Perfect Union banner
64K views 187 replies 31 participants last post by  bai78 
#1 ·
What's the opinion on Ruger's new rifle? At first, I really didn't care for it, just a first glance, but after some reading up on it, I've changed my mind. I really think that it would be a pretty handy rifle. I've been looking for a .308 bolt action and this might be the one. I like the controlled feed vs. the push feed, and I like that they are using AI mags for this (M1A mags would have been better). I also like the mini sights, and this has the same set-up. I think back-up sights are a must have for any SHTF rifle. I do think Ruger makes one of the best looking laminated stocks out there, but I would like a Hogue or a polymer stock like my Minis have. Accuracy looks pretty good, from the article I read on Arfcom.

What say you?!

RO

P.S. sorry I don't know how to post pics.:unsure:

#149 ·
You people just make me sick:p

Stop buying these rifles and posting pic of them!! :(

Now I'm going to have to go and sell a gun, vehicle, or child, to get one. :eek:

I'm leaning towards the child , but don't tell anyone. :lol:

Nice rifle legion:)

Is that the 5th?

#152 ·
From another site I post on:

This is a follow up to my original thread posted here:

First impressions with my Ruger GSR, I finally got to shoot it! - Ruger Forum

I now have about 350 rounds through the rifle with no problems related to the rifle. I have found it is very accurate and recoil appears to be on the mild side.

I have added a scope and finally got to shoot it for some groups. The scope has proved to be a challenge because I am used to a high magnification/fine cross hair varmint type scope. The scope is a standard Leupold Scout scope with heavy duplex. I am really warming up to this type of scope however. It is very fast and provided and good sight picture.

So I headed up to my range north of LA. I belong to a hunting club and we have a couple of trap ranges and a rifle range on our property so this provides a quiet and relaxed place to shoot.

I got the rifle on paper at 50 yards and then moved back to 100. It was challenging for me to shoot at this distance because of the low magnification and the heavy duplex reticle. Here is a picture of a typical 100 yard group:

I then came up with an idea to shoot a little bit tighter groups. I would first split the pie or cut the circle into four even pieces in the scope. Then I would cover the red dot in the center with the cross hairs and press the trigger. This is my best group using that method:

I realize that this is not how the rifle was intended to be shot, but I need to confirm my zero and make sure my load was grouping correctly.

Here is a comparison shot of the two groups for perspective:

Next I went to 25 yards (top) and shot as quickly as possible from a low ready position and then moved back to the 50 yard line (bottom) and did it again. Here are the groups:

The one thing I learned from this is that beyond 25 yards, I need some type of rest or position change to hit. At 50 I knelled down and used a pipe for support. Although it slowed me down a bit, I was able to hit the target with much better accuracy. I have a lot of practicing to do.

Finally I loaded up the rifle and went for a walk to check the back fence to see if anyone has been coming on to our property. It took about an hour and I enjoyed hefting the rifle. It carries well for me and is easy to carry through the light bush we have up there. Here are some random shots I took of the rifle on this walk:

Final thoughts:

C-Products mags continue to suck. Do not buy them or any from the new company. They have bugs.

Muzzle blast is a non issue. It is not louder than the other two rifles I was shooting yesterday.

Accuracy is very good. With a conventional scope it would be possible to shoot some great groups. Don't believe the "Ruger's Can't Shoot" myth.

Overall this is a great little rifle and works exactly how I hoped it would. It is prefect for protecting my rural property and it very fun to shoot.

Hope this was informative.

Matt

#153 ·
^^^Great info Matt, Thanks! ^^^

There's a good write-up in the new American Rifleman

After reading it my only concern with this new rifle is the, glass-reinforced nylon mag well/trigger guard. I'm not familiar with this material so I don't know how durable it will be over time.

#154 ·
Matt: thanks for the post and Pic's!!! :)

Turn-Key: "After reading it my only concern with this new rifle is the, glass-reinforced nylon mag well/trigger guard. I'm not familiar with this material so I don't know how durable it will be over time."

That's the same stuff they using in the grips of the SR-9,40,9c,LCP, LC9 guns so I think it would hold up :rolleyes::cool::wacko: (Time will tell).

Lateck,

#156 ·
Matt: thanks for the post and Pic's!!! :)

Turn-Key: "After reading it my only concern with this new rifle is the, glass-reinforced nylon mag well/trigger guard. I'm not familiar with this material so I don't know how durable it will be over time."

That's the same stuff they using in the grips of the SR-9,40,9c,LCP, LC9 guns so I think it would hold up :rolleyes::cool::wacko: (Time will tell).

Lateck,
Well, I hope that's a good thing!!

The last Ruger pistol I held was when they had the Govt contract for the Bureau I worked for, and that was only after a lawsuit, it was the P89DAO (I Retired in 2008.) I think they ended up making them in Prescott, AZ, where I went to my first College after I got out of the Military (cira: 1981.)

