LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 22:43   #1
Points: 3,805, Level: 39 Points: 3,805, Level: 39 Points: 3,805, Level: 39
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Mossberg 800AM in .308, was this an okay rifle?

A couple of weeks back I was able to purchase a Mannlicher stocked rifle. It is stamped Mossberg 800AM. A Tasco one piece bridge scope mount is mounted over the receiver, but no rings or scope came with it. It has a butter knife style bolt handle and fixed magazine with a trapdoor mag release on the bottom. Wood is in pretty good shape and it isn't as though .308 is rare.

What through me was the price. This rifle was 80 dollars plus another 20 for the 1 year extended warranty at Gander Mountain.

Has anyone ever used one of these rifles? All I can find online about this model was an old advertisement from the 60's with Robert Stack (of the Untouchables and Unsolved Mysteries) standing over a dead boar and saying that his Mossberg is all the gun that he needs and some generic information that these were designed by Seecamp of small .32 auto fame.
Gatorfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:15   #2
Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77 Points: 14,278, Level: 77
Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9% Activity: 11.9%
Last Achievements

I sighted in my buddy rays Mossberg 800A which is the same as the one you looked at only with a sporter stock instead of the mannlicher. Its a solid gun, Id own one if I could ever find one. Heres a 100 yard target from when I sighted in his rifle last fall it was a real shooter!!

Last edited by HighDesertWolf; 05-01-2008 at 15:18.
HighDesertWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 02:46   #3
Registered Member
Points: 3,335, Level: 35 Points: 3,335, Level: 35 Points: 3,335, Level: 35
Last Achievements

Mossberg 800a

I happen to have a Mossberg 800a that was made in 1965. It has both front and rear fold down sight, see thru scope rings with a Bushnell 3x9 scope. I have a very nice leather sling attached. I took it to my gunsmith last week for some minor cosmetic repair and I inquired about replacing the stock. He informed me that it was the best looking 42 yr old rifle stock that he had ever seen and encouraged me not to replace it. It's worth is between $250.00 and $300.00 but to me, its priceless. It is the most accurate firearm I have ever fired and will go to my son when I pass on. I keep it well oiled, clean and I wipe the stock with tru oil. If you have the opportunity to find one, buy it! It is worth it.
MG42ADMIRER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:02   #4
Registered Member
Points: 1,000, Level: 16 Points: 1,000, Level: 16 Points: 1,000, Level: 16
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by MG42ADMIRER View Post
I happen to have a Mossberg 800a that was made in 1965. It has both front and rear fold down sight, see thru scope rings with a Bushnell 3x9 scope. I have a very nice leather sling attached. I took it to my gunsmith last week for some minor cosmetic repair and I inquired about replacing the stock. He informed me that it was the best looking 42 yr old rifle stock that he had ever seen and encouraged me not to replace it. It's worth is between $250.00 and $300.00 but to me, its priceless. It is the most accurate firearm I have ever fired and will go to my son when I pass on. I keep it well oiled, clean and I wipe the stock with tru oil. If you have the opportunity to find one, buy it! It is worth it.
The Mossberg .308 A.M. is an excellent sporting rilfle. While this firearm is not a particulary expensive rifel it is a very different piece with is forearm extending the fulll length of the barrell. There were about 1700 of these rifels produced and were sold by Western Auto Stores (remeber them ) They could be purchased brand new with a westernfield scope for around $80.00. The sling mounts and sling were also included along with kick pad.
I own a .308 AM myself. It is in excellent condition and I still hunt with it. Every time someone new sees it they instantly want to know how much I would sell it for. I purchased the piece for $100.00 when I was 17 . I have been offered as much as $750.00 for the rifel. It is no where near worth that amount. While it is a great shooting and very well balanced rifel and very accurate, it may fetch $250.00 from a experienced gun trader, and that would be in excellent condition.
I would not sell mine for any amount as it is such a different piece. The offers that I have received have been from individuals that were obviously not educated in firearms.
As this rifel was limited in it's production, I cannot figure out why the price remains so low in resell value. I will hold on to mine and continue to enjoy with the hope that someone will see this rifel is a colletable piece, as it is a very destinctive and beautiful weapon. I feel honored to own the one I have. I will hand this piece down to my grandson with the hope that he will respect it as I have.

Last edited by neckbonemr; 12-23-2010 at 09:13. Reason: mispelled word
neckbonemr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 20:37   #5
Registered Member
Points: 197, Level: 3 Points: 197, Level: 3 Points: 197, Level: 3
Last Achievements

Hi. My dad passed his 800 A down to me. I enjoy shooting it alot. I was wondering how you have yours set up "Scope and such" and what kind of ammo you are using?
ccrowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 15:08   #6
Registered Member
Points: 3,335, Level: 35 Points: 3,335, Level: 35 Points: 3,335, Level: 35
Last Achievements

I have a Bushnell 3x9 scope with see thru scope rings. I also have a bipod mounted on the forend. As for ammo I usually use 150 to 180 grain bullets depending on what it is that I am hunting. I am missing 3/4 of an inch of bone in my right shoulder blade so firing it too much is a painful experience even with a recoil pad and a shoulder pad. I also prefer the open sights since I am a better shot with them. When I was younger, my dad took me out behind the barn with his .22 single shot and 500 rds of ammo. He took the lid off of a 2 gal metal gas can walked off 100 yards and said don't come back unless you are out of ammo or have hit the target. He noticed that I quite firing after 3 rds and came out to see if I was still alive. I explained that I had hit the target and when I retrieved it for him, it had two holes in it. He left without a word and came back in a few minutes with more small targets. Boy did I have fun.
MG42ADMIRER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 21:25   #7
Registered Member
Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4 Points: 225, Level: 4
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Gatorfarmer View Post
A couple of weeks back I was able to purchase a Mannlicher stocked rifle. It is stamped Mossberg 800AM. A Tasco one piece bridge scope mount is mounted over the receiver, but no rings or scope came with it. It has a butter knife style bolt handle and fixed magazine with a trapdoor mag release on the bottom. Wood is in pretty good shape and it isn't as though .308 is rare.

What through me was the price. This rifle was 80 dollars plus another 20 for the 1 year extended warranty at Gander Mountain.

Has anyone ever used one of these rifles? All I can find online about this model was an old advertisement from the 60's with Robert Stack (of the Untouchables and Unsolved Mysteries) standing over a dead boar and saying that his Mossberg is all the gun that he needs and some generic information that these were designed by Seecamp of small .32 auto fame.
Here is a pretty good post from another site from someone with quite a bit of personal knowledge about the 800MS:

The 3 most common cartridges chambered in the Mossberg 800 were the 308, designated as "A", 243, designated as "B", and 22-250, designated as "C".

800A/B/C = on the standard grade rifles, the roll stamps just ID'd the cartridge chambered.

800AM/BM/CM = on the mannlicher stocked rifles, the rolls stamps ID'd the both the cartridge chambered and the mannlicher stock. The 800s with mannlicher stocks came with 20" barrels, while the other sporters had 22" barrels and the varmint style had 24" barrels.

800ASM/BSM/CSM = on the scope mounted rifles, the roll stamps ID'd both the cartridge chambered and "SM" for "scope mounted" or "scope model".

800BV/CV = on the varmint rifles, the roll stamps ID'd the cartridge chambered and "V" for varmint contour/weight barrel configuration.

If you're interest in finding out more about your Mossberg 800, You might check with Vic Havlin for additional interesting information on it. IIRC, Vic and Cheryl Havlin are co-founders of the Mossberg Collectors Association. Havlin Sales & Service - Mossberg Gun Parts
BackPhil is offline   Reply With Quote