Perfect Union banner
64K views 187 replies 31 participants last post by  bai78 
#1 ·
What's the opinion on Ruger's new rifle? At first, I really didn't care for it, just a first glance, but after some reading up on it, I've changed my mind. I really think that it would be a pretty handy rifle. I've been looking for a .308 bolt action and this might be the one. I like the controlled feed vs. the push feed, and I like that they are using AI mags for this (M1A mags would have been better). I also like the mini sights, and this has the same set-up. I think back-up sights are a must have for any SHTF rifle. I do think Ruger makes one of the best looking laminated stocks out there, but I would like a Hogue or a polymer stock like my Minis have. Accuracy looks pretty good, from the article I read on Arfcom.

What say you?!

RO

P.S. sorry I don't know how to post pics.:unsure:

#105 ·
Should totally work with the tech-sites product then. The install is literally just that one screw (there are two support screws as well like with the 10/22 tech sights, but that goes into the sight assembely without touching the reciever).

I really hate the ruger integral mounts... They need to do away with that mess and just have two short weaver mounts, and move the rear sight off of it. Then someone could have quick-detach rings to mount a scout scope, rear scope, or go to iron sights without breaking out the toolbox.

It seems like ruger always goes 95% of the way with making a great product... I'll never understand that 5% that seems so simple to meet.

(I'm a ruger fan still, just a sometimes annoyed one.)

#108 ·
I sent them an email on monday saying I wanted to see a more affordable version of the GSR in 7.62x39, a long with a few reasons on why I think it would be a really marketable gun. I got the expected autoreponse at first, then today a "we forwarded that idea to marketing."

If any members here think that would be cool... Then send them an email. If they get enough, who knows.

#109 ·
I just bought a GSR today on GB = $775 shipped. What the heck. I would like to see if they make them in milder 7mm08 but .308 is a great round so its hard to complain. My Frontier was .308 and I missed it ... the GSR is like the Frontier done right!
5L

#111 ·
I am not sure you could build one for the same price as a Ruger or Savage, when you include the cost of the gun, gunsmith fees, and parts. I would be cheaper to just get the Savage or Ruger. The Savage scout in my case was cheaper (about 100 less) than the Ruger. And Savage makes excellent rifles.

Before the Savage came out I was going to use an old M77 to build a scout. After pricing out parts and labor from a gunsmith. I kinda gave up, then the Savage came out (reintroduced) and right after that the Ruger came out. I had to have the both, looking back now I could have built a custom for what these two cost me.

Also,
I emailed Sharp shooter supply asking some questions about that extended magazine for the Savage, and depending on their response, (been waiting 4 days for a reply already) I may order one to try out in my model 10FCM. If I get one, then I will post a review.

#113 ·
I am not sure you could build one for the same price as a Ruger or Savage, when you include the cost of the gun, gunsmith fees, and parts. I would be cheaper to just get the Savage or Ruger. The Savage scout in my case was cheaper (about 100 less) than the Ruger. And Savage makes excellent rifles.
I did all the math for this once starting with a Howa barreled action... It ended up being like $1200 with the iron sights possibly not working out.

That being said, a CZ 527 (only in 7.62x39 or .223) is a pretty solid stand in for a bolt action with iron sights and a quick handling barrel. Only a standard scope mount though, plus you would only be saving a whole lot buying it used.

If only Mosin Nagant M44's could have a forward scope mount that would not ruin the historical value rifle or impede use of the iron sights... Then you could have a great alternative with only a few disadvantages-- and a few advantages (stripper clips, single shot loading, etc.)-- for less than $150.

#117 ·
Yea we did get off topic...

But I'm willing to bet I can find the GSR for under ~$750 out the door if I shop around for long enough. Since the GSR is what I want, and I have an SKS for 7.62, I'll just hold out for it. I think by summertime I should be able to afford one without too much trouble. I could afford one earlier, but I have a shopping list of parts for my other guns that I kind of want to get done first.

