Perfect Union banner
10K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  gunman42782 
#1 ·
Here's a few pic's of my new Scout Rifle.
(My first bolt action...)
I have a Burris 2.75 scout scope.
I have not had a chance to take it out to the long range.
(Other than 10 rounds at a indoor 25 yd range)

I'll let you all know how it works next weekend.

Lateck,

See less See more
#3 ·
I'm no gunwriter, but here's some stuff I've written online about the Ruger Scout Rifle.

Here's some stuff I have posted on the GSR:

Quote:
Howdy All.

Just an update on my Ruger Gunsite Scout, and some of it's "handiness".

I find this short rifle to be the cat's meow as a truck gun. It's easy to pull out of the truck, swing around car/truck doors, and fast to swing from target to target, or to track running game. It's also very easy to carry. At first I thought the Xtra Long Super-Size magazine was going to be a hinderance, but that is not often the case for me. It makes a very natural holding point as one is trekking through the sonoran desert with rifle in hand. The only time I have found it to be a hinderance is when one is shooting from prone.

With optics, sling, and fully loaded magazine this rifle does not meet the pre-determined weight that a Scout Rifle is supposed to have but for me it's a minor annoyance, and not a determining factor. Heck, it's lighter than my lightweight AR for God's sake! It's also smoother to handle and not as user unfriendly as an AR, in my opinion. It's just different. I've been using a Red Dot optic, but have had some issues with it, so I'm going to a traditional scope to see how it shakes out shooting at longer distances.

Besides being easy to swing, I find the shorter barrel to be accurate. I wish my 7mm-08 was as accurate. I think Ruger got a lot right with this rifle. The few minor things that don't meet Scout specs are not things that I would let stop me from buying this rifle if I wanted a compact, easy to carry and track multiple targets with, and accurate rifle that is fairly light in weight and has lots of versatility and adjustability.

Biker

Quote:
OK all, I have mine in my hot little hands.

It cost me $765 with shipping and transfer fee. I say that not to brag, but to let others get an idea as to what these go for, for comparision purposes. I will disclose however that I pay $0.00 on all tranfer fees, so it just cost me the price of the gun and shipping.

My dealer/FFL Holder doesn't charge me a transfer fee, and I'm grateful for that. He even told me that my cost on the gun was as much, or less, than what he would've sold it to me for by the time he included tax. I get guns at his cost + shipping as well. He's in business to make a dollar, but not off me apparently. In my past, approximately thirty-six hours with this rifle, I have come to the conclusion that this may be the one bolt action rifle without a thumbhole stock that I like. The forward mounted optic makes shouldering the rifle right handed, while using the left as my sighting eye, a breeze. I've been shooting for over the past twenty years with a left handed thumbhole stock on a right handed action. I hate going over the stock to manipulate the bolt with my left hand, and have no desire to use a left handed bolt having seen a hunter that shot left handed bolt guns miss a real trophy when he used a borrowed right handed action rifle. His left hand did a great job of polishing the left side of the borrowed rifle however as his trophy Elk disappeared in to the woods.

I've wanted to shoot longarms right handed for years, but was taught to shoot them left handed as a kid due to my dominant eye being my left eye. I am however right handed, but have forced myself to be somewhat ambidextrious and spend a lot of time shooting handguns left handed as well, although I carry and prefer to shoot right handed. I'm going to have fun playing with this rifle. I'll zero the Iron Sights for shooting left handed and the Red/Green Dot Optic for right handed shooting. I've noticed that one can shoot with the opposite hand as to the one they sighted in with, using red dot sights, with slight variation in POA/POI from the initial hand/eye combination. For me it's enough of a variation that I wouldn't be trying to do a deep brain shot that way, switching hands without rezeroing, but feel confident in hitting the center mass of a human torso.

Biker

Quote:
I have one.

The rifle is a tack-driver that one can do well with. What I like about the rifle is it's versatility. From it's adjustable legnth of pull, to the vision mounting options. I find this to be a well thought out rifle that can serve many roles, and quite well I might add. Is it a Scout as defind by the late Col Cooper? Nope, according to some, but I don't much care about that. He put the concept in to play, and Ruger fielded it in a manner that will appeal to consumers.

For Bear Season I plan to have a red dot optic on this rifle, forward mount. Then, for deer season I will use a traditional scope set up. Thank you Ruger for including the scope rings with your rifle. That's a nice touch that saves a dollar or two, an important feature in this economy. The iron sights are robust, and combined with the barrel, very accurate. In my opinion this is one rifle that does very well at performing a variety of task.

The bolt throw gets smoother as one works it. It had some rough spots when first taken out of the box that have smoothed up quite nicely after working the bolt. If I was inclined, and I'm not, I could've paid a gunsmith to work these spots off the bolt with a little judicious sanding. I'm of the school of thought that 1,000 bolt throws will do what ten minutes with a piece of sandpaper will do. The barrel is quite accurate, with only a slight nod going to the Savage rifles for accuracy out of the box. It's so slight that unless you are shooting five rounds in the same hole at 100 Yards you won't notice it. It is entirely possible to get 1/2 MOA out of this rifle with the right handload.

The downside to this rifle is the midship rudder that Ruger calls a magazine. At over $50 each I won't be buying a lot of them, but then I shouldn't need a lot of them for hunting. It comes with a 10 Round magazine, that I use as a "spare". I use the 5 Round magazine as my hunting magazine. I understand why Ruger used a single stack magazine, and I don't fault them for that. Reliability is paramount after all. The greatest rifle in the world is useful for nothing more than a club if it is not reliable, IMHO.

