83.6% Activity: 83.6% Activity: 83.6%
Last Achievements

That's a tough choice for me. The .30-06 is my very favorite rifle cartridge and most Remington 700s I've ever been around shot very well indeed. I could handload for and shoot a Remington 700 .30-06 from now on and be happy.

On the other hand, I've always wanted a heavy-barreled .30 caliber of some sort. I have a 1903 Springfield action on hand that I've thought of barreling up into a heavy-barreled .30-06 just for bench rest fun with the cartridge. I've also thought of obtaining one of the older Remington 700 Varmint Special .308s and putting it to work. A friend has had one of those since the early 1970s and it shoots teensy groups. The Savage might be a modern rendition of the 700 Varmint Special .308. I just don't know enough about the Savage bolt action rifles to suggest one.
bmcgilvray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 13:18   #4
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
most Remington 700s I've ever been around shot very well indeed.

I just don't know enough about the Savage bolt action rifles to suggest one.
My Remington shoots really good. It's just not serving a purpose. It's a beautiful rifle, in fact, maybe a little too pretty. I'm always afraid of scratching it. It still looks brand new. If I could get the Savage, I would still take care of it just the same, but not have to worry so much with a Hogue stock. Plus, it would do everything the 700 would do and then some. Where the 700 just really plays one role for me, a deer rifle.

I too don't know anything about the Savage rifles. I know what I hear is good. I was hoping someone on here might have one they would like to brag on.
Old 09-12-2011, 16:32   #5
CantRe Member
Points: 3,331, Level: 35 Points: 3,331, Level: 35 Points: 3,331, Level: 35
Activity: 27.5% Activity: 27.5% Activity: 27.5%
Last Achievements

You have a real fine weapon that will last you a lifetime.

Nothing wrong with the Savage, but it ain't no Remington BDL.

If you plan to sit down on a bench and shoot round after round for hours on end then get the heavy barrel.

The Remington is capable of real fine accuracy, if you shoot it right. Don't let the barrel get hot!

What will happen, when you get that invite of a lifetime to go deer or elk hunting!

A heavy barrel tactical/target rifle is the pits to **** ant around out in the woods. I can tell you, I do alot of coyote hunting and exclusively use a heavy barrel Ruger varmint. I also have a Remington 700 ADL that I've found does just as good a job on coyotes as it does deer.

Toting around a 12 pound rifle is a big difference from a 8 pound rifle too

If you're worried about scratching it, buy a synthetic stock.

I would keep the BDL. If you reload, you might have a new appreciation of the 30-06

FWIW
ManyFeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 02:53   #6
Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63 Points: 8,778, Level: 63
Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8% Activity: 0.8%
Last Achievements

Realistically, you'll get $500 for your 700 if you sell it, and less if you trade it in. Since you currently have a 700 BDL, you can convert it to do basically what you're going to do with the Savage with a longer range round. Several companies make a heavy barrel for the 700 in 30-06, and a couple of companies make magazine conversions for the BDL in long actions like yours. A Bell & Carlson stock and a trigger job and you'll have a 1400 yard rifle.

Jim
jimbobborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 16:53   #7
Points: 702, Level: 14 Points: 702, Level: 14 Points: 702, Level: 14
Last Achievements

You do not need a new Savage. You need a new stock for your top line Remington, a glass bedding kit and a close friend that will keep you from doing foolish things when your "trade addiction" sets in.
KYnabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 11:02   #8
Last Achievements

The way I read the OP, it sounded like you wanted to switch to .308 because you would shoot it more, which I assumed was because of the price... That was why I supported the selling and buying a savage. But if the problem was the stock, then just buy a stock.

Another option if you are talking about the ammo price, would be to get the stock or whatever you want for the Remington, then buy yourself a cheaper .223 bolt action for practice/plinking.

I'm younger than most on the board, so my income is generally lower, and that is what I did. I have a bolt in 308 (which to me is expensive to shoot), but for paper punching I shoot primarily 7.62x39 out of the SKS, and in a week or so I'll have a bolt action .223 in the same model series as my .308 as well.
Old 09-14-2011, 18:39   #9
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by GDKPIKPWG View Post
The way I read the OP, it sounded like you wanted to switch to .308 because you would shoot it more, which I assumed was because of the price... That was why I supported the selling and buying a savage. But if the problem was the stock, then just buy a stock.

Another option if you are talking about the ammo price, would be to get the stock or whatever you want for the Remington, then buy yourself a cheaper .223 bolt action for practice/plinking.

I'm younger than most on the board, so my income is generally lower, and that is what I did. I have a bolt in 308 (which to me is expensive to shoot), but for paper punching I shoot primarily 7.62x39 out of the SKS, and in a week or so I'll have a bolt action .223 in the same model series as my .308 as well.
I would like to have a .308 because of variety and availability of ammo. If I could get a heavy barreled, high capacity .308, that would be a good rifle (for me) to complete my rifles for readiness collection.

If I wouldn't be trading a good rifle for a turd, I would like to do it. BUT, I don't know anything about a Savage rifle and was hoping someone on here either knows someone who has one or has one of their own to brag on. I know Savage hasn't been known for their beautiful craftsmanship like a 700, but if it will shoot really accurate at long distances like I've heard they will, that's what I'm looking for.