#119 ·
Tok - Yes the classic K scout. I'll let you know - just ordered one from Midway. I am counting on Weaver's rep as a decent scope as little review on the net. I did see the wt issue, but 2 oz not going to kill me. It would be really easy to put too much scope on this rifle I think but a fixed 4x is a KISS sweet spot I think for 300m and less. Also ordered some nice 1" Tally QD rings and a 5 round AI mag. So I'm quickly over the $1k mark on this project! I also plan to get a 3rd sling swivel installed and use a Wilderness Tac Ching sling.
5L

#122 ·
Well, I finally got to take my Ruger scout out for a shoot and overall it seems OK at this point, it is not giving the same groups as my Savage Scout has with my hand-loads or factory ammo. It however did very well with factory winchester 180gn PowerPoint, the Savage did not like that stuff.
Overall after shooting I am pretty happy with the size and handling characteristics of this rifle. I do not have near the trigger time with this gun as the other scout, and it will probably get better the more rounds I send downrange.

I am blaming the problems right now on the weaver scope rings, they will not stay tight. The whole range session went like this; shoot 4 rounds tighten rings and repeat.

The difference in triggers is amazing, the Rugers more than adequate trigger pull feels like a double action revolver when compared side by side to the Accutrigger.

I will order some new rings the weavers just will not say tight on the rail, also will have to locktight the rail on the barrel, after about 50 rounds the rail came loose.

The possibilities with this rifle abound, I am going to order more mags and a different brake/flash-hider.

#124 ·
In my never ending quest to find the most versatile optic, I have mounted a Swarovski Z6i EE scope. This is a very nice piece of glass and has a great amout of versatility with magnification from 1x to 6x. It does have an illuminated reticle that's visible in all but the brightest sunlight. The image is crisp and clear and color rendition is about perfect.

On the down side, the scope is a dangerous game scope with extended eye relief and not a scout scope with long eye relief. It's designed to keep you from getting whacked by the scope when mounted on something like a .375 Ouch and Ouch. The position pictured is as far forward as I can mount the scope and still get proper eye relief off the bench. For standing offhand, it wouldn't hurt to move the scope back about 1/2" but it's already back as far as it'll go with the factory rail. I might have to re-mount the XS scope rail to give me a little more room.

As you can see, the scope covers the ejection port and I had to remove the rear sight to mount it. But it still allows the bolt handle to clear and be worked quickly and freely.

#125 ·
Unboxed my GSR today!

My initial impression: nice little rifle with excellent fit/finish. Shoulders and points very well, much like Mini-14 (sights BTW are great and an old fav for me at this point after owning several Minis). I like the laminated stock. The 10 rnd mag is a bit much for GP use and there is some play with it when inserted. Nothing crazy, sort of AK like wobble but not so much. 5 rnd AI mag (bought from Midway) is nice and tight and handier. Prob will get another even though pricey ($65?). Disappointed in the plastic trigger guard. Trigger is crisp, just right in my view. Not too light but crisp. Overall a neat little rifle. If it's accurate it will def be a keeper. I can't help but wish it was an 18" barrel but we'll she how she does. I plan to shoot irons in coming weeks and then mount my new Weaver scout scope.
5L

#126 ·
When I saw the first picture and mention of this rifle, I could not wait to get my hands on it...308cal. firepower in a neat package...$600.00-$700.00 dollars cheaper than a Springfield armory scout squad...Well I finally had the opportunity to see and hold it at Cabelas two weeks ago...My first impression was that it felt like a toy gun in my hands. Believe me I understand the scout concept and all but once again I'll say it felt like I was holding something made by Mattle Toys vs Ruger firearms. And I'm a big fan of Ruger ex..SR9, SR556, Mini-14....and now I'm the happy owner of a new Mini-thirty Tactical, like said in a comment above I like this rifles size and firepower, with good iron sights and it is semi-auto..Well Ruger still made a sale!