The trigger is acceptable, with no creep or grittiness. My sample gives a clean break that is wearing in to what I consider an acceptable non-modified hunting rifle trigger. Combined with the accuracy this rifle displays, I am impressed. It's versatility is well thought out and implemented. The Flash Suppresor, you can take it or leave it. It is easily removed, and a cap installed to protect the threads if one desires. Me, I like it as I think it has some recoil reducing properties as well. I could be wrong about that, but I'm not so sure I am. The recoil pad is the finest I have found on any stock rifle, and wish other manufacturers would include it on their rifles.

If it sounds like I have become a fan of this rifle, you're right. At the present time I only own one bolt action rifle for hunting, and the Ruger Gunsite Scout is it. I think that should say something to those of you considering one. It is not a "Battle Rifle" but rather a rifle that can fulfill a lot of roles while specializing in no one particular role, and do that very well.

Biker

Quote:
RUGER GUNSITE SCOUT RIFLE

I've got one.

It's my favorite .308 caliber bolt action rifle. The short barrel is a little tack driver and I plan on using it for most game animals that I would use the .308 for. For me that's deer, elk, antelope, mountain lion, and bear. I'll go with a larger caliber for moose, caribou, bison, and alaskan bears. I find the rifle to be very versitle and handy. Like the AR it is adaptable. I've removed the forward rail and turned it into a more traditional scoped rifle. That's because long shots are the norm for deer season here. I'd venture that 300 Yard shots are the "norm", thus a higer powered scope.

I've been very impressed with the rifles accuracy and "handiness". It is a rifle that I like to carry and port around. The Scout Rifle was designed as a General Purpose Rifle that one can defend, carry, and bring home the meat with. I'm a big fan of this rifle in a short period of time. If I go to hunting heavy timber I'll put the rail back on the rifle and put my red dot on it. The only reason I'm not using a scout scope right now is because I plan on taking longer shots this fall, and thus favor a more traditional scope set up at this time.

Prior to deciding to do some longer range hunting I had a red dot on my rifle and was comfortable out to 250 yards with it in the scout rifle mode. Before this rifle I was never much of a fan of packing a bolt action rifle. This rifle is easy to pack in the desert, can get the game, and in a pinch defend. That's what the Scout was designed to do. There are a few manufactuers of after market magazines, and the in line 10 round magazine, while looking like a midship rudder is actually very handy. I pack mine with a 5 round magazine in place and carry two 10 round magazines as spares.

The only negative to this rifle, according to some, is that you can't top off your ammunition supply with stripper clips. Hey guess what, you can't do that with an AR either! So for me that makes it a moot point. That's what spare magazines are for. This is a light, easy shooting, adaptable rifle that can function in many roles much like the AR can function in a variety of roles. It's not "perfect" in any role, like the AR isn't perfect, but it's dang good at a variety of roles.

With iron sights, and the ones that come on the rifle are dang good, it's a sweet shooter. With a scout scope it's mo' betta. With a traditional scope it's the cat's meow in a long range role. I liked the red dot scope on mine for traditional packing and humping, and brush shooting. The short barrel favors the brush too. The short barrel also favors the longer range stuff, as it's a tack driver. That's one thing that seems to be said often about this rifle, "It's a tack driver."

If you have need or want of a .308 caliber rifle, one would look long and hard to find a rifle that will fill more roles than this rifle, and do a better job.

Biker

PS: I've never been a fan of bolt action rifles for myself. They were fine for other folks until now. Now I'm a fan. That's said as a left handed rifle shooter shooting a right handed bolt.

Biker

#5 ·
BikerRN;
Thanks for the write up. I could never do that type of review :D
Everything you said id just about right ON!
I paid $820.00 plus taxes for mine and I have not found any magazines for less then $60+......:eek: So only 1 mag at this time.:rolleyes:
What I found to be an eye opener is NO major felt re-coil...... I mean not as much as I was expecting when thinking back on how my BAR .30-06 shot!
(NOTE: I am in no way an expert or even a seasoned novice ).

I took my GSR out to a longer range yesterday and put 40 rounds through her.
I needed to try to sight in the scope. Not as good as I had hoped (I need a spotting scope ;) ) But, I was able to put the rounds in a 10" area at 100 yards and for ME that's a start (had some crosswinds).
I will try her out again next week when I can set up better targets and have a good spotting scope.
By the way would anyone like to recommend a good $200~300 spotting scope?

More to follow... :)

Lateck,

#6 ·
A buddy of mine did a bit of research and settled on the Promaster Infinity 60:

Here's the Amazon link for info:

Amazon.com: Promaster Infinity 80mm Spotting Scope: Camera & Photo

The eye relief is excellent with eye protection. This company is up and coming in the market. He loves the scope and finds it very easy to take a shot, turn his head to the scope, adjust and fire again.

I'll be buying this one.

Hope This helps.

#7 ·
These always remind me of my two Enfield "Jungle Carbines":), built in the mid-40s.
They have a strange resemblance.

Those lucky enough to have an original Spanish FR8 carbine (a what?:huh:) with HK sights use the same ammo.

One of the articles posted above seems to match the impressions in the latest NRA magazine article.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.