Don't get me wrong, I love older Rugers! I have a 10/22 from the early 70's, a 3 screw Blackhawk from the late 70's, and an SS Super Blackhawk from the early 90's. Also, the first centerfire rifle I bought (back in 1978,) which I just put in a new stock, was a flat bolt M77V in 6mm. I also have a standard Mark II in 30-06, and my 196 Mini. l bought all of them new, because I trusted the Ruger name and quality!

I really like this new Scout rilfe. However, with all the problems I've read about some of their current rifles, and their CS issues, I will wait and see how it all shakes out.

From all I've read so far, it looks like they did it right, and I'm glad!!

as one of my favorite people always says,

"More will be revealed!" ;)

#157 ·
GDKPIK-:

You summarized some excellent points.

Lots of well-read Enfield #5 owners claim that some of the criticism was created by the British govt. after WW2, in order to help justify the conversion to a semi-auto rifle.
Others state that the humid climate in Burma in '44-45 (and later Malaysia in '56) caused problems with the stocks in some of the rifles.

With my two, they can make pretty decent groups at 100 yards.
It's always very rewarding to read that most people would not want to permanently alter classic war rifles, and not many people like Enfield #5s (this is very nice...), or even Enfield #4s.
"Tikirocker", an Aussie moderator at Surplusrifle, Gunboards etc can clarify some misconceptions regarding LEs.

Those Ruger Scouts look like very solid fun.

#158 ·
Here's one of my latest groups. This is with Hornady 155gr A-MAX. My CED M2 chrono had decided to get fussy with me so I've got no velocity data. But this load shows promise and I'll have to pick up another box to try. Maybe next time around I can get some chrono data.

#160 ·
GDKPIKPWG:

I briefly handled the very appealing AIA "Jungle Carbine" imitation at Gander Mountain in Saginaw MI, back in Feb '09. There were reportedly a very limited number of them in the US.

For short distance shooting, any handy .303 Jungle Carbine ($450) might work as a Scout Rifle, having aperture sights and a 10-rd. magazine?
I suppose that only new rifles can be truly chic as a Scout, and luckily this limits public demand for either my
third "JC":) or a first Spanish FR8:).
These Prvi .303 cases that have been marked with fingernail polish have been reloaded five times and still no sign of stress.

#162 ·
GDKPIKPWG: Sure, that AIA Carbine is very appealing and uses low-cost ammo, but there were two problems.

The rifle was listed at about $750, and various Internet comments revealed that a very limited number were imported into the US, keeping the prices very high.

"Joesalter" will sell you a very good "Jungle C." for much less. His firm sold me one (all-matching) with an excellent bore in early '09 for $425.

But this thread is to evaluate or support the moderately-priced;) Ruger Scout.
Would the Ruger's iron sights enable most shooters to hit a feral pig or deer etc from 50-100 yards?

#163 ·
Nice looking rifle, I have been looking to add a .308 to my collection. I like the bolt action vs semi auto (M1A) cause it is light on the wallet for training ammo. Have any of you Ruger .308 Scout rifle owners mounted your scope directly over the bolt? I noticed you can remove the rear iron sight and use it as the back anchor for a standard Ruger scalloped ring. I am not a fan of scout rails and the forward mounted scope, and I would def mount the scope over the bolt. Does the bolt interfere with the scope at all? It seems like it would be a lot more comfortable to shoot this way. The one downside would be the inability to quickly detach the scope to use the iron sights.

#174 ·
Someone over on the Ruger Forum mounted an extended Picatinny riser "backwards" on the scout rail, so the extened part of the riser was over the bolt. He then mounted a conventional scope on the riser. This allowed him to keep the rear iron sight on the rifle. He wanted a conventional scope that he could remove quickly and still have the iron sights ready to go.

#165 ·
I was watching the limited videos on Youtube about it and surprisingly a few people used that setup. I noticed the rings are two different heights if you decide to mount it at the rear of the rifle, like the M77 I believe. I have Warne Med quick detach rings for my Mini 14 but they are both the same height. I would need one shorter or taller ring, prob taller to completely avoid contact from the bolt. I am still deciding on whether to get this rifle or the SR556, although the scout is bit more appealing because of it's price and caliber.

#166 ·
If you conventionally mount the scope using the the Ruger supplied rings there will be no issues. The rings supplied are the same height. Not sure what you were viewing; but rings on the receiver will will be medium rings x2. No discussion needed, all is koshar, you will be just fine with supplied rings. period. exclamation point!

#173 ·
If you look at my post near the top you can see how I taped the mags. I went once around the bottom and once around the side. Not sure how the mags were stamped, but was sure they did not work too well. I think BikerRN had similar problems with his. I am glad yours worked out. Have fun with that rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.