I've got my Mini 14, SKS and 10/22 for playing around with.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:40   #10
Points: 3,551, Level: 37 Points: 3,551, Level: 37 Points: 3,551, Level: 37
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

while it is not a long heavy barrel i just recently got the ruger gunsite rifle. so far i have about 200 rounds thru it and love it.

as for savage i have an axis in 223. with my hand loads its best group is .87 with factory ammo just over an inch. not bad for a 300 entry level gun. if their budget gun is that good i would like to try a higher end one with accu trigger and stock that was going to be the next purchase but i fell in love with the gun site rifle.
scubadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:41   #11
Last Achievements

Well, I can't post the links to another forum here, but my local club has a whole lot of savage fans. They all say the model with the accu stock and trigger are a great value for a out of the box shooter; and that the cheaper Edge model that comes with a "tupperware" stock and normal trigger are a good starting point for someone who likes to tinker on their rifles.
Old 09-15-2011, 05:54   #12
Last Achievements

Here is some copy paste action that sounds like it might help a lot:

Which is the better deal and why?

Remington 700 ADL - $450
Camo stock, internal magazine, heavy barrel, scope and mounts.

Savage 111 - $350
Synthetic stock, detachable box magazine (dtm), regular barrel, regular trigger (not-accutriger), scope and mounts.

Savage Edge - $350
(Same as 111, but camo stock)

Mossberg 100 ATR - $300
Laminate wood stock, internal magazine, beautiful crown on the barrel and free floated.

Looking at getting one of the following in .308. Which is the best rifle of the 4 and which is the best value for the price (so 2 questions actually).

Anyone have experience with these rifles?
---------------------------------------
"What will you be using the rifle for? Hunting, bench shooting, both?

All of those rifles should be very accurate out of the box.

The problem with the 700 Remington trigger is for pre 2007 models I believe, not current production with the xpro trigger. If you get a new rifle this is a non issue.
----------------------------------------
I have a Savage 12FVSS. It has a heavy barrel, and Accutrigger. Love the gun...absolutely hate the factory stock! All the money went into the metal, and only a wee bit into the Tupperware. To be fair, the rifle is stainless steel, with a 24 inch barrel, and kinda heavy. For a lighter rifle the stock maybe OK, but not for a heavy varminter.
My buddy has a Savage Stevens, which is Savage's lower end line, and it absolutely works great...with the right ammo. American ammo works great, surplus not so great.
-----------------------------------------

I've shot most of them, best rifle for the money is the Savage Edge/Axis .308 Walmart $267 untouchable value IMO.

If you want a nicer stock (AccuStock) and trigger (AccuTrigger), I'd opt for the Savage 11 FCNS. About double the Edge/Axis - $550-600.

Next up would be the Remington 700 SPS Tactical (bull barrel). This rifle has an adjustable trigger, the X-Mark Pro. Personally I like the AccuTrigger more.
-----------------------------------------

-There was some more about the accu-trigger, apparently the regular savage trigger is fine enough for most folks, but the accu-trigger was well liked among the guys who fancy themselves competitive long range shooters. I say "fancy themselves" because it is a local Long Island forum... We don't have any ranges over 200 yards. I just don't have the heart to tell them that 0-200 is considered short range in the real world.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:01   #13
Points: 17,092, Level: 83 Points: 17,092, Level: 83 Points: 17,092, Level: 83
Last Achievements

I think you better call Savage first to see if your combo is acceptable to their sensibilities. They are sure to be highly priced no matter what. Look at their catalog, they offer a .308 with a fluted HB equipped with a good muzzle break, as well as a DBM and a very good adjustable trigger and aluminum V-block bedded stock. I have a Savage # 10 FPLE (Choate stock from factory) and paid $699 from Cabellas. Shoots sub-MOA easily and will only get better with more practice.
calibrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 13:58   #14
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by scubadad View Post
while it is not a long heavy barrel i just recently got the ruger gunsite rifle. so far i have about 200 rounds thru it and love it.

i would like to try a higher end one with accu trigger and stock that was going to be the next purchase but i fell in love with the gun site rifle.
After talking with Savage, doing some thinking and handling some different rifles, I think I'm gonna skip out on the Savage for now. HOWEVER, I have had a Gunsite Scout Rifle on my list for a while now. I handled one in my LGS and man, I love the way that thing feels! It has everthing I wanted in a rifle except a long heavy barrel, but lets get serious about what kind of shooting I'm gonna be doing.

Will I ever need to drop something @ 800 yards? Probably not. Will the Gunsite rifle shoot anything as far as I can or need to? Yes.

I like the handiness and fell and caliber and iron sights and, well...., you get the picture.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:27   #15
Points: 3,551, Level: 37 Points: 3,551, Level: 37 Points: 3,551, Level: 37
Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3% Activity: 3.3%
Last Achievements

i have no regrets about the getting the gunsite rifle. in one review i read the ruger people said they were engaging targets as far out as 1k yds.
out of the box im getting 2 in groups with factory ammo and my bad eyes. im in the process of working up a good hand load to cut that group size down.
scubadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 22:00   #16
Registered Member
Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4
Last Achievements

I vote for the Savage 11 LRH

I realize this is an old thread and the OP may have already settled on the Gunsite Ruger, but I own a Savage Mod 11 LRH (Accustock and Accutrigger) and put it in a Manners stock and mounted a Springfield Armory .308 scope. It is my "tactical sniper rig," which is what I gathered from the OP's comments he was leaning toward. I also owned a similar 700 BDL in .30-06 which I gifted to one of my sons for Christmas. I would try to keep the BDL in the family.

Here is a link to an 11 LRH in .308 on GB with about two days left on the auction, no reserve.
BackPhil is offline   Reply With Quote