Perfect Union banner
64K views 187 replies 31 participants last post by  bai78 
#1 ·
What's the opinion on Ruger's new rifle? At first, I really didn't care for it, just a first glance, but after some reading up on it, I've changed my mind. I really think that it would be a pretty handy rifle. I've been looking for a .308 bolt action and this might be the one. I like the controlled feed vs. the push feed, and I like that they are using AI mags for this (M1A mags would have been better). I also like the mini sights, and this has the same set-up. I think back-up sights are a must have for any SHTF rifle. I do think Ruger makes one of the best looking laminated stocks out there, but I would like a Hogue or a polymer stock like my Minis have. Accuracy looks pretty good, from the article I read on Arfcom.

What say you?!

RO

P.S. sorry I don't know how to post pics.:unsure:

#28 ·
I ordered an American Defense AD-RECON-SL mount today and am going to try this rifle with my Leupold 2.5-8x variable attached. I think the scope might be a little too big for this short little rifle but it should give me a really good idea of the rifle's accuracy potential.

I hate big scopes on little guns. It always makes me think of a fat guy on a tricycle.

#36 ·
I received my ADM mount in the mail today and have it attached to my GSR. Of course the quality of the mount is top notch and the package looks good all put together and mounted.

On the down side, the scope is about .25" too high for proper cheek weld and I'm afraid something like the ARMS #22 low rings might be a better choice in this regard. Still, I think I'll try to shoot the setup as-is over the weekend and see if I can't get used to it.

I would get some pics posted but it's too late tonight. Even if I don't shoot, I will at least post some pictures for y'all to see.

#38 ·
The Warne QD rings would probably work well, too. I could use standard rings since I doubt I'll carry the Scout in harm's way or ever use it in an environment that would cause the Leupold to fail but what's the point of having built-in iron sights if the scope isn't readily detachable?

Here are a couple pictures of the Scout with the ADM mount. It's close to good but is just a smidgen too high for my taste. On the plus side, the slightly elevated height does provide more clearance between the scope and the bolt handle. This would be good when using thick gloves or for getting maximum leverage to eject a stuck case or something like that. Still, I'd prefer the scope to sit a little lower.

And I still need a sling...

#40 · (Edited)
Zoo-wee-mama!:D

Maybe a cheek pad by Blackhawk and roll with it?

Wilderness Tactical Ching sling!

Can you tell I'm about ready to jump on one of these?

5L
I just bought a used Leupold M8 2x scope with QD rings. The scope has a few dings and scratches but nothing too serious. My plan is to shoot the rifle with the pistol scope mounted out and then shoot it with the rifle scope set on 2.5x to get a better idea of which optical platform will be best on The One Rifle.

For a sling I think I will go with a padded nylon sling from VTAC. I've used one of these on an AR for awhile and like the quick adjustment feature. Plus it can be used to provide some stability.

Range report tomorrow, hopefully.

#42 ·
Really, really cool Tokarev!

Question... Are there rings out that allow the rear peep sight to be used when scoped? The pics almost look like they are high enough and would allow a sight tube...

#43 ·
Very nice rifle and setup, How do you like that full rail? And how does the sight on it compare to the factory sight as far as usefulness and adjustment?

Posts like these are making it hard to take my time getting my ruger scout out of layaway. I am chomping at the bit already.

#45 ·
Very nice rifle and setup, How do you like that full rail? And how does the sight on it compare to the factory sight as far as usefulness and adjustment?

Posts like these are making it hard to take my time getting my ruger scout out of layaway. I am chomping at the bit already.
The full length rail certainly adds to the gun's overall utility. This will allow the user to mount a red dot and a tip-off magnifier or even night vision without too much hassle.