#132 ·
Was it? Who was talking about it? I've been around for a while and don't remember hearing, or reading about this.

However, I agree with the last, no good reason to chop up history:)

I'm still looking for a good Lee Enfield!!

#133 ·
Hahaha! He read this article and thought it would sound cool

<http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-reviews/new-ruger-308-win-gunsite-scout-rifle/>

What you don't know sir is that:
-That little carbine was disbanded fro having horrible accuracy.
-.303 British is harder to come by and more expensive than .308.
-The ladder sight it antiquated compared to a ghost ring.
-Mounting options? Too obvious. This would be difficult, probably expensive, and a desecration of history.
-They are rare, and likely to be more expensive than that article writer claimed if they are in serviceable condition.

You'd probably spend more on bringing a jungle carbine up to par than you would just buying a GSR, and you'd still have an inferior rifle in a lousy caliber choice ($ wise). Not to mention you'd be bubba'ing a collectors item.

#134 ·
GDKPIKPWG; Thanks for the address.

I have a GS rifle on order and hope to get it this month. (Not in stock at LGS)

What scopes are many of you using?
That is my next purchase.... ;)

Lateck,

#136 ·
Just filed my tax return at H&R... They got me close to $3K! Looks like I'll be getting one sooner than I thought! (*does dance around coffee table*)

That baby looks good with the Burris, I might have to copy you... I think I'd prefer fixed low power over a variable. I think I'll go with some quick detach rings and the tech sites rear though...

In case I forgot to mention it, I finally range tested the tech-sites on the mini-14, real easy on the eyes at 100 yds with the .125" aperture (old aperture was blurry for me). Shooting offhand and fairly quickly I was *for the most part* within a 6" circle for over 50 rounds. I'll be ordering the same one for the GSR without a doubt.

#137 ·
Truth be told,

I have always really liked this rifle concept!! When the Steyr Scout first came out, I definitely wanted one! But, realistically it was way out of my price range, (2K+ back then, I think?) being a normal working, (Hebrew Slave) type:(

This Ruger version looks really good, even without the integral bi-pod system (which, I believe was in the original Cooper specs.) I've enjoyed reading the first hand knowledge y'all have posted on this new version, and look forward to reading more of your thoughts and experiences with it.

Unfortunately, I was not lucky enough to get an $xK rebate from my UNCLE this year, so if I get to point where I "really" want one, I'll have to save up or, sell some stuff in the MarketPlace :eek: (and I hate doing that, 'cause I might need it!!;))

Take care, and enjoy!

#138 ·
Here's some stuff I have posted on the GSR:

Howdy All.

Just an update on my Ruger Gunsite Scout, and some of it's "handiness".

I find this short rifle to be the cat's meow as a truck gun. It's easy to pull out of the truck, swing around car/truck doors, and fast to swing from target to target, or to track running game. It's also very easy to carry. At first I thought the Xtra Long Super-Size magazine was going to be a hinderance, but that is not often the case for me. It makes a very natural holding point as one is trekking through the sonoran desert with rifle in hand. The only time I have found it to be a hinderance is when one is shooting from prone.

With optics, sling, and fully loaded magazine this rifle does not meet the pre-determined weight that a Scout Rifle is supposed to have but for me it's a minor annoyance, and not a determining factor. Heck, it's lighter than my lightweight AR for God's sake! It's also smoother to handle and not as user unfriendly as an AR, in my opinion. It's just different. I've been using a Red Dot optic, but have had some issues with it, so I'm going to a traditional scope to see how it shakes out shooting at longer distances.

Besides being easy to swing, I find the shorter barrel to be accurate. I wish my 7mm-08 was as accurate. I think Ruger got a lot right with this rifle. The few minor things that don't meet Scout specs are not things that I would let stop me from buying this rifle if I wanted a compact, easy to carry and track multiple targets with, and accurate rifle that is fairly light in weight and has lots of versatility and adjustability.

