LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2006, 20:44   #1
ModeratorNWOModerator
Points: 14,175, Level: 77 Points: 14,175, Level: 77 Points: 14,175, Level: 77
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Last Achievements

Mosin-nagant 7.62x54r ammunition price.

Hi all,

Saturday I went to my favorite gun shop to see if I could get my Father In Law an SKS. He has been wanting one for a while now, and I thought it would be a great early Fathers Day present for him.

Well, sure enough my friend Jay had a beautiful YUGO SKS for a great price. I told him I wanted it. Done deal. My Father In Law is very happy!

A strange thing though, as I was walking out the door with the SKS, a 1953 MOSIN-NAGANT rifle hopped off the rack and followed me out the door.

Well, I couldnt let it follow me home without telling Jay about it, so I walked back in and told him I wanted the NAGANT as well. Got a great deal on it, and TWO rifles came home with me.

Now to my question:

Jay did not have any ammo for the NAGANT in his store, so I went to another shop to look for some 7.62x54R ammo. They had allot of BROWN BEAR ammunition for $9.99 a box of 20. I bought a box. Did I get hosed? I sure felt like it.

I know I can order it cheaper online, but I wanted to shoot my NAGANT tomorrow so I bought just one box of the BROWN BEAR stuff.

Good Shooting!

"The AK-47. It'll never jam, never break. Rugged, reliable, and so simple to operate, children could use it....and they do" Yuri Orlov. 'Lord Of War'

Last edited by NWO; 04-24-2006 at 21:28.
NWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 22:37   #2
Points: 14,290, Level: 77 Points: 14,290, Level: 77 Points: 14,290, Level: 77
Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3% Activity: 2.3%
Last Achievements

Brown bear is typically a non-corrosive ammo so you will spend a little more for it.
Yes you can find TONS of 7.62x5 ammo for DIRT cheap, but its corrosive. You can shoot corrosive ammo as I'm sure you are aware without any consequence but you have to clean the bore almost imediately after you are done shooting with water or windex (my preference). Otherwise the bore seems to rust before your eyes.
I had a beautyful M44 that was a war trophy I bought from the man who brought it home from over seas. He had never shot it and it looked like it had never seen any use at all. The bore was shiney as a new penny. I shot 10 rounds out of it and put it away becasue it was just too pretty.

Well...I didn't clean the bore with water before I put it away, just cleaning solvent. The barrel now has spot pitting on it and I feel like a horses rear for defacing a historical rifle

I now prefer to buy the WOLF gold line or winchester white box for my good guns and leave the corrosive stuff for my $60 plinker rifles. I know better now but there are always those times when you have to throw the rifles in the safe and dash off to something else (and forget about them) leaving problems.
gunrun45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 22:46   #3
Boogyman

Wolf makes 7.62x54R FMJ. 500 rounds for $125 at SPG. Lessee, that comes to about $5 bucks per 20-rnd box, right? It's not the Gold Line, but it's not corrosive either.

I want a Mosin Nagant too, NWO. Funny how some guns will just follow you home, aye?

Last edited by Boogyman; 04-24-2006 at 22:48.
Old 04-25-2006, 17:10   #4
ModeratorNWOModerator
Points: 14,175, Level: 77 Points: 14,175, Level: 77 Points: 14,175, Level: 77
Last Achievements

Ya Boogy. Some guns just follow you no matter what! They can be very persistant!

You should get a Mosin-Nagant. They are pretty inexpensive, and are not all that hard to find I don't think!

Today after work I went to another gun shop here in town and he has the 7.62x54r Barnaul for $7.50 a box. Quite a bit cheaper than that 'other' shop I went to yesterday. I bought two boxes today at the local shop.

The shop I went to today also had a TON of BOTH Barnaul AND WOLF 7.62x39 ammunition in. I was quite excited! I think the dry spell is about over!

Good Shooting!

"The AK-47. It'll never jam, never break. Rugged, reliable, and so simple to operate, children could use it....and they do" Yuri Orlov. 'Lord Of War'
NWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 00:05   #5
Boogyman

NWO, a laminated stock M91 is in my future, don't worry.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:26   #6
Points: 5,976, Level: 50 Points: 5,976, Level: 50 Points: 5,976, Level: 50
Last Achievements

You guys are missing out if you haven't yet shot a short-barreled Mosin Nagant. I have an M44 and an M38 right now. Shooting them is quite impressive. Sounds like a canon went off, and the recoil matches nicely. If you shoot at or near dusk, you get the full effect with an enormous muzzle flash! I mean, we're talking about a 4-foot fireball here!

