Perfect Union banner
64K views 187 replies 31 participants last post by  bai78 
#1 ·
What's the opinion on Ruger's new rifle? At first, I really didn't care for it, just a first glance, but after some reading up on it, I've changed my mind. I really think that it would be a pretty handy rifle. I've been looking for a .308 bolt action and this might be the one. I like the controlled feed vs. the push feed, and I like that they are using AI mags for this (M1A mags would have been better). I also like the mini sights, and this has the same set-up. I think back-up sights are a must have for any SHTF rifle. I do think Ruger makes one of the best looking laminated stocks out there, but I would like a Hogue or a polymer stock like my Minis have. Accuracy looks pretty good, from the article I read on Arfcom.

What say you?!

RO

P.S. sorry I don't know how to post pics.:unsure:

#2 ·
The only problem with the M1A mags is that they vary in consistency from mag to mag depending on the manufacturer, and in fact are manufactured to different "standards" and dimensions by some companies. That means that an M1A mag from Company A may not fit your rifle even though an "M1A" mag from Company B does. Ruger wanted to avoid that, so they went with the Accuracy International standard, which are not truly proprietary. Are they expensive? Sure, but you're also guaranteed to get a mag that fits your gun.

#4 · (Edited)
Ruger Scout

I think that this rifle will fit the bill for a lot of people who:

1) Have been itching to have a "Cooper" style scout rifle.

2) Have been wanting a .308 bolt gun but are not into the long range super sniper precision rifle thing.

3) Want a shorter, handier "utility/ranch" rifle with a little more oomph for longer range varmint shots or the occasional deer opportunity.

Worth watching: http://www.downrange.tv/blog/the-reb...le-video/7918/

#9 ·
I think it is in too tight of a niche, from a marketing perspective. My crystal ball says this rifle will go away in a few years.There is already zero interest in the precision / tactical community for the M77 action, and Ruger in general. Probably the hunting community will be the customer base here, IMHO. However, in that price range and topping 7 lbs., not including optics...:eek:???? We hunt hogs down here in Bama, You can get one with a bolt action,before they scatter, but a semi auto is the way to roll. Getting a few more on the run .......

This rifle can do everything an M1A Scout or SOCOM will do...only slower.

This rifle has truck gun smell all over it, for those who have a preference for bolt gun reliability. The problem is laying out that cash for a bolt rifle with features that no one is clamoring for OOB. BUIS and a threaded barrel? a rail? - you can get that stuff antwhere.

As for the rail, I think Jeff Cooper is rolling over in his grave right now. The original scout concept went with irons all the way. I think a quality 1.5 X 4 or red dot would make this a good brush gun. Do you want to part with seven or eight bills to get one?

#10 ·
"As for the rail, I think Jeff Cooper is rolling over in his grave right now. The original scout concept went with irons all the way. I think a quality 1.5 X 4 or red dot would make this a good brush gun. Do you want to part with seven or eight bills to get one?"

On page 136 of the Gunsite press edition of "To Ride, Shoot straight, and Speak the truth." Col. Cooper describes "The Forward Telescope" in his own words. The picture on page 133 shows the scout rifle with no iron sights. There were several incarnations and calibers over the years, but I'm pretty sure he lead the charge in the early 80s.

#12 ·
We are talking about Cooper not carbines in general, as built by someone else. His scout had a forward mount from go and a scope. His idea of irons was a receiver rear and a front sight just forward of the scope with about an 11 inch sight radius. See, I read just fine.

I've read this over and over trying to convince myself to put something together but I just can't. Also doubt if the Col. were alive that Ruger would get the nod for the rifle.

#13 ·
This thread made me read Col. Coopers' chapter on "Scout Rifles" and this puppy ain't it. This is the scout rifle endorsed by the current Gunsite management. It is missing the magazine cutoff, the third sling swivel, the synthetic stock and the weight limit.
Also one of the reasons he mentioned for the forward scope was being able to grab the weapon by it's center of gravity. That ten round mag would horse that up. I don't know, but kinda doubt the Ruger carries the three lb., breaks like a glass rod trigger described in the chapter. The heel of the stock isn't rounded and the front sight is all the way out front which isn't to spec. But hey! it's got a Gunsite logo. That being said if they would make it in the mini calibers, and feeding from mini mags, I could become friends with a version of it, cause I'm not a scout anyway.

This post has been deleted
#16 ·
Gun Talk TV on Versus devoted the entire show to the rifle this week. Unfortunately, I don't think the show will be aired again. It's normally aired on Fridays @ 10 AM and Sundays @ 8 AM.

I DVR'd it and just watched it. This rifle just has a lot of appeal. After seeing it handled and in action, I really want to handle one myself. Whether or not it meets Cooper's strict definition doesn't really matter to me.

#17 ·
Seems to be some a pretty good level of excitement about this rifle. There is a thread on Arfcom that is 7 or 8 pages long. Some of the posters claim to have shoot it/held it and seem to like the balance, features, etc. Can't wait to check it out.

RO

#20 ·
My sample finally arrived and I picked it up this afternoon.

General impressions are good. The rifle's nicely finished with nice metal to wood fit. The receiver is free of any nasty tool marks and the action works smoothly. The trigger's good with only a tiny hint of creep at initial take-up. It breaks cleanly and the creep shouldn't be a hindrance on the bench. The magazine loads easily and seats without undo effort.

I don't have my scope in yet but I'll see if I can't find the time to shoot this thing with open sights over the weekend. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

#24 ·
I am so tempted to get one of these. I had a Frontier in 308 but ditched it as it was not a "true" scout (no irons, 4 rnd internal mag). Other than a sharp muzzle blast it was a nice rifle and great brush gun. So temping now that Rugers making a true scout ...

#25 · (Edited)
I shot about 90 rounds through my Scout this afternoon. I don't have my scope yet but I was anxious to try the rifle with irons and get those dialed in. Ammo used was a mix of 125gr and 130gr reloads and some German 147gr surplus.

I started off shooting at my old standby--rock on the hillside--to get some rough adjustments made to the sights and then moved to paper. I fired a number of groups of five rounds at 100 yards. Accuracy was good with my best group being five rounds into two inches. Most groups ran about 3"-4" with the 147gr ammo shooting about 2" right of center.

The irons sit rather low on the gun and my cheekbone is feeling the punishment. The gun is mild in recoil and fairly pleasant to shoot but I'll be glad to get an optic mounted that'll let me get my head up off the stock just a little bit.

More when I have it...

#26 ·
I should make mention of the rail pictured above. This is a prototype that XS Sight Systems was kind enough to send me. As you can see, it includes a rear sight and gives about 2x the rail length that's on the gun as shipped from the factory. It should provide plenty of real estate for any optic or red dot and tip-off magnifier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.