#46 ·

I played with this setup a little last night before the sun went down. I shot at some rocks and etc just to get a working zero. Anyway, I am liking the forward mounted optic better and better the more I play with it. It's fast to the shoulder and it allows unlimited clearance on the bolt handle. I can be aggressive and sloppy with my working of the action without worry of interference between the scope's eye piece and the bolt handle. This might not be a big deal really. But I think it might be important on a rifle that's supposed to be a hunter, a plinker, a sniper and an assault rifle.

#53 ·
This is the variable scout scope. It is available as a custom order. I ordered mine with a German #4 reticle.

The scope is rather long and you can see that it extends back over the ejection port a couple of inches. I mounted it as far forward as possible and, if I move it any farther, I can't see through the scope when it's on 4x.

The scope is fairly bright and clear and should be a nice conventional scope for this rifle. From what I've seen, there really isn't anything available in a scout scope that wasn't available twenty or twenty-five years ago. I'd like to see somebody come out with a 30mm tube and an illuminated reticle.

#54 ·
On my Savage scout and marlin 45-70 guide gun, I use Nikon encore handgun scopes, and have another one to use when I get my Ruger scout. One is an older monarch with target turrets and the other two are newer encore versions with BDC reticles.

They are 2.5-8x28, and the eye relief is just right for a scout rifle and for me not enough eye relief for a handgun. On my marlin 44mag lever-action, I use a cheap NCstar 2-8power illuminated reticle EER scope. I works good on the 44mag, I just don't know if I would trust it on any of my more heavy recoiling guns. Is feels and looks a little lacking in the quality department.

#55 ·
I've heard of a lot of guys using pistol scopes as rifle scout scopes. When you think about it, the felt shock from a .44 magnum revolver is probably a lot more than a .308 rifle. I wouldn't try it with an NCStar either, but there are some decent BSA and Simmons scopes that I've read are pretty popular with old surplus bolt action scout setups.

#58 ·
I talked to Chris at Alpha Industries Mfg about the AI compatible mags he sells. He said his mags needed a slight modification along the rear spine to work in the Ruger and he's getting the mags modified. The modified mags will be shipping next week.

More magazine sizes/prices/options is a good thing and I look forward to getting a couple of these to try in my gun.

#60 ·
Parallax will/should not be an issue with scout configured rifles using pistol scopes. Remember, these same scopes are used on Remington XP and Encore handguns chambered in rifle cartridges. Both of these guns operate in similar envelopes so the needs of a "Scout Rifle" shooter can be easily met with a pistol scope.

FWIW Parallax issues are more commonly found with lesser quality scopes. Buy better glass and you won't have to worry about it.
I have been using a 2x Burris pistol scope for better than 10 years on my swedish pscout; it has always put the 6.5 right where I want it!

#61 ·
Good points.

In talking with folks at both Burris and Leupold, it sounds like most extended eye relief scopes are designed for rifles with a tremendous amount of recoil. The idea is to put the scope a couple additional inches away from the shooter's eye/face to avoid the extremely humorous "crescent" cut above the shooting eye. I had an old boss who had a custom .340 Weatherby built on a Sako action. Beautiful rifle but ungodly recoil! It could have benefitted from an LER scope. But I digress...

Anyway, I'm learning that the issue with some pistol scopes is that the eye relief might be extended too much for some rifles. These pistol scopes can require 12" or more of distance from the eye for proper use. That shouldn't be a problem with the forward rail on the Ruger.

#62 ·
IMO the maximum minimum eye relief for a pistol scope on a scout rifle should be 10 inches. Most mfg's will either publish the eye relief range, (ie 10-24"); or they will simply post the minimum, (ie 20").

example

you are looking at 4 pistol scopes and the published eye relief are as follows:

1. 10-24"
2. 12-20"
3. 9.5-28"
4. 20"

1 & 3 should work, but 2 & 4 will not. YMMV

#63 ·
Here's the gun without the XS Sight extended mounting rail. I've also reinstalled the factory Ruger rear.

Note how far the Leupold variable scout extends back over the receiver. I moved the scope back slightly from where I had it on the XS rail so it's more forgiving when cranked up to 4x.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.