I've found the most impressive muzzle flash can be had with Hungarian yellow-tip heavy ball ammo. Yes, it's corrosive, but that doesn't scare me. I keep a squirt bottle filled with a 50/50 mix of ammonia and water on hand to neutralize the corrosive salts in the primer. Just a quick squirt down the barrel and over the bolt, and then cleaning like normal. No biggie. I bought 880 rounds of this ammo awhile back for about $80 shipped to my door. Surplus 7.62x54R ammo is extremely cheap and plentiful right now, as long as you're willing to spend a few extra minutes cleaning afterward. For someone on a budget like me, this is the best route to take.
The Mosin Nagant is one of the best deals in surplus firearms right now. Cheap rifles and cheap ammo. Gotta love it!
Old 07-03-2006, 01:43   #7
Points: 6,661, Level: 53 Points: 6,661, Level: 53 Points: 6,661, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by gunrun45
Brown bear is typically a non-corrosive ammo so you will spend a little more for it.
Yes you can find TONS of 7.62x5 ammo for DIRT cheap, but its corrosive. You can shoot corrosive ammo as I'm sure you are aware without any consequence but you have to clean the bore almost imediately after you are done shooting with water or windex (my preference). Otherwise the bore seems to rust before your eyes.
I had a beautyful M44 that was a war trophy I bought from the man who brought it home from over seas. He had never shot it and it looked like it had never seen any use at all. The bore was shiney as a new penny. I shot 10 rounds out of it and put it away becasue it was just too pretty.

Well...I didn't clean the bore with water before I put it away, just cleaning solvent. The barrel now has spot pitting on it and I feel like a horses rear for defacing a historical rifle

I now prefer to buy the WOLF gold line or winchester white box for my good guns and leave the corrosive stuff for my $60 plinker rifles. I know better now but there are always those times when you have to throw the rifles in the safe and dash off to something else (and forget about them) leaving problems.

You sure? Yesterday I went to the range with my M-44 and shot 40 rounds of Corrosive 7.62X54, it took me a good 5-6 Hours to get home. I thought these Rifles bores werent Chromed, but after a quick Ammonia patch down the bore and a patch of Cleaning Solvent this Rifle's bore is as shiny as my AK.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 15:59   #8
Last Achievements

Yep, I'm sure. As noted above, I didn't clean my cherrished M44 with ANYTHING before I put it away (like an idiot). I had little experience shooting corrosive ammo at that point (no excuse for me). If I shoot corrosive ammo out of my mosin nagants now, I make sure that I take a bottle of windex with me to the range. Just a few squirts and a few patches and no more worries. Windex is jsut my way of carrying around my amonia watered down.

I have a old chopped and converted one that can attest to the worst case possible of salt corrosion from corrosive ammo. I thought that barrel was beyond any use untill I spent about 3 days cleaning it with a "do it yourslf" electric bore cleaner and wore though a bore brush. Now its passable.

There are some great tips at www.surplusrifle.com they have some great tips and tricks. They also did a recent evaluation of different salt removers to prevent corrosion when shooting corrosive ammunition. Interesting stuff.
Old 07-03-2006, 16:18   #9
Points: 6,661, Level: 53 Points: 6,661, Level: 53 Points: 6,661, Level: 53
Last Achievements

Yep, I'm sure. As noted above, I didn't clean my cherrished M44 with ANYTHING before I put it away (like an idiot). I had little experience shooting corrosive ammo at that point (no excuse for me). If I shoot corrosive ammo out of my mosin nagants now, I make sure that I take a bottle of windex with me to the range. Just a few squirts and a few patches and no more worries. Windex is jsut my way of carrying around my amonia watered down.

I have a old chopped and converted one that can attest to the worst case possible of salt corrosion from corrosive ammo. I thought that barrel was beyond any use untill I spent about 3 days cleaning it with a "do it yourslf" electric bore cleaner and wore though a bore brush. Now its passable.

There are some great tips at www.surplusrifle.com they have some great tips and tricks. They also did a recent evaluation of different salt removers to prevent corrosion when shooting corrosive ammunition. Interesting stuff.
6-7 Hours after shooting is ok right? It takes me awhile to get home. Next week ill bring a bottle and some stuff.
Enforcer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 16:22   #10
Last Achievements

6-7 hrs shold be fine. Mine was in there for 2 days before something made me pick it up and check it. I wouldn't let it sit overnight though. I think it has a lot to do with the environment (humidity, etc...) getting to the bore.
Old 07-03-2006, 16:48   #11
Points: 4,522, Level: 42 Points: 4,522, Level: 42 Points: 4,522, Level: 42
Last Achievements

I think it has a lot to do with the environment (humidity, etc...) getting to the bore.
I recall Jeff Cooper commenting on a couple of old German MP40 submachine guns that were found in North Africa in the late '60s. In spite of the fact that they'd obvously been fired with corrosive primed ammo, the bores still looked fine.