Biker
OK all, I have mine in my hot little hands.

It cost me $765 with shipping and transfer fee. I say that not to brag, but to let others get an idea as to what these go for, for comparision purposes. I will disclose however that I pay $0.00 on all tranfer fees, so it just cost me the price of the gun and shipping.

My dealer/FFL Holder doesn't charge me a transfer fee, and I'm grateful for that. He even told me that my cost on the gun was as much, or less, than what he would've sold it to me for by the time he included tax. I get guns at his cost + shipping as well. He's in business to make a dollar, but not off me apparently. In my past, approximately thirty-six hours with this rifle, I have come to the conclusion that this may be the one bolt action rifle without a thumbhole stock that I like. The forward mounted optic makes shouldering the rifle right handed, while using the left as my sighting eye, a breeze. I've been shooting for over the past twenty years with a left handed thumbhole stock on a right handed action. I hate going over the stock to manipulate the bolt with my left hand, and have no desire to use a left handed bolt having seen a hunter that shot left handed bolt guns miss a real trophy when he used a borrowed right handed action rifle. His left hand did a great job of polishing the left side of the borrowed rifle however as his trophy Elk disappeared in to the woods.

I've wanted to shoot longarms right handed for years, but was taught to shoot them left handed as a kid due to my dominant eye being my left eye. I am however right handed, but have forced myself to be somewhat ambidextrious and spend a lot of time shooting handguns left handed as well, although I carry and prefer to shoot right handed. I'm going to have fun playing with this rifle. I'll zero the Iron Sights for shooting left handed and the Red/Green Dot Optic for right handed shooting. I've noticed that one can shoot with the opposite hand as to the one they sighted in with, using red dot sights, with slight variation in POA/POI from the initial hand/eye combination. For me it's enough of a variation that I wouldn't be trying to do a deep brain shot that way, switching hands without rezeroing, but feel confident in hitting the center mass of a human torso.

Biker
I have one.

The rifle is a tack-driver that one can do well with. What I like about the rifle is it's versatility. From it's adjustable legnth of pull, to the vision mounting options. I find this to be a well thought out rifle that can serve many roles, and quite well I might add. Is it a Scout as defind by the late Col Cooper? Nope, according to some, but I don't much care about that. He put the concept in to play, and Ruger fielded it in a manner that will appeal to consumers.

For Bear Season I plan to have a red dot optic on this rifle, forward mount. Then, for deer season I will use a traditional scope set up. Thank you Ruger for including the scope rings with your rifle. That's a nice touch that saves a dollar or two, an important feature in this economy. The iron sights are robust, and combined with the barrel, very accurate. In my opinion this is one rifle that does very well at performing a variety of task.

The bolt throw gets smoother as one works it. It had some rough spots when first taken out of the box that have smoothed up quite nicely after working the bolt. If I was inclined, and I'm not, I could've paid a gunsmith to work these spots off the bolt with a little judicious sanding. I'm of the school of thought that 1,000 bolt throws will do what ten minutes with a piece of sandpaper will do. The barrel is quite accurate, with only a slight nod going to the Savage rifles for accuracy out of the box. It's so slight that unless you are shooting five rounds in the same hole at 100 Yards you won't notice it. It is entirely possible to get 1/2 MOA out of this rifle with the right handload.

The downside to this rifle is the midship rudder that Ruger calls a magazine. At over $50 each I won't be buying a lot of them, but then I shouldn't need a lot of them for hunting. It comes with a 10 Round magazine, that I use as a "spare". I use the 5 Round magazine as my hunting magazine. I understand why Ruger used a single stack magazine, and I don't fault them for that. Reliability is paramount after all. The greatest rifle in the world is useful for nothing more than a club if it is not reliable, IMHO.