Where I live (the Arizona high country) the humidity is often below 10%, and it's no big deal to take your time about cleaning a rifle that's dirty from firing corrosive ammo. I try to do it the same day, but if I can't, it's always still fine the next morning.

But, that's Arizona for you. I sure wouldn't be so casual about it if I lived in Mississippi!
Arizona Mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 19:51   #12
Points: 6,227, Level: 51 Points: 6,227, Level: 51 Points: 6,227, Level: 51
Last Achievements

I like to run a few Windex soaked patches down the bore at the range while the barrel is still hot. Then i dry the bore with a few patches then oil the bore with a few patches soaked with Break Free. Now i can clean the rifle when ever i want. Plus a Break Free presoak makes it easy to clean. Mike
Mike 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:30   #13
_T_
Points: 3,143, Level: 34 Points: 3,143, Level: 34 Points: 3,143, Level: 34
Last Achievements

It is best to assume that all surplus ammo is corrosive. Unless you use new manufactured ammo like Wolf that says "Non-corrosive" on the box, make it a habit to use an ammonia solution after shooting.
_T_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 13:47   #14
Points: 12,000, Level: 71 Points: 12,000, Level: 71 Points: 12,000, Level: 71
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%
Last Achievements

BA
What's corossive is a salt from the primer burning. Salt is hydroscopic, that is to say it attracts moisture from the air, and holds it in contact with your barrel. Flushing the bore (and other parts exposed to the burning powder) with water (ammonia NOT required) will wash away those salts. Follow that with your regular cleaning/oiling routene.

Anyone that's dealt with a outboard that has been run in salt water knows to flush the cooling system with fresh water afterwards (and to wash down the entire engine with fresh water also) to prevent salt damage from occuring (never heard of those guys using "ammonia" for that job, did you?)

As far as "testing" for corrosive priming goes, it's not that hard. Get 3 plain steel nails, and space them a couple incha apart in a board. Remove the bullet and powder from a known NON-corrosove, a corossive and one of the rounds your wondering about. From a range of 6", "Fire" the NC at nail 1, the unknown at nail 2 and the known corrosive at nail 3. Set the board outside for a week and than look at the nails.
Tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:38   #15
Points: 4,292, Level: 41 Points: 4,292, Level: 41 Points: 4,292, Level: 41
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Tailgunner View Post
BA
What's corossive is a salt from the primer burning. Salt is hydroscopic, that is to say it attracts moisture from the air, and holds it in contact with your barrel. Flushing the bore (and other parts exposed to the burning powder) with water (ammonia NOT required) will wash away those salts. Follow that with your regular cleaning/oiling routene.

Anyone that's dealt with a outboard that has been run in salt water knows to flush the cooling system with fresh water afterwards (and to wash down the entire engine with fresh water also) to prevent salt damage from occuring (never heard of those guys using "ammonia" for that job, did you?)

As far as "testing" for corrosive priming goes, it's not that hard. Get 3 plain steel nails, and space them a couple incha apart in a board. Remove the bullet and powder from a known NON-corrosove, a corossive and one of the rounds your wondering about. From a range of 6", "Fire" the NC at nail 1, the unknown at nail 2 and the known corrosive at nail 3. Set the board outside for a week and than look at the nails.
"fire" as in setting the primer on fire correct? this board sure does save me a lot of headaches sometimes. 6 months ago (before i even owned the rifle) i'd have probably fired corrosive ammo through it without a second though. lucky i didn't have the chance to do that. thanks for your help
blitzarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:19   #16
Points: 12,000, Level: 71 Points: 12,000, Level: 71 Points: 12,000, Level: 71
Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2% Activity: 8.2%
Last Achievements

Fire as in load the (now empty) case into your rifle, hold the muzzle 6" from the nail, and pull the trigger.
You will have to clean your barrel afterwards (because you know at least 1 primer was corossive).

DON'T try to light primers outside of the rifle.

Non corrosive (military) ammo is a fairly recent development, with the first countries adapting it in the 1950's (comericial adaptation oes back into the 30's). Before that ALL ammo was corrosive and people knew how to clean their firearms properly (think about it, blackpowder is corrosive also, and the cleaning technique is the same).
The US fought several major wars with corossive ammo, including BOTH world wars. Those rifles are still going strong, because they knew to use water / water based solvents to clean them.
Tailgunner is offline   Reply With Quote