The trigger is acceptable, with no creep or grittiness. My sample gives a clean break that is wearing in to what I consider an acceptable non-modified hunting rifle trigger. Combined with the accuracy this rifle displays, I am impressed. It's versatility is well thought out and implemented. The Flash Suppresor, you can take it or leave it. It is easily removed, and a cap installed to protect the threads if one desires. Me, I like it as I think it has some recoil reducing properties as well. I could be wrong about that, but I'm not so sure I am. The recoil pad is the finest I have found on any stock rifle, and wish other manufacturers would include it on their rifles.

If it sounds like I have become a fan of this rifle, you're right. At the present time I only own one bolt action rifle for hunting, and the Ruger Gunsite Scout is it. I think that should say something to those of you considering one. It is not a "Battle Rifle" but rather a rifle that can fulfill a lot of roles while specializing in no one particular role, and do that very well.

Biker
RUGER GUNSITE SCOUT RIFLE

I've got one.

It's my favorite .308 caliber bolt action rifle. The short barrel is a little tack driver and I plan on using it for most game animals that I would use the .308 for. For me that's deer, elk, antelope, mountain lion, and bear. I'll go with a larger caliber for moose, caribou, bison, and alaskan bears. I find the rifle to be very versitle and handy. Like the AR it is adaptable. I've removed the forward rail and turned it into a more traditional scoped rifle. That's because long shots are the norm for deer season here. I'd venture that 300 Yard shots are the "norm", thus a higer powered scope.

I've been very impressed with the rifles accuracy and "handiness". It is a rifle that I like to carry and port around. The Scout Rifle was designed as a General Purpose Rifle that one can defend, carry, and bring home the meat with. I'm a big fan of this rifle in a short period of time. If I go to hunting heavy timber I'll put the rail back on the rifle and put my red dot on it. The only reason I'm not using a scout scope right now is because I plan on taking longer shots this fall, and thus favor a more traditional scope set up at this time.

Prior to deciding to do some longer range hunting I had a red dot on my rifle and was comfortable out to 250 yards with it in the scout rifle mode. Before this rifle I was never much of a fan of packing a bolt action rifle. This rifle is easy to pack in the desert, can get the game, and in a pinch defend. That's what the Scout was designed to do. There are a few manufactuers of after market magazines, and the in line 10 round magazine, while looking like a midship rudder is actually very handy. I pack mine with a 5 round magazine in place and carry two 10 round magazines as spares.

The only negative to this rifle, according to some, is that you can't top off your ammunition supply with stripper clips. Hey guess what, you can't do that with an AR either! So for me that makes it a moot point. That's what spare magazines are for. This is a light, easy shooting, adaptable rifle that can function in many roles much like the AR can function in a variety of roles. It's not "perfect" in any role, like the AR isn't perfect, but it's dang good at a variety of roles.

With iron sights, and the ones that come on the rifle are dang good, it's a sweet shooter. With a scout scope it's mo' betta. With a traditional scope it's the cat's meow in a long range role. I liked the red dot scope on mine for traditional packing and humping, and brush shooting. The short barrel favors the brush too. The short barrel also favors the longer range stuff, as it's a tack driver. That's one thing that seems to be said often about this rifle, "It's a tack driver."

If you have need or want of a .308 caliber rifle, one would look long and hard to find a rifle that will fill more roles than this rifle, and do a better job.

Biker

PS: I've never been a fan of bolt action rifles for myself. They were fine for other folks until now. Now I'm a fan. That's said as a left handed rifle shooter shooting a right handed bolt.
Biker

#141 ·
Gem - That is a nice rig. I need to get mine set up too.

GDK - You might check out the weaver scout scope fixed x4. I have one but have not mounted or used it yet. Reticle is nice a sharp tho.

Bear - Those are interesting posts ... I have to say we think a lot alike. I plan to buy a few more 10 rounders for SHTF, but this will not be my primary SHTF rifle (although it could be!). For hunting white tail I'll use the 5 rounder. Stipper clips would have been nice but are not a deal breaker for me. I still think I would have prefered an 18" barrel tho.

5L

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.